精華區beta Lakers 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Vitti is Lakers' inside man The trainer has the knowledge that comes with 26 years on the inside By Ramona Shelburne ESPNLosAngeles.com http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5163230 講有關湖人訓練員Gary Vitti的採訪 個人是最愛Magic那段,我覺得很感人 MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. -- These two or three hours are supposed to be his. Not just today, but every day. The other 21 hours belong to the Lakers, but there's a window after practice between 2 and 4 p.m. or so, when Gary Vitti just might be able to get away, or step away from the never-ending task of keeping the NBA's most glamorous team camera-ready. 這兩三個小時本來應該屬於他的。不單單今天,而是每天都是如此。其他21小時都是屬於 湖球隊的。練後結束後約下午2-4點左右,Gary Vitti可以暫時離開一下,可以遠離要負 責讓NBA最有名的隊伍隨時都可以出現在鏡頭上這個永遠沒有止境的工作。 Time for a nap or a long lunch. Maybe a run along the beach or coffee with his wife. Time to be something other than the longest-tenured trainer with a single NBA team. 可以睡個午覺或是午餐吃久一點。也許沿著海灘慢跑,或是跟老婆喝個咖啡。是個可以做 一些有別於全NBA任職最久的訓練員的事情。 On this day he's traded in his free time for a photo shoot at his Mediterranean-style beach house on one of the picturesque hills in Manhattan Beach. For the past 26 years he's been the guy sitting next to the famous guys, one seat down from Pat Riley or Phil Jackson, and the first one on the court whenever Magic Johnson or Kobe Bryant tweaked an ankle. 今天,他用這個自由的時間來進行本次採訪與拍攝,就在他在座落於曼哈頓海灘山丘上的 地中海風別墅。這26年來,他是那個坐在那些有名的人旁邊的那個人,在PHIL或油頭旁邊 的那個人,當MAGIC或KOBE扭到腳踝時第一個衝到場上的人。 You know his face, but not him. Which is the point of this interview and photo shoot, until we get interrupted by the blaring of his cell phone. 你認得他的臉,但是你不認識他。所以才會有這次的採訪與拍攝,在被他無數的來電打擾 之前。 He's in the middle of a story about Shaquille O'Neal that's too colorful for this website to publish, and he's on a roll. We're all laughing way too loudly for a Wednesday afternoon. But when the phone rings he stops mid-sentence. 他正在講一個有關歐肥的故事,但是故事精彩到不適合刊登在這裡。他講的正興起,而我們 也聽得很開懷,但是被他的手機來電給打斷了 "It's either my wife or Kobe," he explains. Vitti and his staff have essentially been working around-the-clock during these playoffs on no fewer than three of Bryant's body parts -- knee, ankle and finger -- which are aching and/or arthritic. 「如果不是我老婆就是KOBE」他如此解釋道。 Vitti和他的屬下在這次季後賽24小時忙著照顧KOBE身上至少三個部位:膝蓋,腳踝和手指 。這些部位不是痛就是發炎。 "Kobe was in very early this morning with Judy Seto, our physical therapist, getting treatment," Vitti says. "He's very aggressive in his approach to things, so you have to kind of dole it out as it's needed otherwise he'll go 100 miles an hour. 「KOBE今天一大早就跟Judy,我們的物理治療師,進來接受治療。他處理事情的態度很積 極,所以我們必須儘快的配合他,不然會被他遠遠拋在後頭」Vitti說。 "I always like to keep a [trump] card in my back pocket to play when we need it, which we kind of came down to a need-situation just recently. Coming off the two losses in Oklahoma City, we had to win." 我總是會保留一張王牌,以備不時之需。而前陣子就派上用場了我們在OKC輸了兩場,我們 必須贏。 Vitti won't say what card he played with Bryant before Game 5, but it obviously worked. Vitti沒有說他的王牌是什麼,但是顯然的他奏效了。 "He's bright about what's going on right now," Vitti says. "If Kobe believes in you, he'll follow you, and right now he's following." 「他很清楚正在發生的事情。如果他相信你,他會跟隨你,而現在他正在跟隨我們。」 Vitti說。 The challenging part of treating Bryant, though, is that it takes a lot for him to decide whatever pain he's feeling is bad enough to call Vitti. So when he does call, the phone must be answered. 治療KOBE最具挑戰性的部份是要KOBE痛到需要打電話給Vitti必須是很巨大的困擾,所以 當KOBE真的打來時,一定要接到。 "He could've played back in the 1980s," Vitti says. "Not all these guys could've played back in the day. But he for sure could. And not just played; I mean played. 「他甚至可以打1980年代的籃球。不是所有的人都可以在那個年代打球。而且不是隨便的 打,而是真正的打球。」Vitti說 "He's got this old-school mentality of 'I put a uniform on, and once I choose to do that, then there are no excuses.' " 他有老一輩的思維「當我穿上隊衣,當我決定要這麼做時,就沒有藉口了」 The phone rings twice before Vitti picks it up, and I'm feeling as if I should step out of earshot. (This interview is supposed to be all-access, but even all-access has limits.) Vitti turns his back to us, says something quietly, then hangs up the phone. "Kobe?" "No," he says, cracking a little smile. "My wife calling to remind me to take the scallops out of the freezer." 他的電話響了兩聲之後Vitti接通了。我覺得我應該迴避一下。 Vitti轉身背對著我們講了一些話,然後掛掉了。 「KOBE嗎?」 「不是。是我老婆,叫我記得把干貝從冷凍庫拿出來」Vitti笑著說。 But that's all I'm telling you 我只告訴你這些 Vitti has held this job longer than five of the players on this year's team have been alive. Pat Riley hired him back when the Lakers were still trying to figure out a way to beat the Boston Celtics, and he's basically seen or taped the ankles of every player who has worn a Lakers uniform since. Vitti做這個工作的時間,已經比球隊上五個人活在世上的時間還久。油頭在他們還在煩惱 怎麼打敗Celtics的時候就把他請過來了。基本上來講,從那之後的任何一個湖人球員都有 給他看過或是包紮過腳踝了。 He can tell you about the toughest and the wimpiest athletes he's treated. Who had the biggest feet and who had the smelliest. He can tell you, but he won't. Because that's not how you go about keeping a job like his for 26 years, through three championship iterations and "the insignificant years" in between. 他可以告訴你誰是最堅強的球員,而誰是最懦弱的。誰有最大的腳,而誰有最臭的。他可 以告訴你,但是他不會。因為在一個工作呆到26年,歷經三次王朝以及中間「不重要」的 時期,不是這麼幹的。 "It's remarkable he's been there as long as he's been there," Riley says. "A lot of trainers in this league burn out after a while. It's probably one of the most difficult, detail-oriented assignments in the NBA. The trainer, like the head coach, has to be on 24/7 and 365. 油頭說「他在那邊當那麼久真的很驚人。很多訓練員大概沒過多久就沒幹勁了。那是一個 在NBA裡極度要求細節而艱辛的工作。跟教練一樣,訓練員必須一天24小時一年365天都隨 時準備工作。」 "You have to be unique, and Gary was. He was a multitasker, and I sort of turned everything over to him, and I knew that department was handled very well." 「你必須很特別,而Gary的確如是。他可以同時進行很多工作,所以我後來就有點把所有 的工作都交給他了。我知道那個部份有很可靠的人在照顧。」 Coming into this assignment, I figured Vitti would have to be one of three personality types to stay in this job as long as he has: principled and honest, politically shrewd or charming. 接這次採訪任務的時候,我覺得Vitti會是下列三種個性之一:誠實且循規,交際手腕高超 ,或極度吸引人。 I figured wrong. He is all three. 結果我錯了。他三種都是。 "I think the Buss family -- and the general managers I've worked with, the coaches -- our value systems are all in line with each other," he says. "A player is an asset, just like your home is an asset. You certainly don't want to sacrifice your investment for some sort of short-term goal, and I think that the people I work with, and the players I work with, always have had the same opinion. "Both sides have to trust you." 「我覺得不論是BUSS家族以及歷任的GM及教練,我們的價值觀都一致。」 「球員是你的財產,如同你家是你的財產。你不會為了某個短期目標而犧牲你的投資。我 想和我工作的人都有同樣的想法。」 「兩邊都要信任你」 The third floor of Vitti's home is a shrine to the seven NBA championships the Lakers have won during his tenure. Autographed jerseys from Lakers greats like Bryant, Kareem-Abdul Jabbar and Pau Gasol hang from the walls, along with shoes from Larry Bird and a clipboard from Riley. Vitti家三樓是在他任職期間湖人7座總冠軍的聖堂。裡面擺滿了偉大球員如KOBE,JABBAR ,GASOL的親筆簽名球衣,還有大鳥的球鞋,油頭用過的筆記本。 Almost everything in this room is a gift, given without him asking, and inscribed with messages of gratitude. He is proud, but a little shy about showing them off. 房間理所有的東西都是送給他的禮物,別人主動送他的禮物,伴隨著他們所代表的感謝。 他很驕傲,但又有點害羞的展示給我們看。 It is his job to keep them healthy. The better he does it, the less attention he should receive. When I ask about the message Riley has inscribed on the clipboard, he reads it aloud, then asks that we not make a big deal of it. "I believe it is my job to voice my opinion," he says. "If you [as the head coach or a player] decide not to do what I say, then it becomes my job to make you right and me wrong. My ego can't be involved." 讓他們保持健康是他的工作。他做的越好,他收到的注目就越少。當我們問起油頭在筆記 本上寫的東西時,他大聲朗讀,然後要我們低調處理。他說「我的工作是講出我的看法, 當球員或教練和我做出不一樣的決定時,我的工作就變成證明你是對的而我是錯的。我不 能讓我的自尊干擾工作。」 Next time you're in Italy 下次你去義大利的時候 About 45 minutes into lunch I begin to understand why so many Hall of Fame players and coaches hand Vitti autographed jerseys and memorabilia to show their gratitude. The waitress has just brought out our main course and he's already given me tips on the best type of espresso machine to buy, what diet will help me drop 10 pounds by the summer and offered to introduce me to his friends and cousins who will show me the best places to go the next time I'm in Italy, not that I've even scheduled this trip yet. 午餐才吃大約45分鐘,我就開始瞭解為什麼這麼多HOF球員和教練會送給他簽名球衣和紀念 品以表感謝。 服務生才剛端上我們的主菜,而他已經告訴我很多有用的東西,例如該買哪種咖啡機,怎 樣的食物當讓我在暑假前減掉10磅,並且說如果我有機會去義大利的時候願意介紹他的朋 友或親戚來帶我到處遊玩,但我連計畫都還沒計畫咧。 "Wherever you want to go," Vitti says, as if everyone is this hospitable. "I go there every year for three weeks in August. It's the only vacation I get. My mom and dad were an arranged marriage. They immigrated to New York from a village called Settefrati, which is in the mountains about 90 minutes southeast of Rome. 「你想去哪裡都可以」「我每年八月都會去三個禮拜。這是我唯一的假期。我爸媽是不是 戀愛結婚的。他們從一個叫Settefrati的村莊移民到NY。那在羅馬東南約90分鐘的山裡面 。」 "I went back in 1984 to find our house and it had been abandoned. No one had lived there in 30 years. Birds were flying in and out. I went back and told my dad, 'This is horrible. We should fix this.' So I bought it in 1987 and restored it completely. It's 400 years old and it's in the new part of town. The village itself is 2,000 years old." 「我1984年的時候回去找到我們的房子,房子已經被荒廢了。30年來都沒人住,鳥飛進飛 出的。我回去之後跟我爸講 這真的太糟了 我們應該整修他。我在1987年的時候把他買下 來並且完全整修。他有400年的歷史而是村莊最新的一部份。村莊本身已經有2000年的歷 史。」 He's rolling again, only this time the story can be published. But again we are interrupted. Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol has spotted us in the patio of Petros, a popular Greek restaurant in Manhattan Beach. "Hey, Gary," Gasol calls out. "How are you? What's going on?" I'm confused. This is Marc Gasol, not Pau. How does he know Gary? Pau is actually in the back of the restaurant at the same time, having a business meeting. "Hey, your brother is in the back room," Vitti shouts across the restaurant. "I don't want to see him," Marc says, laughing. "I know, I know," Vitti says. "You came to see me, right?" "Of course," Marc says. As it turns out, they met last summer when Vitti had to interrupt his vacation in Settefrati to fly to Spain and inspect Pau's injured finger. Vitti spent three days with the Spanish national team, checking out the elder Gasol's recovery from surgery and reporting back to the Lakers brass on the extent of the injury. "Pau owes me three days' vacation," Vitti says. "And I will collect." 他又開始講故事了,只是這次我們又被打斷了。 灰熊中鋒Marc Gasol看到我們在一家希臘餐廳的陽台上。 Gasol大喊「Gary!你好嗎?最近如何阿?」 我很困擾。這是Marc。為什麼他會認識Gary咧? 這時候Pau其實在餐廳後面,討論公事。 「你老哥在餐廳後面!」Vitti大叫 「我不想看到他」Marc笑著說 「我知道。你是來看我的,對吧?」Vitti說 「當然」Marc回應 原來,他們是去年暑假Vitti因為GASOL在西班牙國家隊受傷的時候必須中斷他的假期而從 Settefrati趕過去西班牙的時候認識的。Vitti跟西班牙國家隊待了3天,檢查GASOL的傷勢 並且回報給球團。 「Pau欠我三天假期,我會討回來的。」Vitti說。 Staying two steps ahead of Riles 永遠想的比油頭還遠還快 Actually, Vitti never wanted this job. Well, sort of. What he wanted out of life at the moment Riley called him in 1984 was to finish his Ph.D. and work as a college professor. He'd done the NBA thing already, working with the Utah Jazz from 1981-82, back before Jerry Sloan or John Stockton and Karl Malone. "When I was with the Jazz they were horrible," he says. "So when Pat called, I wasn't sure I wanted to do it. I wanted to be a college professor. "Then Pat says to me, you can do everything you want to do and you can do it with the greatest athletes in the world. I made the move because of that comment, and I fell in love with the NBA and the Lakers and Los Angeles, and the rest is history." He fell in love because of the character of the men he worked with. "Those guys, Jerry West, Pat, Magic, James Worthy, those guys taught me what it really was to be a champion," Vitti says. "And when you're around that every day, that's all you want to do." Not that working for or with those men was always or ever easy. 其實,Vitti從沒想要過這個工作。1984年油頭打給他的時候,那時候他希望完成博士學業 然後當一個大學教授。他已經在NBA呆過了,1981-82年的時候他曾任職於JAZZ,那時候 SLOAN,STOCKTON,MALONE都還沒出現。 「我在JAZZ的時候他們很糟糕。所以當油頭打電話來的時候,我不是很確定這是我要的。 我想要當大學教授」Vitti說。 「然後油頭跟我說 你可以做你想要做的任何事情,而且是跟世界最頂尖的運動員。這句 話說服了我接下工作。我也愛上了湖人跟NBA。接下來的你都知道了。」 「那些人,West, Pat, Worthy, Magic。他們教我要成為王者需要什麼。在他們附近呆久 了,那也變成你唯一的目標」Vitti說。 但和這些人工作也不是輕鬆的事情。 "They all knew I was crazy," Riley jokes. "Gary knew I was a little bit off the wall, [assistant coach] Bill Bertka, all those people I worked with knew I was one of those coaches who was very intense and at any moment, temporary insanity could enter the room. They learned how to deal with it, and you appreciate it over the years." Riley may have recruited him, but once Vitti signed on his standards were incredibly high. "I think that if you come up with Pat, losing is not an option," Vitti says. "You never lay down; it's a thousand miles an hour. It's very intense. "I was always trying to stay two steps ahead of Pat. It used to bother me if Pat had to tell me what to do. It meant I didn't think of it before." Like? "Well, like back in the '80s when we'd play Boston. If you were there in the winter they'd open up all the windows and it'd be like a meat locker in there. If you were there in the summer, they'd close all the windows and turn the heat on. "It was miserable in there. So one day I got this idea bring air conditioning units like they use on the sidelines in the NFL." It was a fantastic idea, except for one thing. "Yeah, we plugged them into the wall and it basically tripped the whole grid in the Boston Garden," Riley says, laughing at the memory. "They were pretty p----- off. But we didn't care. "Maybe it was paranoia on our part, but we had too many negative experiences with them. So whenever we went in there, we brought all our own stuff, scheduled all our own practices. I mean, I wouldn't even drink the Gatorade in that place if they left a bucket of it out there for us." 油頭開玩笑的說「他們都知道我有點瘋狂。他們都知道我都很嚴肅,並且可能隨時都爆發 。他們知道如何應對,而這些年來我也由衷的感謝」 也許是油頭把他找來的,但是一旦Vitti接下工作,他自己設立的標準也是相當的高。 "I think that if you come up with Pat, losing is not an option," Vitti says. "You never lay down; it's a thousand miles an hour. It's very intense. "I was always trying to stay two steps ahead of Pat. It used to bother me if Pat had to tell me what to do. It meant I didn't think of it before." Like? "Well, like back in the '80s when we'd play Boston. If you were there in the winter they'd open up all the windows and it'd be like a meat locker in there. If you were there in the summer, they'd close all the windows and turn the heat on. "It was miserable in there. So one day I got this idea bring air conditioning units like they use on the sidelines in the NFL." It was a fantastic idea, except for one thing. "Yeah, we plugged them into the wall and it basically tripped the whole grid in the Boston Garden," Riley says, laughing at the memory. "They were pretty p----- off. But we didn't care. "Maybe it was paranoia on our part, but we had too many negative experiences with them. So whenever we went in there, we brought all our own stuff, scheduled all our own practices. I mean, I wouldn't even drink the Gatorade in that place if they left a bucket of it out there for us." 「我想如果你跟油頭一起工作,失敗不是容許的。你絕不休息,你隨時全力衝刺。非常嚴 肅的。」Vitti說 「我永遠的試著想在油頭的前面。如果油頭需要告訴我我要做什麼,我會感到很困擾。這 代表我沒有想到這件事情。」 例如? 「80年代的時候,我們跟BOS比賽。如果是冬天的時候,他們會把窗戶都打開。那就跟存 肉的冷凍庫一樣冷。如果是夏天,他們會把窗戶都關上並且打開暖氣。」 「那真的很糟糕。有一天我就想到可以學NFL在場邊放冷氣,我們也可以自己帶冷氣。」 那是一個很棒的主意,除了一件事情。 油頭笑著回憶「對阿,我們就把插頭插上去,結果我們讓整個花園球場大跳電。他們超級 生氣的,但是我們才不在乎。」 「也許是我想太多,但是我們之間的負面經歷實在太多了。所以只要我們去BOS,我們都 會自己準備東西,自己安排練習。就算他們特地留給我們一桶運動飲料,我也絕對不會去 喝。」 The two maestros 兩個巨匠 Outwardly, his current boss couldn't be more different. Where Riley was all hard-nosed discipline, intensity and slicked-back hair, Phil Jackson believes in guided meditation before games, giving safe harbor to the wayward souls of the NBA, and Birkenstocks at practice. But Vitti sits close enough on the bench, and in the inner circle, to know how unimportant those differences actually are. "They're both maestros," Vitti says. "And it's trying to get everyone to do things the right way, the way you want them done, the way you see the music "They both do it, but they do it differently. Phil may look really calm and composed on the outside. "But he's constantly swinging that baton like a conductor and pointing it at certain people in the orchestra. So if you're in the violin section and you're off, he's pointing that baton at you. Pat does that too, but it's more of a shotgun effect. "Pat, no matter how hard you're working, Pat's working harder than you, and he gives that off. You feel it and you have to get on that energy carpet and fly with him. "Where Phil looks like he's not fired up, but he is. And if you're not at his intensity, he takes that baton and pokes you with it." 直覺而言,這兩位老闆不能再更不像了。油頭超級硬派,嚴肅,且滿頭髮油。PJ則是相信 引導的方式,為在NBA徘徊的靈魂提供避難港,並且穿涼鞋去練球。 但是Vitti的親身經歷讓他知道這些差異根本不算什麼。 「他們兩位都是巨匠。他們用他們的方法來讓球員達成他所要的東西。」Vitti說 「他們都如此,但是方式不同。PJ外表可能看似平靜,但是內心裡他其實瘋狂揮舞著他的 指揮棒,就像交響樂的指揮般,不停的指點出每個人的錯誤。如果你在小提琴區而你走音 了,他會用指揮棒指著你。油頭也會,只是他比較像是用散彈槍。」 「不論你工作的多努力,油頭永遠都比你還努力。這會傳染的。你會感受到這股能量並且 跟著一起衝。」 「PJ也許看起來不激動,但其實他是。如果你達不到他的要求,他會拿指揮棒戳你。」 The staff 工作人員 He starts working every morning around 7 or 8, checking e-mails and researching whatever issues his players might be going through at the time. These days Vitti is more of a conductor too, managing a staff of six, whom he made me promise to list and emphasize how important they are: athletic performance director Chip Schaefer, assistant trainer Marco Nunez, athletic performance coordinator Alex McKechnie, physical therapist Judy Seto, massage therapist Marko Yrjovuori, and equipment manager Rudy Garciduenas. Back when Vitti was hired, he held all of these roles. Taping ankles, doing laundry and designing strength programs. Everything. "The job has changed," he says. "The game is different. Everything has evolved." 他每天7-8點左右開始工作。首先是察看EMAIL並且研究他的球員正在進行的復健。這幾年 Vitti也越來越像一個指揮者,他手底下有6名員工。每名員工都各司其職。 Vitti被雇用的時候,所有的工作都是他的。包紮腳踝,洗衣服,設計重訓。所有的。 「工作變了。比賽也不一樣了所有事情都變了」Vitti說 Magic Magic What hasn't changed and what never will is his favorite player to put on a Lakers uniform. "Earvin 'Magic' Johnson is the most special human being I've met on the planet," Vitti says. "If you're in a room and he walked in, you would feel better." They are close to this day, bonded by a quarter-century of friendship and by one of the most difficult situations either has ever encountered. Vitti gets emotional just thinking about what happened to his friend in 1991. Back when everyone knew something was wrong with the Lakers great, but only seven people really knew how serious it was: Vitti, Johnson, Johnson's wife, Jerry Buss, Jerry West, Johnson's agent Lon Rosen and Lakers team physician Dr. Michael Mellman. For two weeks, while the diagnosis of Johnson's HIV-positive status was being checked and rechecked, Vitti was in knots. The information would soon become public, but while it was private it bore a hole in the pit of stomachs. "I was scared; he wasn't. He was tough. I said to him, 'Earv, I'm having a really, really tough time with this,'" Vitti says, his voice cracking at the memory. "He looked me straight in the eye and said, 'Look, when God gave me this disease, he gave it to the right person. I'm going to do something with this. "And he has. It's unbelievable what he's done with it. But at the time, it was awful because we just didn't know that much about it [HIV]." As soon as the diagnosis came in, Vitti began to study and research. Initially, the Lakers and Johnson decided it was best for him to retire, both for his health and the health of his fellow players. When Johnson made a comeback a year later, the real learning began. Every piece of research anyone found said that Johnson should be able to play basketball, without incident and without presenting a risk to his teammates or opponents. Still, some players were scared and resentful. During an exhibition game in 1992, Vitti and Johnson began to change all that. Johnson was forced to come out of the game with a small cut on his forearm. Vitti came over to check out the cut. It was so small you could hardly see it. More of a scratch than a cut, so Vitti pulled out a cotton swab, left his gloves in his pockets, and treated Johnson as he would any other player. "Gary could've been fired that day, but it was the right thing to do," says Rosen. "And looking back, in a strange way he kind of showed everyone about the disease by doing that." 一件還沒變且永遠不會變得事情是他最喜歡的球員披上湖人的球衣。 「MAGIC是我遇過最特別的人。你在一個房間裡然後他走進來,你瞬間就會覺得好很多」 他們至今仍非常友好,被長達1/4世紀的友誼以及他們彼此畢生難忘的經歷所牽引。 Vitti想到1991年發生的事情就會變的非常激動。那個時候大家都知道湖人偉大的球員有 什麼不對勁,但是不知道確切原因的時候他是少數幾個知道實情的。 兩個禮拜,當MAGIC的HIV測驗不斷的重複確認,Vitti心裡超掙扎的。雖然這訊息不久之 後便會公開,但是還沒公諸於世的時候讓他穿腸寸斷。 「我那時候很害怕,但他沒有。他很堅強。我告訴他 Earl,我真的很難面對這個事情」 Vitti說 「他直視著我的雙眼,然後說 聽著 當上帝給我這個疾病的時候,他給對人了。我會 有所作為的。」 「他的確如此。他所成就的都不可置信。但是當時非常可怕,因為我們對HIV認識不多。」 診斷確定的那一天起,Vitti不斷的研究與閱讀。起初,湖人和MAGIC都認為他退休是最好 的選擇,不論是對他本人或是其他隊友的健康。 一年後當MAGIC嘗試復出,真正的學習才開始。所有的研究結果都說MAGIC可以重新打球, 而且不會威脅到其他人。 但是,其他球員仍然害怕。1992熱身賽的時候,Vitti和MAGIC開始改變一切。 MAGIC因為前臂小刮傷流血而必須下場,Vitti檢查之後發現傷口小到幾乎無法看到。所以 Vitti拿出棉花棒,把手套留在口袋裡,就如同對待任何其他球員般的處理MAGIC的傷口。 MAGIC的經紀人Rosen說「Gary那天有可能被炒魷魚,但他做的是對的。現在回想起來,儘 管奇怪,但是他用他的方式說明了有關那個疾病的事情」 Of orange tile and Lakers gold 橘色地專與紫金 It is impossible to simply go to Gary Vitti's house. First, you have to follow him from the Lakers training facility in El Segundo after practice, flooring it as he zips down Sepulveda Boulevard in his green rebuilt 1982 Alfa Romeo. Like his house in Italy, and his house in Manhattan Beach, Vitti has lovingly restored what had been broken or beleaguered. More on the Lakers For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog "This house was all orange," he says before we get to his memorabilia collection, or the interview. "It was a dump when I bought it, but I saved one of the original orange tiles just so I'd remember what it was." I'm torn. He's about to tell another great story, you can tell. But I can't help psychoanalyze. "You know, Gary, if was a psychologist and not a reporter. I might start connecting the dots and say, 'Hmm … you fix cars and houses and memories. Maybe that's why you became a trainer? To fix people?' " He smiles, knowing I've got him but confirming nothing. The second floor of his beach house is an homage to his past and present. Photos of his parents and artwork from all over Italy and by his own hand hang on the southern walls. Outside he's built a terrace with views of the Pacific. On the western-facing wall are photos of his wife, Martha, and two daughters. A spiral staircase leads to his ode to the Lakers. A quarter-century of mending and tending to this town's greatest athletes. I want to go up there, but can tell Vitti still has more to say about the orange tile. About what he's built for himself, and why. Then, of course, his cell phone squawks. It's a text message this time. "Kobe?" "No, not Kobe. But it's about Kobe," he mumbles. "He OK?" "Yes," Vitti says. "Kobe is the toughest player that I've ever worked with. "I'd have to manipulate him to choose not to play. If I tell him not to play, that would convince him that he could play. Like when he broke his finger, I figured he was done for six weeks and he was like, 'I can do this.' It was kind of like a new challenge for him." "So who's the text message from?" I ask. "Phil?" Vitti looks up and smiles at me, but says nothing. There's a reason he's had this job for as long as he has. 要直接去Gary他家很困難。你必須跟著他一同回去。 如同他在義大利的房子,以及他在曼哈頓海灘的這個房子,Vitti很愛將受損或廢棄的東西 修復起來。 在採訪開始之前,Gary說「這房子原本整個都是橘色。我買的時候很糟糕。我保留了一個 原本的橘色地專,讓我記得他原本是什麼樣子。」 我開始掙扎。他要開始講另一個很棒的故事,但是我無法不做了一些心理分析。 「你知道嗎Gary。如果我不是記者而是心理醫生的話,我也許會把我所看到聽到的整理一 番之後,得到一個結論說 ㄜ...你喜歡修車跟房子和回憶,也許這就是你為什麼選擇當 訓練員嗎?為了修人?」 他笑著,體認到我說對了但是又不承認。 他家二留是擺了很多回憶的物品。有他父母的照片,義大利各地的藝術品,以及他自己 創作的藝術品,全都掛在南邊的牆上。西邊的牆上掛了他太太及兩個女兒的照片。 一個螺旋樓梯通往他的書房。裡面跟湖人這25年來至關重大。 我想要上去,但是他還想橘色地專的故事。有關他為他自己蓋了什麼,而又為什麼蓋。 結果,他的手機又響了。是一封簡訊。 「KOBE?」 「不是他,但是跟他有關。」 「他還好嗎」 「恩 他是我看過最堅強的選手」 「我必須跟他玩心裡遊戲才能讓他休息不上場。如果我告訴他他不能上場,他會覺得這 等於是在跟他說他可以上場。就像當他手指骨折的時候。我跟他說他需要休息六個禮拜 ,他就跟我說 我行的。這對他來說是一個新挑戰。」 「所以簡訊是誰送來的?PJ?」 Vitti抬頭看著我,略帶微笑,但什麼都不講。他能幹這個工作這麼久,不是沒有理由的 Ramona Shelburne is a columnist and reporter for ESPNLosAngeles.com -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.109.55.232
shannishere:好像片段OP 05/11 19:11
chirssu:推Vitti也推翻譯! 05/11 19:14
seeking:前半段OP 但是和Magic的故事好感人 05/11 19:14
hope452162:Magic那邊有感動到 05/11 19:19
joveryant:太甘心了 翻那麼長~~ 05/11 19:31
mikehu:處理Magic傷口那段還真是錯誤的示範... 05/11 19:32
benson:巨匠電腦 推翻譯 05/11 19:37
Champion2008:最後一段有笑點XD 05/11 19:37
sagesrock:處理魔術傷口那段是正確示範 那是在跟大家表示 hiv病毒 05/11 19:39
sagesrock:不會碰到感染者的身體或血液就會被傳染 而是必須是體液 05/11 19:40
sagesrock:交換 那一段真的很感人 05/11 19:40
sagesrock:另噓Kobe神經病 XDDDDD 05/11 19:41