看板 NED-BEL-LUX 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Martin who? By Benjamin Waldbaum Tuesday, June 3, 2003 Behind a monstrous 27 aces, Martin Verkerk muscled his way past '98 champ Carlos Moya (6-3 6-4 5-7 4-6 8-6) and into the 2003 Roland-Garros semi finals late Tuesday. He is only the fifth man in the Open Era to reach the last four here on debut and the first Dutchman in the semis since Richard Krajicek in 1993. And like he had done when he beat fourth round opponent No11 Rainer Schuettler, the big Dutchman fell to the ground in sheer jubilation. Verkerk was the last name on most tipsters' list when it came to predicting the semi final line up. Dutch No1 Sjeng Schalken maybe, but Martin Verkerk? Not likely 퀠he hadn't even won a match at the last US and Australian Opens! Verkerk is currently ranked 46th in the world, and has only recently emerged from the Challenger circuit at the relatively late age of 25. To be fair, he is not a complete unknown - he made the quarter finals at Indianapolis last year, but reaching the same stage in a Grand Slam was a big step up. "I've been making a lot of progress. I've been training a lot. I used to be pretty lazy. I used to say to myself that I could probably make the top 100 without trying too hard. But I've now decided to go as far as I can, to the best of my ability." He prefers clay! In the same vein as Richard Krajicek, Verkerk has a boom-boom service (93 aces already) and thundering groundstrokes. Despite his imposing physique (1.90m, 89kg), this admirer of Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras is nimble around the court, which goes some of the way to explain his all-court ability, and personal preference for clay. Nicknamed the "Leiderdorp leveller", after his home town, Verkerk won his first title on the ATP tour in Milan at the expense of Yevgeny Kafelnikov. Two weeks later though, in the decisive Davis Cup rubber against Swiss Michel Kratochvil, he missed a set point to go 2-1 up, lost the match (and the tie) and his confidence took a knock. He only won two of his next ten matches. Coached by New Zealander Nick Carr, Verkerk got his season back on track in the Masters Series in Rome. He emerged from the qualifiers to beat Vince Spadea, Andy Roddick and Jarkko Nieminen before conceding defeat to Kafelnikov in the quarter finals. A semi final spot in St-Polten last week set him up nicely for Roland-Garros too. Croat Zeljko Krajan, Peruvian Luis Horna, Spadea, Schuettler - and now Moya have all fallen victim to Verkerk's power game. "I'm not surprised at how well I'm playing. But I am surprised at winning... I don't want to look too far ahead. In any case, anything can happen..." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw) ◆ From: 61.230.110.81 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw) ◆ From: 61.230.112.87 ※ 編輯: esnique 來自: 61.230.118.124 (06/07 20:52)