看板 Mansun 關於我們 聯絡資訊
http://tinyurl.com/6hrvxw Hello Paul and welcome to Retrophobic.com... I always thought of some kind of analogy between what happened (musically speaking) th the UK in the 60s and in the 90s... and I've always seen Mansun as a psychedelic/proggy/far seeing band like The End or July were in the 60s... what do you think about this parallel? I certainly don't think we were a mainstream band but we seemed to have some success commercially, I'mm not sure about specific comparisons as parallels can be drawn from all over the place for all artists. I think I draw from all sorts of music, some of it very mainstream and some of it very obscure and some not really in the realms of popular music at all. In terms of 60s psychedelic bands I dont think we were massively influenced by that scene in particular, although the guitarist in Mansun was very influenced by Syd Barrett. From Attack Of The Grey Lantern on, your records always came with some "cryptic" lyrical contents and complex (but always "pop") musical statements... where did you get your "non musical" inspiration from? I got inspiration from all over the place, in my blog about the Six record I discuss some of the influences, for instance tv shows such as The Prisoner, books such as The Tao Of Pooh or general themes such as religion or relationships. I used allegory in the lyrics too, things weren't exactly as obvious as they seemed. I was also influenced by comedy shows such as The Goon show and Monty Python's Flying Circus. Generally though my lyrics simply came from events and situations that occured in my life and i would catologue them as they happened in a notebook and make songs out of them. I'm listening back to "Six" right now... I wonder if you wanted to somehow "guide" the listener through the album experience (I mean the tempo changes, the quiet spots, the melodic hooks and back again), and if you were thinking about the way your music was took in by the people... As i said previously i discuss the album in detail in my blog about the record which is available to my mailing list. You can read in detail there about the musical and lyrical influences on the album, the meaning of the lyrics and the recording process of making the album. My blog is available from the mailing list at http://www.pauldraper.info/ or www.mansun.co.uk I was thinking back to the video you did for the "Taxloss" single (basically: Mansun gave away £25,000 on a working morning in Liverpool St. Station in London, throwing £5 banknotes from the top of the balcony over the crowd, ndr)... and this led me to this question: what was your relationship with money during the Mansun days? Haha, that's a question I dont really want to discuss... although it was quite a controversial thing to throw away the budget that was supposed to be used to make the video as part of the video making process itself. This is a personal one... which were your worst fears as a young man in a successful band, in the 90s, in the most important country of Europe? Was there something scary in this polaroid? I'mm not sure there were fears as such being in a band in England as opposed to being in a band in any country. You always have the fear that the band might cease to exist but when it does its quite a liberating experience to be out of the treadmill. Looking back to that period, what do you think about the qualitative aspect of the Britpop musical phenomenon in the wider sense? I dont really think we fitted in to the scene that was going on in England at the time. We started off as quite a derivative band, very much of the time but by the time of the first album I think my songwriting developed into its own style not really in the Britpop catergory which of course meant we didn't get as much commercial exposure as we could have if we'd have stayed within the parameters of Britpop. What it does mean though is that the music has stood up pretty well over time so people are still very much into the records we made even to this day. How did your life in Mansun changed you and made you the man you're now? Did it make you a more optimistic or pessimistic person? I think I'm pretty much the same person as I have always been in terms of who I am as a person and my values and views on things. Being in a touring rock group does change your view of life though. I think I was pessemistic as a person generally before I was in a band, a classic angry young man, but these days I think im more philosophical about life so i've changed in that respect. Could you please tell us something about the music you're "handling and composing" right now? What kind of stuff shall we expect from Paul Draper in 2008? I'm working on my own project at the moment, firstly I'll be giving away some free downloads to my mailing list and see where it develops from there. I think it will be very liberating to be able to put out songs whenever I feel like straight to the people who have an appreciation of the stuff I do lyrically and musically Thanks so much for this interview Paul, hope you liked the questions and we hope to have something new from you soon! Thanks so much for your interest in my songs. Wy warmest regards Paul x -------------------- 沒什麼新意的訪問 ... 不如大家來題目接龍 集思廣益一下看看大家最想問Paul什麼好了XD 一時想到 我想問Paul曾參加過影響他人生最重要的一場演唱會是哪場 .. -- All come crashing down, your desperate icon. You've got to gob on, your desperate icon. You'll all come crashing in, your desperate icon You've got to gob on, your desperate icon. Am I a God or am I Jesus? Am I a man or am I a boy? Do I feel love or just possession? Do I feel holy or nothing at all? You can't deny, That your shit just tastes as sweet as mine. And you can't deny, That your shit just tastes as sweet as mine. Sweet Jesus. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 59.112.139.26
yijuan:我想問的問題很跳痛 XD 我想問他希望新版的The Prisoner由 09/17 10:03
yijuan:誰來演?據說會有新版電影跟電視劇,電影版導演是Nolan XD 09/17 10:04
stev:@.@ 09/17 11:27