看板 Mansun 關於我們 聯絡資訊
之前由Suzi經營的Mansun網站改版了 變成以Paul為主的討論區 結果有些Mansun的資料就沒了... 像是這一份解釋Mansun歌詞裡出現的'專有名詞'的珍貴資料... 相信大家應該都看過了...但是人老了時間長了也是會忘的....(舉手) 好在Suzi有備份...就跟她討了來.... What The Hell Does THAT Mean? Here's a glossary of words that you might have been trying to find the meaning for... Ajax - A multi surface cleaner for cookers and kitchens. In 'Moronica' it is used in the context of being a drug. (Sniffing Ajax up both your noses - Moronica) (我還以為是某足球隊咧XD) Anorak - Ah, the good old anorak. Made out of transparent plastic and uncomfortable to wear, it is an all in one 'jacket' type thing you put on like a jumper to keep the rain off. Very uncool but I'm sure every kid in England has been made to wear one at some time or another. (Nik-nak paddy-wak, Chad's got an anorak - Ski Jump Nose) Seven Deadly Sins - These are: Pride (Vanity), Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger (Wrath), Covetousness (Greed) and Sloth. (You were the seven deadly sins - Electric Man) Ska - Ska music started in the late 1950s in Jamaica. It is a fusion of Jamaican mento folk rhythm with R&B. 1980s bands Madness, The Specials and Bad Manners made Ska popular in England. (Listened to Ska, that was cool - We Are The Boys) Gak - Slang name for a line of cocaine or methamphetamine. (I think I'll explode if I do too much Gak - Television) Homo - A homosexual. (A fucking homo in flesh - What It's Like To Be Hated) Glaucoma - An eye disease characterised by high fluid pressure which leads to hardening of the eyeball and partial or complete loss of vision. (Sad Glaucoma in mist - What It's Like To Be Hated) Insomnia - Disorder characterised by a chronic inability to sleep. (There's less insomnia and stress - But The Trains Run On Time, My insomnia's a pain - I Deserve What I Get) Pilloried - To be exposed to ridicule and abuse. (Watch myself pilloried - What It's Like To Be Hated) Below Deck - Under the skin or out of sight on a person's body. (Pity 'bout the scar that is hidden below deck - Moronica) Body-bag - The zip up bag a dead body is stored in. (Living in a body bag, I'm waiting - King Of Beauty) Bread - A term sometimes used to mean money in the UK. We also use the word ' dough' in the same context. (You've got no bread in our house - Lemonade Secret Drinker) Captain Scarlet - 70's English TV show featuring badly animated character models. Similar to Thunderbirds and Stingray. It was a low-budget affair with bad plots, bad animation and horrendous puppets. Therefore it was ace. (Your gun is bigger than Captain Scarlet's - Moronica) Chips - A British word for French Fries but they are bigger, greasier and often wrapped in newspaper. (Chips from the freezer come in very big portions - Drastic Sturgeon) C.I.D. - The English equivalent of the F.B.I. (C.I.D, they follow me - Take It Easy Chicken) Dob - Means the same as 'grass'. A person 'dobs' when they tell a secret about someone to get them in trouble. (If I dob on him they'll call him plastic scouser - Stripper Vicar) Down South - Mansun come from the North of England, so the South is places like London which are, wrongly I might add, considered cooler to live or work. (She's gotta get out her house, gotta get down South - Ski Jump Nose) Family Fortunes - TV quiz show, which is still shown on British TV. (Since they missed the jackpot on Family Fortunes - Lemonade Secret Drinker) Frankie Spencer - The lead character in 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em' which was a 1970's BBC sitcom. Frank's catchphrase was 'Ooh Betty!' while holding his little finger up to his mouth. Betty was his wife. He also wore a stupid beret and had a stupid voice. I admit to finding it funny. (You've said more Betty's than Frankie Spencer - Moronica) Cathy Pitkin - The actress that played Fizz in BBC ultra crap soap opera, Elderado. Paul had a big crush on her. (You're much more attractive than Cathy Pitkin - Moronica) Gob - To spit on someone or something. (You've got to gob on, your desperate icon - The Chad Who Loved Me) Grand - Equivalent to 1000. So 2 grand would be 2000. Mainly used when talking about money. (25 grand and you've worked 3 hours - Moronica) Grass - It has the same meaning as dob, which is to tell a secret to get someone in trouble. (Should I grass on him - Stripper Vicar) Keks - Underpants or knickers. (He only wants to get in your keks - Egg Shaped Fred) Mam - This is a term used in the north of England meaning Mother, Mum or Mom. (Mam's got cake, bellyache - Take It Easy Chicken) Mavis - The most used Mansun character. The Stripper Vicar's alter ego. Dark Mavis is a pun on Mansun's ex- van driver, Mark Davis. (Dear Mavis I'm compelled to write this letter / Mavis' opinion is all we really seek - Stripper Vicar, Mavis looking sexy through her dress it shines - Mansun's Only Love Song) Roses - In 'Moronica' it may mean the flower but it's more likely to be about influential late 1980's Manchester Indie band the Stone Roses. Then again, it could be the slang name for Amphetamine. (You think your cooler than all the Roses - Moronica) Sainsbury's - Supermarket chain in England, similar to Tesco, Safeways etc... (You'll be shopping at Sainsbury's - Drastic Sturgeon) Scouser - A Liverpudlian or in other words, a person from Liverpool. (If I dob on him they'll call him plastic scouser - Stripper Vicar) Plastic - A fake or unreal person. So when they say 'plastic scouser' in 'Stripper Vicar', they mean a fake Liverpudlian. (If I dob on him they'll call him plastic scouser - Stripper Vicar, Your just made of plastic - Drastic Sturgeon) Second Coming - Due to Paul's religious complex, it's probably about Jesus' resurrection. Or it could be about the Stone Roses much-loved album. (Like the Second Coming - Drastic Sturgeon) Secret Lemonade Drinker - A pun on the R. Whites drink, which ran a very famous advert during the 1980's on British TV where a man sneaked out of bed at night, went to the refrigerator and drank some R. Whites. He loved it so much he couldn't control himself and started singing in an Elvis voice "I'm a secret lemonade drinker!" (Been a Secret Lemonade Drinker, wanker - Lemonade Secret Drinker) Simon Templar - The main character from the 70s English TV show called "The Saint". Originally played by Roger Moore. Very corny but funky! (You've got more halos than Simon Templar - Moronica) Sod - Often used as 'stupid sod' which means a person is dumb or disliked. It is also an affectionate term (unlike wanker). (Stupid sod, you shout the odds - Lemonade Secret Drinker) Suspenders - Underwear that holds up Stockings. (In his stockings and suspenders - Stripper Vicar) Take It Easy - It means to relax or in northern England people say 'Take it easy' instead of 'Goodbye'. (Take it easy - Take It Easy Chicken, She'll take it easy again - Ski Jump Nose) Tea - In northern England, tea means your evening meal. (Were taking Egg Shaped Fred for tea - Egg Shaped Fred, Before you've had your tea - Moronica) Wanker - A nasty or unlikeable person (usually a man). (Been a secret lemonade drinker, wanker - Lemonade Secret Drinker) Abilene - A very unusual word which means 'the cool side of a pillow'. (Always searching for the abilene - Television) Pay-per-view - A special TV show or film on satellite TV which you prepay to view. (I'm going pay-per-view - Television) Nik-Nak Paddy-Wak - From the traditional English song which goes 'This old man, he played one, he played nik-nak on my drum, with a nik-nak paddy-wak give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home' etc... How embarrassed am I that I know this...! (Nik-nak paddy-wak, Chad's got an anorak - Ski Jump Nose) Vinegar taster - In Taoism there are 3 vinegar tasters that represents Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism. The expression on their faces after tasting the vinegar typifies their view of life. (Vinegar taster says - Shotgun) Winnie-The-Pooh - A.A Milne character. Pooh is a bear with Very Little Brain. Although thought of as a children's author, Milne's books weren't actually targeted at kids but contained amazing depth and insight into Taoism and World philosophy. Many believe he should be recognised as a philosopher on the scale of Socrates and Plato. (Like Winnie-The-Pooh - Shotgun) Serotonin - A naturally occurring hormone that controls muscle spasm. A deficiency of Seotonin is also linked to depression, insomnia and suicidal thoughts. (Serotonin from eight miles - Serotonin) Deeside - An area of Liverpool where Paul grew up. (Above Deeside in binary - Serotonin) George and Mildred - A TV couple from a 1970's sitcom. (George and Mildred are up a tree - K.I.Double.S.I.N.G) Binary - Used by computers, binary numbers are as follows 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc... maybe it refers to Paul's old job when he worked on computers retouching photos. (Above Deeside in binary - Serotonin) Redux - Means to return or bring back but due to the lyrical content of 'Serotonin' it is more likely to be about the drug called Redux which people take for Serotonin deficiency. (Redux - Serotonin) Simian - A primate such as a monkey, gorilla or man. (In my simian shoes / For a simian race - Check Under The Bed) Gobbledegook - A load of nonsensical words or thoughts. (You say they mean nothing just gobbledegook - An Open Letter To The Lyrical Trainspotter) Sad - It obviously means your unhappy but it is also used in Britain to say that something is embarrassing, boring or worthless. (The art school was sad - An Open Letter To The Lyrical Trainspotter) Spoof - Means a joke, hoax or light parody. (You can't see it's a spoof - An Open Letter To The Lyrical Trainspotter) Kwik Save - A supermarket chain, such as Tesco, Sainsburys... (You shop at Kwik Save - Drastic Sturgeon) Flower - An affectionate term for someone you like, mainly used in the North of England. They also use the word 'petal'. It could also mean the slang for Marijuana. (Wake up flower - Flourella) PO Box number - A box at the Post Office where you have mail delivered, so people don't know where you live. (A PO Box number - GSOH) Tinsel - Obviously something you put on a Christmas tree but it also means something showy but valueless. (Only for tinsel - The Edge) Balsa wood - A very strong but lightweight wood from South America. Surfboards are made with it. (Made from Balsa wood - Being A Girl) Marquis de Sade - Born in Paris, Donatien Alphonse Francois, count de Sade (1740-1814) was sent to prison for sexual abuses where he wrote sexually graphic novels and plays. He was sent to an mental asylum, released then sent back to prison where he carried on writing. When he died his son burnt his last manuscripts. The word sadism is derived from his name. (Reading novels is banned by the Marquis de Sade - Legacy) Book of Mormon - Written by the Prophet, Mormon and his son, Moroni (321-400 AD). He spent his life observing and participating in warfare. States God came from mankind, therefore man could become God. (My book of Mormon - Cancer) Confucius - A Philosopher. Confucius recognised that people learn in different ways with varying abilities, and the highest class was even beyond him. "Highest are those who are born wise. Next are those who become wise by learning. After them come those who have to work hard in order to acquire learning. Finally, to the lowest class of the common people belong those who work hard without ever managing to learn." (Confucianist rules - Shotgun) Amphetamine - A central nervous system stimulant, often taken by drug addicts. More commonly known as Speed. (Amphetamine-ah - Skin Up Pin Up) Kit off - To take your clothes off. (We've seen him with his kit off - Stripper Vicar) M53 - A motorway in England which takes you out of Chester. (M53, hit a tree - Take It Easy Chicken) Cracking - In England it means something nice or brilliant. (Taxloss lover wears a cracking dress - Taxloss) Bugger - An affectionate term you say to someone who has been naughty. Similar to 'sod'. (I'm gonna tell your mother that you've been a naughty bugger - Wide Open Space) Mescaline - A hallucinogenic drug obtained from Peyote cacti buttons in Mexico taken to see visions during religious rites. (Mescaline - Anti Everything) Marx - Karl Marx, German philosopher, economist and revolutionary (1818-1883). (The only pureness left is preached to me by Marx - Being A Girl) Stanley Kubrick - US film director. Directed 'Spartacus'. Some believe he helped the US government fake the moon landing in the 1960's. (Did Stanley Kubrick fake it with the moon? - Fall Out) Rumplestiltskin - Character in Grimm's fairy tales; agreed to help miller's daughter spin straw into gold if she would let her first daughter marry him; later freed mother from promise if she could guess his name, which she did, and so he died. (You've had more spinsters than Rumplestiltskin - Moronica) TVR - A British sports car manufacturer. (TVR, we'll drive to Prague - Take It Easy Chicken) Equilibrium - A condition of balance between opposed forces, influences or actions. (Equilibrium imbalanced again / Equilibrium unbalanced me - Six) Euthanasia - To end someone's life, with their wishes, prematurely. (You talk of euthanasia - Fall Out) Jabberwocky - The dragon-like monster and nonsense poem Alice reads in Lewis Carroll's 'Through the Looking Glass' and 'What Alice Found There' (Jabberwocky haunts me - Six) B.P store - Stands for British Petroleum. A gas station where you can buy newspapers and crappy microwavable sausage rolls and samosas :-) (Buy all my food from the B.P store - Special/Blown It) Shot my load - Well, um... I'm SURE you know what it means. (Fucked it up, shot my load - Special/Blown It) Spewed - To vomit or barf. (Spewed onto the motorway shoulder - Special/Blown It) Open University - A vocational college course that you do at home by watching learning programmes on BBC2 at 4 a.m. (I'm in the Open University - Television) Sky News - A 24 hour news channel on satellite TV (which is a favourite of Paul's). It's good but I hate the weatherman... (This is Sky News / Sky News on the hour - Television) -- http://www.pixnet.net/Gronkjaer -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 220.139.236.51
SourSoul:感謝 01/16 00:45
Moronica:哎呀~讓我想起剛開始聽歌時狂查字典(卻又沒啥用)的日子了 01/16 23:01
aquadrowner:太感謝你了~~~有這種版友好幸福...(擤鼻拭淚中...) 01/17 00:30
yijuan:感謝感謝~~ 01/18 09:30