看板 NTU-Exam 關於我們 聯絡資訊
課程名稱︰文學作品讀法(上) 課程性質︰大一必修 課程教師︰朱偉誠 開課學院:文學院 開課系所︰外文系 考試日期(年月日)︰2011.11.28 考試時限(分鐘):2.5hr (後來多20mins) 是否需發放獎勵金:是 (如未明確表示,則不予發放) 試題 : 可以不按照順序寫,但需要標明題號 1. Explain the meaning of the following passage and point out the significance for the whole story:(5%) Mrs. Slade and Mrs. Ansley had lived opposite each other—actually as well as figuratively—for years. When the drawing-room curtains in No. 20 East 73rd Street were renewed, No. 23, across the way, was always aware of it.[...] But she had grown bored with it [...] and when they bought in upper Park Avenue had already begun to think: "I'd rather live opposite a speakeasy for a change; at least one might see it raided." [...] She sometimes wondered if it had crossed the street, and reached Mrs. Ansley. She hoped not, but didn't much mind. Those were the days when respectability was at a discount, and it did the irreproachable no harm to laugh at them a little. 2. Explain the meaning of the following passage and point out the significance for the whole story:(5%) It was a big, squarish frame house that had once been white, decorated with cupolas and spires and scrolled balconies in the heavily lightsome style of the seventies, set on what had once been our most select street. But garages and cotton gins had encroached and obliterated even the august names of that neighborhood; only Miss Emily's house was left, lifting its stubborn and coquettish decay above the cotton wagons and the gasoline pumps—an eyesore among eyesores. 3. Explain how the title of Linda Brewer's "20/20" leads you to the theme of the story as well as how it also puts an ironic twist to it.(5%) 4. Identify the conflict of Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" and explain how it is resolved by linking both to characterization of the story.(5%) 5. Define the concepts of "voice" and "focus" in point of view analysis by using Edith Wharton's "Roman Fever" as illustration.(5%) 6. First explain the argument of the following passage and then apply it to a reading—i.e. by pointing out the main features as well as summarizing the plot—of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper":(10%) But if Faulkner is merely interested in relating a case history of abnormal psychology, the story lacks meaning and justification as a story.... If the story is to be justified, there must be what may be called a moral significance , a meaning in moral terms—not merely psychological terms. 7. Define the "third-person" point of view, explain its normal characteristics, and illustrate the above with one example that conforms to the norm and one that deviates from it (both examples should be from stories we cover in class).(5%) 8. Define the "first-person" point of view, explain its normal characteristics, and illustrate the above with one example that conforms to the norm and one that deviates from it (both examples should be from stories we cover in class).(5%) 9. Determine what Lorrie Moore's "How" tries to do by identifying its protagonist, describing his or her personality, then link the above to the story's peculiarity in terms of point of view and tense.(10%) 10. Explain the interaction of two characters as seen in the following dialogue from Ernest Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants":(5%) "Come on back in the shade," he said. "You mustn't feel that way." "I don't feel any way," the girl said. "I just know things." "I don't want you to do anything that you don't want to do " "Nor that isn't good for me," she said. "I know. Could we have another beer?" "All right. But you've got to realize—" "I realize," the girl said. "Can't we maybe stop talking?" 11. Summarize the plot of the film "The Good Guy" and explain the film's relevance to this course.(5%) 12. Discuss the theme of "Roman Fever" by linking its plot with characterization (especially in the first section) as well as the symbolic meaning of the setting.(5%) 13. Rewrite the significant moments of "Roman Fever" from the perspective of Grace Ansley (i.e. what she must have thought/felt at those moments).(5%) 14. Analyze the plot of Toni Morrison's "Recitatif" in terms of how it conforms to or deviates from the classic strcture put forth in the textbook.(5%) 15. What contextual information is crucial for understanding "Recitatif" and A.S. Byatt's "The Thing In The Forest"?(5%) 16. Analyze the focal character in Anton Chekhov's "The Lady with the Dog" in terms of characterization (flat or round, static or dymamic).(5%) 17. Explain "symbolism" by using "The Thing In The Forest" as illustration.(5%) 18. Summarize the plot of William Faulkner's "A Rose for Emily" in chronological order from the perspective of Emily.(10%) 19. Explain the following critical opinion on "A Rose for Emily" by referring to the concrete contents of the story:(5%) ... it is a story of a woman victimized and betrayed by the system of sexual politics, who nevertheless has discovered, within the structures that victimize her, sources of the power for herself.... Faulkner's story is an analysis of how men's attitudes toward women turn back upon themselves.... (試題結束) 感想:只能說教授真的很重視大家要活用學到的觀念,死背一些名詞是沒有用處的,另外我 的淺見是每一篇故事都要讀,即便有的只是上課討論一下而已(因為都會考=口=).頭 一次把整份答案卷寫完還要再拿一張的;還有喔~有些題目和考古題頗像的,只是會加 入不同的整理條件,例如像"A Rose for Emily",如果可以先把整個亂糟糟的時間軸整 理清楚,寫第18題時就會很好用! 最後.真的辛苦所有考試的同學了:) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 58.115.93.99 ※ 編輯: Qdream 來自: 58.115.93.99 (11/30 21:37)