看板 Lilith 關於我們 聯絡資訊
from: http://www.icemagazine.com 我一直都比較喜歡看一些幕後的故事,尤其是比較跟寫歌或製作相關的, 這一篇訪談訪問到了 Bonnie Raitt 跟 Sheryl Crow 的錄音師 Trina Shoemaker,她們從同名專輯開始就合作到現在 Bonnie Raitt 一首歌只作一兩個版本,而且只有成竹在胸時才會進錄音室, Sheryl Crow 則會耗在錄音室裡面把一首歌一改再改, Trina Shoemaker 舉了 Safe And Sound 作例子, (這一首歌本來只是鋼琴版,911 晚會上有發表過) 這兩個人的方式還真是截然不同。 Raitt, Crow Ante Up Two of rock's most popular guitar-slinging female artists return this April with fresh discs: Bonnie Raitt (Silver Lining) and Sheryl Crow (C'mon C'mon). Raitt teams for the second time in a row with producers Mitchell Froom and Tchad Blake, also integrating African sounds into her otherwise blues-based set. Crow, in the meantime, lures in a host of guests for her self-produced effort, ranging from Don Henley and Emmylou Harris to Lenny Kravitz and Liz Phair. "Silver Lining" (Capitol, April 9) is inspired by the David Gray song of the same name, which Raitt covers on the disc. Eleven more cuts fill out the lineup: "Fool's Game," "I Can't Help You Now" (first single), "Time of Our Lives," "Gnawin' On It," "Monkey Business," "Wherever You May Be," "Valley of Pain," "Hear Me Lord," "No Gettin' Over You," "Back Around," and "Wounded Heart."The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee and nine-time Grammy clincher spent two months in Hollywood's Sound Factory late last year recording the new album. "I don't go in with anything other than the best songs I can find at home," Raitt tells ICE. "I didn't have a concept in mind. But I did know that I wanted to use my tour band and do it with Mitchell and Tchad again. This is a really experienced and adventurous team; the difficult and daunting part is the two or three years it takes to find the songs. "Though Gray drew in a substantial amount of retroactive success with his 1999 breakthrough "White Ladder," Raitt maintains that she had wanted to use the album's "Silver Lining" as her own title track since "White Ladder"'s initial release. Speaking about her version, Raitt says, "'Silver Lining' as a production is th emost experimental work that I've done, using loops made by our drummer as well as some created by a friend of ours. Mitchell has a whole arsenal of great keyboard sounds and parts in his head - it's very inventive. "She continues, referencing "Gnawin' on It," a duet between her and slide guitarist Roy Rogers recorded in the latter musician's house: "I love the way he plays slide. Having done that kind of groove on many records in the past, I wanted to reinvent it by playing to his guitar-playing style. I've got to say that's my favorite track I've ever cut." Another adventurous song, according to Raitt, is a cover of Zimbabwe musician Oliver Mtukudzi's "Hear Me God." (a sidenote from me - WindingRoad - the song is actually called "Hear Me Lord" on Bonnie's record) "We recreated [his] track pretty religiously, pardon the pun," she says. The song is one of a few dips that album takes into African music, a genre that has long since fascinated Raitt. Another tune, "Back Around," is a duet with West African musician Habib Koite. Raitt calls the track "Silver Lining"'s most innovative offering: "It's a mixture of me playiing a Delta blues/John Lee Hooker groove and him adding this beautiful acoustic gut-string guitar part that's not really like anything you would've heard played over a blues song."Other album notables include "I Can't Help You Now" and "Time of Our Lives," co-written by Tommy Sims, Gordon Kennedy and Wayne Kirkpatrick, who authored Eric Clapton's chart-topping "Change the World"; and "Wounded Heart," which Raitt calls the saddest song I've ever sung." All in all Raitt sums up "Silver Lining" with, "There's a point when you stop looking back. You've already proved yourself and you're just sittin' in it. You can throw caution to the wind and get a lot more greasy and sexual. And that's how I feel about this one." Though her music career has spanned only a fraction of Raitt's, Sheryl Crow's numbers measure up considerably. The '90s bloomer has scored 12 million albums and seven Grammys, and now reappears with "C'mon C'mon" released April 16 via A&M/Interscope. The tune stack, with guest stars in parentheses: "Steve McQueen" (bluesman Doyle Bramhall II), "Soak Up The Sun" (first single, with Liz Phair), "You're An Original" (Lenny Kravitz) "Diamond Road," "It's So Easy" (Don Henley), "C'mon C'mon," "Abilene" (Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines), "Safe and Sound," "Over You" (Bramhall), "Hole In My Pocket" and "Weather Channel" (Emmylou Harris). Pending inclusion at press time was "You're Not the One" featuring Stevie Nicks. Unlike Raitt, who only devoted one or two takes to each "Silver Lining" track, engineer Trina Shoemaker tells ICE that Crow reworked songs a number of times in the studio. "She'll do different versions, but not an enormous amount of takes on a certain vibe," explains Shoemaker. "If it's not happening, she'll stop doing it a certain way, recut it in a completely different way, revise [how] it was cut or start from scratch again." Specifically, Shoemaker points out "Safe and Sound," which also appeared on last year's "America: A Tribute To Heroes" disc. "[That] was a piece of work that started as a completely different version and morphed into what it is now," she reveals. Additionally, the crew - which also includes her ubiquitous guitar companion Jeff Trott - revamped an older Crow track "Abilene," intended for 1998's "Globe Sessions" CD. "It's just a good-feeling love song with a little country vibe to it," Shoemaker elucidates. Shoemaker depicts the Crow recording process as elaborate. Work on "C'mon C'mon," she says, "has been going on for over a year. The songs are in different stages. We would cut a song and move into a lot of shooting going on at the same time: editing, reshooting, while editors are cutting away." She also adds, "It's not like your average recording session. She's also willing to spend an enormous amount of money to make her records, and it's not going to waste." In addition to their proper studio efforts, Raitt and Crow have made a number of recent appearances on other discs. They both cropped up on Tony Bennett's "Playin' With My Friends" and Willie Nelson's "The Great Divide"; Crow also surfaced on V2's "I Am Sam" soundtrack. Raitt participated on Cesaria Evora's "Sao Vicente," Ivan Neville's "Saturday Morning Music" and sings with Don Henley on this summer's soundtrack to the Disney film "Country Bears." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 210.85.171.140