精華區beta IA 關於我們 聯絡資訊
以下是美國民主黨候選人8/28接受黨內提名演說全文與中譯,相信可提供亟待轉型的 國內政治環境、一般民眾與政治工作者們參考。(原稿來源:CNN新聞網) 原文網址http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/28/obama.transcript/index.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------- To Chairman Dean and my great friend Dick Durbin; and to all my fellow citizens of this great nation. With profound gratitude and great humility, I accept your nomination for presidency of the United States. 狄恩主席,我的好友狄克杜賓,以及這個偉大國家的所有公民們,我懷著深切的謝意與謙卑,接受你們提名我為美國總統候選人。 Let me express my thanks to the historic slate of candidates who accompanied me on this journey, and especially the one who traveled the farthest -- a champion for working Americans and an inspiration to my daughters and yours -- Hillary Rodham Clinton. To President Bill Clinton, who made last night the case for change as only he can make it; to Ted Kennedy, who embodies the spirit of service; and to the next vice president of the United States, Joe Biden, I thank you. I am grateful to finish this journey with one of the finest statesmen of our time, a man at ease with everyone from world leaders to the conductors on the Amtrak train he still takes home every night. 我要感謝在這趟初選旅程中陪我一路走來的偉大競爭對手們,尤其是走得最遠的那位。她不但是美國受薪階級家庭的鬥士,也是你我女兒的楷模──希拉蕊柯林頓。我要感謝比爾柯林頓前總統,他昨晚發表了無與倫比的演說,讓我們更進一步認清:我們必須改變現狀。我要感謝泰德甘迺迪,因為從他身上,我們了解到什麼是為民服務的精神。我也要感謝我們的下一任美國副總統──喬拜登,我很感激他能陪我一起完成這趟旅程,他是當代最優秀的政治家之一,無論面對他國領袖,或者每晚通勤所搭電車的列車長,或是其他任何人士,他都能與他們處之泰然。 To the love of my life, our next first lady, Michelle Obama, and to Malia and Sasha -- I love you so much, and I'm so proud of you. 我要感謝我一生所愛的人,也就是我們的準第一夫人──蜜雪兒歐巴馬,以及我們的女兒瑪莉亞和莎夏,我愛妳們,我也以妳們為榮。 Four years ago, I stood before you and told you my story -- of the brief union between a young man from Kenya and a young woman from Kansas who weren't well off or well-known, but shared a belief that in America, their son could achieve whatever he put his mind to. 四年前,我曾經向大家介紹過我的家世──一位來自肯亞的年輕男子和一位來自堪薩斯州的年輕女子共組短暫家庭的故事。他們當時是貧困的無名小卒,但他們享有一個共同信念──在美國,他們的兒子只要努力打拚,就會有成功的一天。 It is that promise that has always set this country apart -- that through hard work and sacrifice, each of us can pursue our individual dreams but still come together as one American family, to ensure that the next generation can pursue their dreams as well. 也正是這樣子的一個承諾,長期以來,一直使我們這個國家別具特色。這個承諾就是,只要透過努力打拚與犧牲奉獻,我們每一個人都能追尋我們自己的夢想,同時,作為整個美國大家庭的一分子,我們要確保我們的下一代也能夠追尋他們的夢想。 That's why I stand here tonight. Because for 232 years, at each moment when that promise was in jeopardy, ordinary men and women -- students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors -- found the courage to keep it alive. 這正是我今晚站在這裡的原因。因為從美國開國至今232年以來,每當這個承諾面臨危險之時,平民百姓們,學生和軍人,農夫和教師,護士和警衛們,都會鼓起勇氣捍衛它。 We meet at one of those defining moments -- a moment when our nation is at war, our economy is in turmoil, and the American promise has been threatened once more. 我們現在正面臨同樣關鍵性的時刻,我們的國家正處於戰爭之中,我們的經濟正處於危難中之。美國的承諾,再一次受到了威脅。 Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and even more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach. 今晚,有愈來愈多美國人失去了工作,也有愈來愈多美國人,雖然比以前還要努力工作,但卻得到比以前還要少的報酬;有愈來愈多人失去了自己的房子,或者眼睜睜地看著自己的房子價格崩跌;愈來愈多人有車子卻開不起,無力支付信用卡帳單,也負擔不起學費。 These challenges are not all of government's making. But the failure to respond is a direct result of a broken politics in Washington and the failed policies of George W. Bush. 這些挑戰並不全然是政府所造成的。但是,不克回應這些挑戰,卻是腐敗政府以及喬治布希的失敗政策所直接導致的結果。 America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this. 我們美國本是一個美好的國家,但這八年來,竟淪落至此。 This country is more decent than one where a woman in Ohio, on the brink of retirement, finds herself one illness away from disaster after a lifetime of hard work. 在俄亥俄州,有位辛勤工作了大半輩子的婦人,在即將退休之前,才發現身體已經百病叢生了。這個國家不該讓人如此不堪才是。 We're a better country than one where a man in Indiana has to pack up the equipment he's worked on for 20 years and watch it shipped off to China, and then chokes up as he explains how he felt like a failure when he went home to tell his family the news. 在印第安納州有位男士,在工作了20多年後,卻必須打包並眼睜睜地看著他的裝備被運往中國。當他回家告知家人這個消息時,那種挫敗的感覺,讓他在向我說明的時候差一點說不出話來。我們不該是如此差勁的國家。 We are more compassionate than a government that lets veterans sleep on our streets and families slide into poverty; that sits on its hands while a major American city drowns before our eyes. 我們的政府讓退伍軍人流落街頭,讓許多家庭陷入貧困。當美國的其中一個主要城市在我們眼前被洪水淹沒的時候,這個政府卻還在睡大頭覺。我們美國人不會像這種政府那樣沒有同情心。 Tonight, I say to the people of America, to Democrats and Republicans and independents across this great land -- enough! This moment -- this election -- is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive. Because next week, in Minnesota, the same party that brought you two terms of George Bush and Dick Cheney will ask this country for a third. And we are here because we love this country too much to let the next four years look just like the last eight. On November 4, we must stand up and say: "Eight is enough." 今晚,我要告訴所有的美國人,我要向這塊偉大土地上的民主黨和共和黨人以及無黨無派者說:「夠了!」此時此刻,這場選舉,就是我們的契機,讓我們在21世紀能夠繼續維繫我們的美國承諾。因為,下個禮拜在明尼蘇達州,那個當年讓布希與錢尼連任的同一個政黨,將會要求大家給他們第三任的任期。而我們今天在這裡,就是不願意讓我們未來四年再像過去八年一樣,因為我們熱愛我們的國家。11月4日,我們必須站出來說:「這八年來受夠了!」 Now let there be no doubt. The Republican nominee, John McCain, has worn the uniform of our country with bravery and distinction, and for that we owe him our gratitude and our respect. And next week, we'll also hear about those occasions when he's broken with his party as evidence that he can deliver the change that we need. 毫無疑問地,共和黨提名的候選人──約翰麥肯,他曾經身為我國軍中勇敢且優秀的一員。基於此,我們必須向他致上我們的謝意與敬意。下個禮拜,我們也將聽到他述說他曾經和他的政黨撕破臉的某些情況,來論證他能夠提供我們所需要的改變。 But the record's clear: John McCain has voted with George Bush 90 percent of the time. Sen. McCain likes to talk about judgment, but really, what does it say about your judgment when you think George Bush has been right more than 90 percent of the time? I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to take a 10 percent chance on change. 然而,我們可從他的記錄清楚看出:約翰麥肯在國會表決投票時,有百分之九十的情況與布希站在同一陣線。麥肯參議員喜歡談論判斷力的問題,但實際上,當你認為喬治布希百分之九十以上的判斷都正確時,這會是什麼樣的判斷力呢?我不知道大家會怎麼想,但我可不想冒險接受只有10%改變的機率。 The truth is, on issue after issue that would make a difference in your lives -- on health care and education and the economy -- Sen. McCain has been anything but independent. He said that our economy has made "great progress" under this president. He said that the fundamentals of the economy are strong. And when one of his chief advisers -- the man who wrote his economic plan -- was talking about the anxieties that Americans are feeling, he said that we were just suffering from a "mental recession," and that we've become, and I quote, "a nation of whiners." 事實上,在所有會造成我們生活重大改變的議題上,包括在醫療照護、教育以及經濟等議題上,麥肯參議員從不具有獨立思考的能力。他說我們的經濟在布希總統的領導下有了偉大的進步。他說我們的經濟基本面仍是強勁的。幫他撰寫經濟政見的一位重要智囊曾經指出:美國民眾正處於嚴重焦慮之中。然而,麥肯卻說我們只不過正在遭逢一場「心理層面上的蕭條」,他甚至說我們已經成為「只會哎哎叫的國民」。 A nation of whiners? Tell that to the proud autoworkers at a Michigan plant who, after they found out it was closing, kept showing up every day and working as hard as ever, because they knew there were people who counted on the brakes that they made. Tell that to the military families who shoulder their burdens silently as they watch their loved ones leave for their third or fourth or fifth tour of duty. These are not whiners. They work hard and they give back and they keep going without complaint. These are the Americans I know. 我們只會哎哎叫嗎?去跟那些有榮譽感的汽車廠員工說這句話吧!在密西根州有一個汽車工廠,儘管員工們知道工廠即將倒閉了,仍然每天到工廠上班,並且像以前一樣努力工作,因為他們知道有許多人仰賴他們生產的剎車系統。去跟軍人的家人說這句話吧!當他們望著自己所愛的人離開,去執行第三、第四或第五次任務的時候,他們皆默默地承受著苦痛。這些人不會哎哎叫。他們努力工作,他們回饋社會,他們無怨無悔地繼續前進。這些是我認識的美國人。 Now, I don't believe that Sen. McCain doesn't care what's going on in the lives of Americans. I just think he doesn't know. Why else would he define middle-class as someone making under $5 million a year? How else could he propose hundreds of billions in tax breaks for big corporations and oil companies but not one penny of tax relief to more than 100 million Americans? How else could he offer a health care plan that would actually tax people's benefits, or an education plan that would do nothing to help families pay for college, or a plan that would privatize Social Security and gamble your retirement? 此時,我不相信麥肯參議員不在乎美國人的生活發生了什麼情況。我認為他只是不明瞭罷了。否則他怎會把中產階級定義為年收入低於五百萬美元者?否則他怎會提議給予大公司與石油公司數百億美元的免稅優惠,但卻不願讓上億人口的美國民眾減稅半毛錢?否則他怎會提出一個對人民的保險受益課稅的醫療照護政見?或者提出對於減輕大學學費毫無幫助的教育政見?或是提出讓社會福利私有化的政見,使我們必須拿自己的退休生活作賭注? It's not because John McCain doesn't care. It's because John McCain doesn't get it. 這並非因為約翰麥肯不在乎,這是因為他根本不懂。 For over two decades, he's subscribed to that old, discredited Republican philosophy -- give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else. In Washington, they call this the Ownership Society, but what it really means is that you're on your own. Out of work? Tough luck. You're on your own. No health care? The market will fix it. You're on your own. Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps -- even if you don't have boots. You are on your own. 因為在這二十多年來,他始終信守那套過時的、信用破產的共和黨哲學──不斷給予那些已經擁有最多資源者更多的東西,然後期盼這種財富會慢慢滋養到所有其他人身上。華府的政客們稱呼這種想法為「私有財產制的社會」,然而其真正的意思是:你要靠你自己。失去工作嗎?咎由自取,你要靠你自己;沒有醫療保險嗎?自由市場機制會讓其改善,你要靠你自己。生長在貧困家庭嗎?靠你自己綁好鞋帶走出困境吧,即使你連鞋子都沒有,你要靠你自己。 Well it's time for them to own their failure. It's time for us to change America. And that's why I'm running for president of the United States. 那麼,現在該是讓他們擁有他們自己的失敗的時候了。現在是讓我們改變美國的時候了。這也是我競選美國總統的原因。 You see, we Democrats have a very different measure of what constitutes progress in this country. 眾所皆知,對於什麼叫做國家的進步,我們民主黨人有一套非常不同的看法。 We measure progress by how many people can find a job that pays the mortgage; whether you can put a little extra money away at the end of each month so you can someday watch your child receive her college diploma. We measure progress in the 23 million new jobs that were created when Bill Clinton was president -- when the average American family saw its income go up $7,500 instead of go down $2,000 like it has under George Bush. 我們認為,進步與否,取決於有多少人能夠找到工作以支付房貸,取決於每個月的月底你是否能有一些剩餘的錢存下來,好讓你的孩子將來某一天能夠順利拿到大學文憑。當比爾柯林頓總統執政時,創造了二千三百萬個新的工作機會,並使美國家庭年平均所得增加了7500元美金,而非如喬治布希執政時減少了2000元美金,我們認為這才是所謂的進步。 We measure the strength of our economy not by the number of billionaires we have or the profits of the Fortune 500, but by whether someone with a good idea can take a risk and start a new business, or whether the waitress who lives on tips can take a day off and look after a sick kid without losing her job -- an economy that honors the dignity of work. 我們認為,經濟上的進步,不能用億萬富翁的人數或前五百大富翁的財富來衡量,而是要看那些有好主意的人能否承擔風險來開創新事業,或者靠小費維生的女服務生能不能請假一天去照顧生病的小孩而不用擔心失去她的工作,亦即,我們的經濟是否能夠讓人有尊嚴地工作。 The fundamentals we use to measure economic strength are whether we are living up to that fundamental promise that has made this country great -- a promise that is the only reason I am standing here tonight. 基本上,我們用來衡量經濟成長的方式,在於我們是否能夠達成當初造就這個偉大國家的基本承諾,此承諾也是我今晚站在這裡的唯一理由。 Because in the faces of those young veterans who come back from Iraq and Afghanistan, I see my grandfather, who signed up after Pearl Harbor, marched in Patton's Army, and was rewarded by a grateful nation with the chance to go to college on the GI Bill. 因為,在那些從伊拉克與阿富汗卸甲返鄉的年輕退伍軍人身上,我看到了我祖父的影子。當年珍珠港事變爆發後,我的祖父志願加入了佩頓將軍的陸軍行列,當他退伍之後,透過退伍軍人法案,國家給予他唸大學的機會以回饋其對國家的貢獻。 In the face of that young student who sleeps just three hours before working the night shift, I think about my mom, who raised my sister and me on her own while she worked and earned her degree; who once turned to food stamps but was still able to send us to the best schools in the country with the help of student loans and scholarships. 有很多年輕的學生們,在上夜班之前只睡了三個小時,從他們臉上,我想到了我的母親。她在半工半讀之下獨力撫養我和我妹妹長大,雖然曾經一度向政府請領救濟糧票,最後還是能夠在就學貸款與獎學金的幫忙下,讓我們就讀國內最好的學校。 When I listen to another worker tell me that his factory has shut down, I remember all those men and women on the South Side of Chicago I stood by and fought for two decades ago after the local steel plant closed. 當我聽到另一位工人告訴我:他的工廠倒閉了,我想起二十多年前,南芝加哥當地的煉鋼廠倒閉後,和我並肩抗爭的那些男士女士們。 And when I hear a woman talk about the difficulties of starting her own business or making her way in the world, I think about my grandmother, who worked her way up from the secretarial pool to middle-management, despite years of being passed over for promotions because she was a woman. She's the one who taught me about hard work. She's the one who put off buying a new car or a new dress for herself so that I could have a better life. She poured everything she had into me. And although she can no longer travel, I know that she's watching tonight, and that tonight is her night as well. 當我聽到一位女士提到她創業與經營生意的艱辛時,我想起了我的祖母。當年,她努力工作,一路從秘書做到了中階主管的職位,儘管在那之前有好幾年,曾經由於她的性別而沒有獲得晉升。她讓我了解何謂努力打拚的意義。當年她遲遲不願為自己買一部新車或一件新衣,只為了讓我過更好的生活。她把所有的資源都投注到我身上。現在,儘管她行動不便,我知道今晚她正透過電視看著我,我要將今晚獻給她以向她致意。 Now, I don't know what kind of lives John McCain thinks that celebrities lead, but this has been mine. These are my heroes. Theirs are the stories that shaped my life. And it is on behalf of them that I intend to win this election and keep our promise alive as president of the United States. 我不知道約翰麥肯認為的名流生活是什麼樣子(譯註:麥肯陣營曾在一部競選廣告中暗示歐巴馬是像布蘭妮和芭莉絲希爾頓一樣的名流),但這是我的生活。這些人是我的英雄。他們的故事造就了我的一生。為了他們,也為了以總統的身分來捍衛我們的承諾,我要贏得這次大選。 What is that American promise? It's a promise that says each of us has the freedom to make of our own lives what we will, but that we also have the obligation to treat each other with dignity and respect. It's a promise that says the market should reward drive and innovation and generate growth, but that businesses should live up to their responsibilities to create American jobs, to look out for American workers, and play by the rules of the road. 什麼是美國的承諾呢?那就是承諾我們每一個人都能自由開創我們自己想要的人生,但同時我們也有義務彼此相互尊重;承諾我們只要努力以及革新,就能在自由市場中獲得報酬並且使經濟穩定成長,但同時企業也須善盡社會責任,提供美國人民就業機會,照顧美國勞工,堂堂正正地經營。 Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems, but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves -- protect us from harm and provide every child a decent education; keep our water clean and our toys safe; invest in new schools and new roads and science and technology. 我們的承諾是,儘管政府不能解決所有的問題,但它應該處理我們無法自己解決的問題──保護我們免於受到傷害,提供每位孩童良好的教育,使我們的河水保持乾淨,確保我們孩子的玩具安全無虞,對新的學校、新的道路、科學與技術進行投資。 Our government should work for us, not against us. It should help us, not hurt us. It should ensure opportunity not just for those with the most money and influence, but for every American who's willing to work. 我們的政府必須為我們做事,而非阻撓我們;它必須幫助我們,而非傷害我們;它必須確保我們擁有發展的機會──不應只給那些最有錢有勢者機會,而應給每一位願意工作的美國人機會。 That's the promise of America -- the idea that we are responsible for ourselves, but that we also rise or fall as one nation; the fundamental belief that I am my brother's keeper; I am my sister's keeper. 這就是美國的承諾──我們必須為我們自己負責,但我們也與整個國家同甘共苦,換句話說,也就是這個基本信念:我們不能遺棄我們的兄弟姊妹們。 That's the promise we need to keep. That's the change we need right now. So let me spell out exactly what that change would mean if I am president. 這就是我們必須堅守的承諾,這就是我們現在需要的改變。所以,接下來讓我明確說清楚:如果我當選總統,我將做那些改變。 Change means a tax code that doesn't reward the lobbyists who wrote it, but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it. 我要改變稅法,使其不利於關說立法的人士,而使其有利於理所當然的美國勞工與中小企業。 You know, unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to corporations that ship jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America. 有別於約翰麥肯,對於那些把就業機會移往海外的企業,我將停止給予稅賦優惠,並且將此優惠移轉給那些在美國境內創造良好就業機會的公司。 I'll eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow. 對於小規模的生意,以及未來能夠創造高所得與高科技就業機會的新公司,我將免除其營利事業所得稅。 I will, listen now, cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class. 並且,請注意,我將對百分之九十五的受薪階級家庭減稅。因為,面對如此不佳的經濟環境,我們最不該做的事情,就是對中產階級加稅。 And for the sake of our economy, our security and the future of our planet, I will set a clear goal as president: In 10 years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East. We will do this. 並且,為了我們的經濟,為了我們的國家安全,也為了我們地球的未來,我將以總統的角色設立一個明確的目標:十年之內,我們要終結我們對中東地區石油的依賴。我們一定要這麼做。 Washington's been talking about our oil addiction for the last 30 years, and by the way John McCain's been there for 26 of them. And in that time, he's said no to higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars, no to investments in renewable energy, no to renewable fuels. And today, we import triple the amount of oil that we had as the day that Sen. McCain took office. 這個問題在華府已經談了30年,其中有26年,約翰麥肯就在華府擔任參議員。當年,他拒絕對汽車產業制定省油節能的標準,拒絕投資再生能源與燃料。而今日,我們進口的石油量已達當年的三倍。 Now is the time to end this addiction, and to understand that drilling is a stopgap measure, not a long-term solution. Not even close. 現在是結束這種依賴的時候了。同時我們也應了解,開採新油田只是一種暫時性的權宜措施,絕非長久之計。 As president, I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. I'll help our auto companies re-tool, so that the fuel-efficient cars of the future are built right here in America. I'll make it easier for the American people to afford these new cars. And I'll invest $150 billion over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy -- wind power and solar power and the next generation of biofuels; an investment that will lead to new industries and 5 million new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced. 身為總統,我會善加利用我們的天然氣資源,投資無碳汙染的燃煤科技,並且找出安全運用核能的方法。我要幫助我們的汽車產業轉型,讓未來的省油車能夠就在美國生產出來。我也要讓更多美國民眾買得起這些新車。而且,在未來十年間,我將投資一千五百億美元來研發價格合理的再生能源──風力發電、太陽能以及改良式的生質柴油。這項投資能夠造就許多新的產業,以及創造五百萬個新的、高薪的、無法被外包的工作機會。 America, now is not the time for small plans. 美國啊,現在不是談論小型計畫的時候。 Now is the time to finally meet our moral obligation to provide every child a world-class education, because it will take nothing less to compete in the global economy. You know, Michelle and I are only here tonight because we were given a chance at an education. And I will not settle for an America where some kids don't have that chance. I'll invest in early childhood education. I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries and give them more support. And in exchange, I'll ask for higher standards and more accountability. And we will keep our promise to every young American -- if you commit to serving your community or our country, we will make sure you can afford a college education. 現在是我們終於要盡我們的道德義務,給予每位孩童世界級一流教育的時候。為了在全球經濟體系競爭,這麼做絕對是值得的。你們知道嗎?由於蜜雪兒和我當年有機會接受教育,今晚我們才能夠站在這裡。在美國,我絕不會坐視某些孩子失去這樣的機會。我將對幼兒教育進行投資。我將聘雇一大群新的教師,提供他們較高的薪水,給予他們較多的資源。而相對地,我也會以更高的標準來要求他們,要求他們承擔更多的責任。我們也將對每一位美國年輕人信守我們的承諾──如果你有心為社區以及我們的國家服務,我們一定會讓你唸得起大學。 Now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable, accessible health care for every single American. If you have health care, my plan will lower your premiums. If you don't, you'll be able to get the same kind of coverage that members of Congress give themselves. And as someone who watched my mother argue with insurance companies while she lay in bed dying of cancer, I will make certain those companies stop discriminating against those who are sick and need care the most. 現在是我們終於要信守我們的承諾,提供每位美國民眾價格合理又可行的醫療保險的時候了。如果你已享有醫療保險,我的政見能夠減輕你的保費負擔;如果你還未享有醫療保險,那麼你將得到和國會議員同樣的醫療保障。當年,當我母親罹患癌症躺在病床即將臨終之際,我親眼目睹她還必須與保險公司爭論相關事宜。因此,我保證我一定要讓那些保險公司不再歧視那些最需要被照顧的病患。 Now is the time to help families with paid sick days and better family leave, because nobody in America should have to choose between keeping their job and caring for a sick child or ailing parent. 現在是讓大家請病假不用被扣薪水而且能更容易請事假照顧家人的時候了。因為,在美國,不應該有人被迫在保住飯碗以及照顧病童或年邁雙親之間做抉擇。 Now is the time to change our bankruptcy laws, so that your pensions are protected ahead of CEO bonuses; and the time to protect Social Security for future generations. 現在是我們修改破產法的時候了,如此一來,大家的退休金才能優先獲得保障,不會被企業總裁的紅利給侵蝕掉。同時,我們也要保障我們下一代的社會福利。 And now is the time to keep the promise of equal pay for an equal day's work, because I want my daughters to have the exact same opportunities as your sons. 而且,現在也是我們信守同工同酬承諾的時候了。因為我要我的女兒擁有和你們兒子完全相同的機會。 Now, many of these plans will cost money, which is why I've laid out how I'll pay for every dime -- by closing corporate loopholes and tax havens that don't help America grow. But I will also go through the federal budget, line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less -- because we cannot meet 21st century challenges with a 20th century bureaucracy. 許多這些計畫都需要花錢,這也就是為什麼我說過我要如何地精打細算──關閉那些無益於美國經濟成長的法律漏洞與免稅天堂,同時一項一項地仔細審視聯邦政府預算,去除那些不再有用的計畫,並且使那些我們需要的計畫能夠運作地更有效率。因為我們無法以二十世紀的官僚體系來面對二十一世紀的挑戰。 And Democrats, we must also admit that fulfilling America's promise will require more than just money. It will require a renewed sense of responsibility from each of us to recover what John F. Kennedy called our "intellectual and moral strength." Yes, government must lead on energy independence, but each of us must do our part to make our homes and businesses more efficient. Yes, we must provide more ladders to success for young men who fall into lives of crime and despair. But we must also admit that programs alone can't replace parents; that government can't turn off the television and make a child do her homework; that fathers must take more responsibility to provide love and guidance to their children. 並且,民主黨人們,我們必須承認一點:若要實現美國的承諾,我們還需要金錢以外的東西。我們需要重新找回每一個人身上的責任感,以復興約翰甘迺迪所謂的我們的「智識與道德力量」。沒錯,政府必須領導我們不再依賴傳統能源,但我們每一個人都必須盡到自己的責任來確保我們的家庭與公司更加節能減碳;沒錯,我們必須提供更多的管道讓那些曾經誤入歧途而絕望的年輕人邁向成功,但我們也必須承認:政府的計畫無法取代家長的角色,政府無法幫你把電視關掉然後叫你的小孩去做功課,做父親的必須負起責任,關愛這些孩子並給予適當的引導。 Individual responsibility and mutual responsibility -- that's the essence of America's promise. 個人的責任以及相互的責任──這就是美國承諾的菁華所在。 And just as we keep our promise to the next generation here at home, so must we keep America's promise abroad. If John McCain wants to have a debate about who has the temperament, and judgment, to serve as the next commander in chief, that's a debate I'm ready to have. 並且,如同我們在國內對我們的下一代信守承諾,在國際事務上,我們也必須信守美國的承諾。如果約翰麥肯想要辯論誰具有下一任三軍統帥應有的人格特質與判斷能力,我隨時候教。 For while Sen. McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war, knowing that it would distract us from the real threats that we face. When John McCain said we could just "muddle through" in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources and more troops to finish the fight against the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11, and made clear that we must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights. You know, John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell -- but he won't even go to the cave where he lives. 當年911事件發生後不久,麥肯參議員便主張出兵伊拉克。我那時站出來反對這場戰爭,因為我知道這只會讓我們模糊焦點,讓我們無法專注處理我們面對的真正威脅。當他說我們在阿富汗「隨便打都能贏」時,我卻提出要求投入更多資源與軍隊來完成這場對恐怖份子的戰爭,這些恐怖份子才是實際上在911攻擊我們的人。當時我也清楚指出,如果發現了賓拉登和他的餘黨,一定要將他們摧毀殆盡。你們可知,約翰麥肯總愛說他將隨著賓拉登到地獄去,但他卻連隨著賓拉登到他住的洞穴都不肯。 And today, as my call for a time frame to remove our troops from Iraq has been echoed by the Iraqi government and even the Bush administration, even after we learned that Iraq has $79 billion in surplus while we are wallowing in deficits, John McCain stands alone in his stubborn refusal to end a misguided war. 我呼籲制定一個從伊拉克撤軍的時間表,如今,此呼籲已獲得伊拉克新政府的響應,甚至連布希政府也響應了此呼籲,只剩下約翰麥肯仍頑固地拒絕停止這場錯誤的戰爭,即使我們已知伊拉克政府有790億美元的盈餘,而我們仍深陷預算赤字之中。 That's not the judgment we need. That won't keep America safe. We need a president who can face the threats of the future, not keep grasping at the ideas of the past. 那不是我們需要的判斷力,那也無法維護美國的安全。我們需要的總統,必須能夠面對未來的威脅,而非死守過時觀念不放。 You don't defeat a terrorist network that operates in 80 countries by occupying Iraq. You don't protect Israel and deter Iran just by talking tough in Washington. You can't truly stand up for Georgia when you've strained our oldest alliances. If John McCain wants to follow George Bush with more tough talk and bad strategy, that is his choice -- but that is not the change that America needs. 僅憑占領伊拉克,無法讓我們打敗橫行於80幾國的恐怖組織。僅憑在華府發表措詞強硬的演說,無法保護以色列或讓伊朗保持安份。與我們關係最久遠的盟國陷入緊繃關係,無法讓我們真正站出來維護喬治亞共和國。如果約翰麥肯想要跟隨喬治布希的腳步,發表更多的強硬談話與不當政策,那是他自己的選擇,但那不是美國需要的改變。 We are the party of Roosevelt. We are the party of Kennedy. So don't tell me that Democrats won't defend this country. Don't tell me that Democrats won't keep us safe. The Bush-McCain foreign policy has squandered the legacy that generations of Americans -- Democrats and Republicans -- have built, and we are here to restore that legacy. 我們是羅斯福總統的政黨,我們是甘迺迪總統的政黨,所以請不要說民主黨人不會保衛這個國家。請不要說民主黨人無法維繫我們的安全。先前好幾個世代的美國人──包括民主黨人與共和黨人──所建立起來的傳奇,已經被布希與麥肯的外交政策給消耗殆盡了。我們今天在這裡,就是要重建這個傳奇。 As commander in chief, I will never hesitate to defend this nation, but I will only send our troops into harm's way with a clear mission and a sacred commitment to give them the equipment they need in battle and the care and benefits they deserve when they come home. 做為三軍統帥,我會毫不猶豫地保衛這個國家,但在我把我們的軍隊送去出生入死的同時,我會給予他們一個明確的任務,並且慎重地承諾給予他們做戰所需的武器,以及他們返鄉後所應得到的照顧與福利。 I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts. But I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression. I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation; poverty and genocide; climate change and disease. And I will restore our moral standing, so that America is once again that last, best hope for all who are called to the cause of freedom, who long for lives of peace, and who yearn for a better future. 我會負責任地結束伊拉克戰爭,並且完成討伐蓋達組織與塔利班民兵的阿富汗戰事。我會重整我們的軍隊,以面對未來可能的衝突。但我也會透過重新建立艱困的直接外交管道來防止伊朗取得核子武器,以及抑制俄羅斯的侵略野心。並且,我將建立新的夥伴關係來打擊21世紀面臨的威脅:恐怖主義、核武擴散、貧窮、種族屠殺、氣候異常與疾病問題。我將重建我們的道德立場,讓美國再一次成為追求自由、和平以及更美好生活的人們的最後且最好的希望寄託。 These are the policies I will pursue. And in the weeks ahead, I look forward to debating them with John McCain. 這些就是我訴求的政策。在未來幾週,我期盼能與約翰麥肯辯論這些議題。 But what I will not do is to suggest that the senator takes his positions for political purposes. Because one of the things that we have to change in our politics is the idea that people cannot disagree with our challenging each other's character and each other's patriotism. 但我不希望他因個人政治目的而辯論。因為,在政治上,我們必須改變的其中一件事情就是:我們不能以質疑彼此的人格與愛國情操而互相爭論。 The times are too serious, the stakes are too high for this same partisan playbook. So let us agree that patriotism has no party. I love this country, and so do you, and so does John McCain. The men and women who serve in our battlefields may be Democrats and Republicans and independents, but they have fought together and bled together and some died together under the same proud flag. They have not served a Red America or a Blue America -- they have served the United States of America. 在如此重要的歷史時刻,我們禁不起盲目愛國主義的再次上演。所以,讓我們一起同意:愛國情操不屬於任何特定政黨所有。我愛這個國家,你們也一樣,約翰麥肯也是一樣。在戰場上為我們作戰的男士女士們,他們可能是民主黨人,可能是共和黨人,也可能是無黨無派者,但他們都並肩作戰,他們一起流血流汗,有些人甚至死在一起,都是為了同一面引以為傲的國旗。他們不是為了左派或右派的美國而戰,他們是為了整個美國而戰。 So I've got news for you, John McCain. We all put our country first. 所以,我要告訴約翰麥肯:請讓我們一起把國家利益擺在個人利益之前。 America, our work will not be easy. The challenges we face require tough choices, and Democrats as well as Republicans will need to cast off the worn-out ideas and politics of the past. For part of what has been lost these past eight years can't just be measured by lost wages or bigger trade deficits. What has also been lost is our sense of common purpose. That's what we have to restore. 美國啊,我們面對的任務十分艱難。面對我們的挑戰,我們必須做出困難的抉擇,不論民主黨人或共和黨人都必須摒棄迂腐的觀念與過時的政治。因為,我們在這過去八年來所失去的,不僅僅是薪水上的損失或貿易上的逆差,我們還失去了共同的目標。然而,我們必須重建我們的共同目標。 We may not agree on abortion, but surely we can agree on reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies in this country. The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than they are for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals. I know there are differences on same-sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in the hospital and to live lives free of discrimination. You know, passions may fly on immigration, but I don't know anyone who benefits when a mother is separated from her infant child or an employer undercuts American wages by hiring illegal workers. But this, too, is part of America's promise -- the promise of a democracy where we can find the strength and grace to bridge divides and unite in common effort. 我們也許在墮胎議題上無法達成共識,但我們一定可以同意減少我國不良妊娠的數量。位於俄亥俄州鄉間的獵人以及位於幫派氾濫的克利夫蘭市民,這兩者之間,對於該不該合法擁有槍枝,可能無法相提並論,但請別說我們無法在維護憲法的同時,讓AK-47步槍遠離歹徒手中。我知道我們對於同性婚姻存有歧見,但我們一定可以同意讓男女同性戀的兄弟姊妹們到醫院探視他們所愛的人,並且讓他們的生活免於歧視。對於移民議題,我們可能有許多慷慨激昂的不同意見,但我不相信,當一位母親被迫與她的嬰兒離別時,或者當一位雇主因為雇用非法移民而對美國員工減薪時,뜊|有任何人從中受益。這也是美國承諾的一部分──承諾在此民主制度之下,我們能夠藉由共同努力來找出力量與美德,使我們化解歧見而團結在一起。 I know there are those who dismiss such beliefs as happy talk. They claim that our insistence on something larger, something firmer and more honest in our public life is just a Trojan Horse for higher taxes and the abandonment of traditional values. And that's to be expected. Because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare voters. If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. 我知道有許多人會把這些信念斥為癡人說夢。我們堅持公共生活中的那些更偉大、更重要與更真誠的事物,但這些堅持卻被他們說成了包著糖衣的毒藥,他們聲稱我們只是想要提高稅率以及揚棄傳統價值。這些說法都是可以預料的。因為,當你沒有任何新想法的時候,你只能用過時的選舉策略來嚇唬選民,當你過往紀錄不佳之時,你只能把你的對手亂扣帽子,讓大家對其敬而遠之。 You make a big election about small things. 你把一場大選給做小了。 And you know what -- it's worked before. Because it feeds into the cynicism we all have about government. When Washington doesn't work, all its promises seem empty. If your hopes have been dashed again and again, then it's best to stop hoping, and settle for what you already know. 我要告訴大家,以前這一招確實有效。但這只會助長我們對政府的厭惡與不信任感。一旦華府無法運作,所有的承諾都將淪為空談。當人們的希望一再破滅之後,就不會再抱持任何希望而屈服於現實之下。 I get it. I realize that I am not the likeliest candidate for this office. I don't fit the typical pedigree, and I haven't spent my career in the halls of Washington. 我了解,我不是最像樣的總統候選人,我不具有典型的顯赫家世,我也不曾在華府任職過。 But I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring. What the nay-sayers don't understand is that this election has never been about me. It's about you. It's about you. 但我今晚卻站在你們面前,因為,橫跨整個美國,有某種力量正醞釀著。那些否定我的人,他們不懂的是,這從來就不是一場關乎我個人的選舉,這是一場關乎你們的選舉。 For 18 long months, you have stood up, one by one, and said enough to the politics of the past. You understand that in this election, the greatest risk we can take is to try the same old politics with the same old players and expect a different result. You have shown what history teaches us -- that at defining moments like this one, the change we need doesn't come from Washington. Change comes to Washington. Change happens because the American people demand it -- because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time. 這18個月來,你們一個接著一個站了出來,呼籲大家告別過往。你們明白,在這場選舉中,我們所冒的最大風險,就是讓同樣的人從事同樣過時的政治活動,卻期待他們能帶來不一樣的結果。你們已展現了歷史曾教導我們的智慧:在如此關鍵性的時刻,我們不需要華府為我們帶來改變,我們需要的是為華府帶來改變。由於美國人民提出要求,由於人們站出來堅持新時代的新想法、新領袖與新政府,改變才會產生。 America, this is one of those moments. 美國啊,現在是這麼做的時候了。 I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it. Because I've seen it in Illinois, when we provided health care to more children and moved more families from welfare to work. I've seen it in Washington, where we worked across party lines to open up government and hold lobbyists more accountable, to give better care for our veterans and keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of terrorist. 儘管困難重重,但我相信,我們需要的改變將會到來。因為我曾經看過、經歷過改變。例如,在伊利諾州,我們曾為更多孩子提供醫療照顧;在華府,我們曾透過跨黨派合作,讓政府運作更加公開,迫使關說行為更加透明化,提供退伍軍人更好的照料,並使核子武器遠離恐怖分子手中。 And I've seen it in this campaign. In the young people who voted for the first time, and the young at heart, those who got involved again after a very long time. In the Republicans who never thought they'd pick up a Democratic ballot, but did. I've seen it in the workers who would rather cut their hours back a day even though they can't afford it than see their friends lose their jobs, in the soldiers who re-enlist after losing a limb, in the good neighbors who take a stranger in when a hurricane strikes and the floodwaters rise. 在這場選戰中,我也看到了改變。例如,我看到了許多第一次投票的年輕人,以及那些曾經多年遠離政治但又再次像年輕人一樣熱情投入的人們,還有那些以前從未想過會投票給民主黨但後來卻如此做的共和黨人們。我看到有些工人,儘管自顧不暇,但卻寧願降低自己的每日工時,也不願看到他們的朋友被裁員。我看到有些軍人,在失去一塊肋骨之後,仍然再次投入軍旅。我看到有些好鄰居,在颶風來襲與洪水氾濫時,打開家門收留不認識的陌生人。 You know, this country of ours has more wealth than any nation, but that's not what makes us rich. We have the most powerful military on Earth, but that's not what makes us strong. Our universities and our culture are the envy of the world, but that's not what keeps the world coming to our shores. 你們可知,我們的國家擁有比其他任何國家還要豐富的資源,但這不是使我們富有的原因;我們擁有地球上最強大的軍隊,但這不是使我們強盛的原因;我們擁有舉世稱羨的大學與文化,但這不是使世人不斷嚮往我們的原因。 Instead, it is that American spirit -- that American promise -- that pushes us forward even when the path is uncertain; that binds us together in spite of our differences; that makes us fix our eye not on what is seen, but what is unseen, that better place around the bend. 而是由於美國的精神,亦即美國的承諾,讓我們即使處在混沌不明的局勢中還能繼續前進,讓我們即使意見不同但仍然團結在一起,讓我們把眼光放在轉機之後的美好未來,而非侷促於已知的現狀。 That promise is our greatest inheritance. It's a promise I make to my daughters when I tuck them in at night, and a promise that you make to yours -- a promise that has led immigrants to cross oceans and pioneers to travel west; a promise that led workers to picket lines, and women to reach for the ballot. 這個承諾,是我們祖先留下來最偉大的遺產。它也是我每天晚上幫女兒蓋被時許下的承諾,也是你們為你們自己許下的承諾。也是這個承諾,當年帶領著許多移民跨海而來,帶領拓荒者們往西部開墾,帶領勞工們罷工抗爭,帶領女士們獲得投票權。 And it is that promise that 45 years ago today, brought Americans from every corner of this land to stand together on a Mall in Washington, before Lincoln's Memorial, and hear a young preacher from Georgia speak of his dream. 而且,45年前的同一天,這個承諾帶領了來自每一個角落的美國人,在華府肩並肩站在一起,於林肯紀念館前,聆聽一位來自喬治亞州的年輕牧師訴說他的夢想(譯註:此人即是曾提倡非暴力抗爭的非裔美籍民權鬥士馬丁路德金恩,他曾於1964年贏得諾貝爾和平獎,於1968年被刺殺身亡)。 The men and women who gathered there could've heard many things. They could've heard words of anger and discord. They could've been told to succumb to the fear and frustration of so many dreams deferred. 在那場集會中的男士女士們,原本可以聽到許多不一樣的東西,例如充滿憤恨與不滿的言語,或者被告知要屈服於恐懼以及無法實現夢想的挫敗。 But what the people heard instead -- people of every creed and color, from every walk of life -- is that in America, our destiny is inextricably linked. That together, our dreams can be one. 然而,那些不分宗教、膚色與職業而聚在一起的人們,他們聽到的卻是:在美國,我們大家都是難以分割的生命共同體,只要同心協力,我們可以擁抱同樣的夢想。 "We cannot walk alone," the preacher cried. "And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back." 他大聲疾呼:「我們必須一起往前走,而且,當我們走在一起時,我們必須承諾永遠向上提升,絕不向下沉淪。」 America, we cannot turn back. Not with so much work to be done. Not with so many children to educate, and so many veterans to care for. Not with an economy to fix and cities to rebuild and farms to save. Not with so many families to protect and so many lives to mend. America, we cannot turn back. We cannot walk alone. At this moment, in this election, we must pledge once more to march into the future. Let us keep that promise -- that American promise -- and in the words of Scripture hold firmly, without wavering, to the hope that we confess. 美國啊,我們不能向下沉淪。我們還有好多的事情沒有做,還有好多的孩子等著接受教育,還有好多的退伍軍人等著被照顧。我們還要改善經濟,還要重建許多城市,還要拯救許多農場。我們還有好多家庭亟需援手,還有好多生命亟待照料。美國啊,我們不能向下沉淪,我們必須一起往前走。此時此刻,我們必須在這場選舉中再次許諾往未來邁進。讓我們信守承諾──美國的承諾,不要猶豫,信仰堅定地追逐我們的夢想。 Thank you, God Bless you, and God Bless the United States of America. 謝謝你們,祝福大家,願天祐美國。 煩請注意附上原稿來源 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.35.18.19 ※ 編輯: BaseBlessed 來自: 218.35.18.19 (09/02 22:24)
going90:非常感謝你 09/02 22:18
Vidic:先推一個! 09/02 22:25
yeh67:婦女 勞工 年輕選民 三大票源 09/02 22:27
pursuistmi:推 09/02 22:29
hunmir:感謝 09/02 22:57
NPLNT:推 09/02 23:47