看板 BLAZERS 關於我們 聯絡資訊
While the Blazers' coach is disappointed Darius Miles' suspension isn't longer than two games, he wants to mend fences Saturday, January 29, 2005 JASON QUICK Maurice Cheeks said Darius Miles hurled racial slurs at him "at least 20 times" and told the coach he didn't like him during their heated confrontation before Thursday's practice, which resulted in the Trail Blazers' suspending the 23-year-old forward for two games. Cheeks said he was disappointed the suspension wasn't longer, but he said he is ready to forgive and work toward mending their relationship when Miles returns to the team before Wednesday's home game against Denver. "Our relationship is very salvageable, because I'm that kind of person," Cheeks said. "I'm going to coach the guy; it's my job. Come on, how many wins do we have, 16? If I can put a guy on the floor to win a game, I'm going to put him on the floor. . . . I'm not going to push him to the side because we had this problem." Cheeks said he was not offended by the repeated racial slurs, saying, "From him to me, it's OK." But he said he was deeply hurt when Miles said he didn't like Cheeks. "I told him, 'You have no reason not to like me. All I am doing is coaching you,' " Cheeks said. "All I try to do is make him a better player and person. So to slight me for those reasons is a problem for me. I mean, it can get heavy when you talk about somebody disliking you. "Do I dislike him? No. And I told him that. Now, I might dislike some of the things he does on the floor. But I'm not going to apologize for me as a person, or me as a basketball coach. "Now I might not be as great as Phil Jackson or other coaches, but I am who I am. And I'm going to get better as I move along, but I am not going to change as a person." The confrontation flared when the Cheeks continued a line of criticism directed at Miles during the team's review of Wednesday's game with Dallas. The argument escalated when neither party would back down, and accounts of the argument include Miles telling Cheeks he was going to be fired, and when Cheeks told Miles to leave, Miles said that Cheeks would have to call the police to make him leave the building. The situation continued when Cheeks dismissed the team and began leaving toward general manager John Nash's office, when Miles chided him with the comment, "That's right, run to your daddy." When Cheeks did go to Nash's office, Miles burst in, and another argument ensued. "Things got out of hand," Cheeks said. "It was just an unfortunate situation. We expect a certain kind of conduct, and it was crossed over as far as I'm concerned. Things were said that were inappropriate." Cheeks admitted that he is partly to blame for the confrontation because at the beginning of the film session his tone toward Miles was stronger than normal, and from past conflicts with Miles, he knew the player didn't handle criticism well. "Different players you have to coach in different ways. There are times when I have to be on and on him, and he doesn't take it well," Cheeks said. "I don't ever want it to seem like one guy is totally in the wrong. Certainly for me, he went over the line. But maybe I had a little part in it because something in my voice was maybe antagonistic, which made him go that way. So it's not all about Darius; maybe I had something to do with it." Miles, who signed a six-year, $48 million contract before the season, issued an apology through the team. "I would like to apologize to all of our Trail Blazers fans for not being part of the team these next two games and for not being able to help us win," Miles said in the statement. "Things were said in frustration and I am sorry for that. It is very important to me that our fans understand that I am committed to winning and that the losses we have had this season have been difficult for all of us. My entire focus when I return to the team will be on winning and helping us make a run for the playoffs." Several players said the incident will blow over, and won't create a divide among pro-Cheeks and pro-Miles camps. They all said they were a team, and would remain a team. "We support Cheeks 100 percent and the same with Darius," center Joel Przybilla said. "It was just an instance of two guys having different views. I have seen worse. I was in Milwaukee with Anthony Mason, and this was nothing. We just need to move on. Shoot, we are already past it. As soon as Darius is back, we will be waiting for him." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.112.30.230