看板 Math 關於我們 聯絡資訊
http://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/ You ask about the mathematical use of words like "field" and "ring" (p.1). I think that "field", "ring", "group" and "domain" are all cases where mathematicians chose a general word meaning "a collection of things that one can choose from", and gave it a technical meaning. I don't think that any particular differences between the meanings of those words motivated these choices; whoever came first got first pick. So far as I know, all European languages use for "ring", "group" and "(integral) domain" words having the same literal meanings as the English ones; but for "field" they are split: English and Spanish use the word meaning a (farmer's) field, while French and German use the word for "body" (French "corps", German "Koerper"). For the analogous structures but where multiplication may be noncommutative, these languages use modified terms: "skew field", "corps gauche", "Schiefkoerper". But Russian avoids this awkwardness: Someone must have noticed the situation in Western languages, and cleverly assigned their word for "field" (polya) to the commutative concept, and the word for "body" (telo) to the one without an assumption of commutativity. I have sometimes conjectured that the choice of the word "ring" was a pun: A subset of C is a ring if and only if it is "closed" under the appropriate operations. (On the other hand, Z/n can be thought of as ring-like in a different way.) --- 代數裡面怪怪的名字很多, 比方為什麼ideal要叫做ideal而不是normal subring? 諸如此類. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 98.154.98.252
Sfly :ideal跟數論有關, 是從"理想數"來的 03/15 19:44
GaussQQ :ideal這個概念可以去看Kummer 為了解決費馬問題提出 03/15 21:41
GaussQQ :來的 03/15 21:41
recorriendo :ideal的相關概念都是跟普通subgroup類比而不是normal 03/16 02:02
recorriendo :supgroup 像generator就是 03/16 02:03