看板 Warfare 關於我們 聯絡資訊
The Japanese in a well orchestrated political and public relations campaign have now proposed that the use of the term "V-J Day" be replaced by the more benign "Victory in the Pacific Day". How convenient. 透過精心安排的政治和公共關係,日本建議將「對日勝利日」用更具良性的「太平洋勝利 日」取代。真是方便啊(?)。 This they claim will make the commemoration of the end of the war in the Pacific less "Japan specific". 他們宣稱,這個術語將會使太平洋戰爭的結束不會「特別與日本相關」。 An op-ed piece written by Dorothy Rabinowitz appearing in the April 5 Wall Street Journal accurately sums up this outrage: 一篇4月5日由杜羅西.拉比諾維茲所撰寫的華爾街日報報導,準確概括這樣的暴行—— The reason it appears, is that some Japanese find the reference disturbing - and one can see why. The term, especially the "J" part, does serve to remind the world of the identity of the nation whose defeat millions celebrated in August 1945. In further deference to Japanese sensitivities, a U.S. official (who wisely chose to remain unidentified) also announced, with reference to the planned ceremonies, that "our whole effort in this thing is to commemorate an event, not celebrate a victory."?Some might argue so what's in a word - Victory over Japan, Victory in the Pacific - Let's celebrate an event, not a victory. 原因是被一些日本人發現的話,會感到不安——人們都可以看到為什麼。這個詞,尤其是 「J」的那一部分,會提醒在1945年8月,有數以百萬的人慶祝擊敗這個國家。為了尊重日 本人的敏感性,一位不願具名的美國官員也宣佈,在參考規劃儀式時,會聲稱「我們是為 了紀念一個事件,而不是慶祝一場勝利。」也許有人會有疑問,這有什麼差別呢?戰勝日 本,太平洋的勝利——讓我們慶祝一個事件,而不是一場勝利。 A say everything is in a word. Celebrate an EVENT!? 我要說,話語就是一切。慶祝一個事件!? Kind of like celebrating the opening of a shopping mall rather than the end of a war that engulfed the entire Earth - which left countless millions dead and countless millions more physically or mentally wounded and countless more millions displaced. 聽起來就像慶祝一家購物中心開幕,而非結束一場席捲整個地球——造成無數的人死亡、 無數身心受傷者和無數難民的戰爭。 This assault on the use of language is Orwellian and is the tool by which history and memory are blurred. Words can be just as destructive as any weapon. Up is down. Slavery is freedom. Aggression is peace. 這種對語言的攻擊,就像歐威爾主義【註3】一樣,是讓歷史和記憶模糊不清的工具。語 言的破壞性,和任何武器沒有什麼不同——(如果)「上」是「下」,「奴役」是「自由」 、「侵略」是「和平」…… 【註3】指現代保守政體藉宣傳、誤報、否認事實、操縱過去,來執行社會控制,包括冷 處理、蒸發,公開紀錄和大多數人記憶中均被抹煞不存在。典故是來自於「1984」和「動 物農莊」作者George Orwell,因為「1984」書中男主角從事竄改歷史的工作。 In some ways this assault on our language and history by the elimination of accurate and descriptive words is far more insidious than the actual aggression carried out by the Japanese 50 years ago. At least then the threat was clear, the enemy well defined. 由某些層面看來,這次消除我們語言和歷史的準確描述文字攻擊,比日本50年前實際進行 的侵略更為陰險。至少,那時的威脅很清楚、敵人很明確。 Today the Japanese justify their conduct by artfully playing the race card. They were not engaged in a criminal enterprise of aggression. No, Japan was simply liberating the oppressed masses of Asia from WHITE Imperialism.? 今日,日本狡詐打出種族牌,來為他們的行為辯解。他們沒有犯冒險侵略的罪。不,日本 僅僅是將受壓迫的亞洲平民,從白人帝國主義手中解放出來。 Liberation!! Yes, they liberated over 20 million innocent Asians by killing them. I'm sure those 20 million, their families and the generations never to be, appreciate the noble effort of the Japanese. 解放!!是的,他們用殺害的方式,解放超過2000萬無辜的亞洲人。我敢肯定,這2000萬 人,他們的家人和後代永遠不可能欣賞日本人這樣的高貴努力。 I am often asked was the bomb dropped for vengeance, as was suggested by one draft of the Smithsonian exhibit. That we sought to destroy an ancient and honorable culture. 我經常被問到,投下原子彈是否因為復仇,就像史密斯森學會所展出的那樣。我們試圖摧 毀一個古老而光榮的文化。 Here are some more inconvenient facts. 這裡有一些較為不便(說明?)的事實。 One, on the original target list for the atomic missions Kyoto was included. Although this would have been a legitimate target, one that had not been bombed previously, Secretary of State Henry Stimson removed it from the list because it was the ancient capital of Japan and was also the religious center of Japanese culture. 首先,在原本的原子彈轟炸目標名單上,包括京都市。雖然它的確是一個合法的目標,先 前未遭到空襲轟炸,美國國務卿亨利.史汀生【註4】將它從名單中移除。因為它也是日本 的古都,同時也是日本文化的宗教中心。 【註4】此處,Sweeny少將的記憶有些混淆。Henry Lewis Stimson的確擔任過美國國務卿 ,但那是1929~1933年間的事情。1940~1945年太平洋戰爭期間,Stimson的職務為美國 戰爭部長。 Two, we were under strict orders during the war that under no circumstances were we to ever bomb the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, even though we could have easily leveled it and possibly killed the Emperor. So much for vengeance. 其次,我們收到嚴格命令,戰爭期間,不論在任何情況下,我們都不得轟炸東京的皇宮— —雖然我們能輕鬆夷平它,也可能殺死天皇,如果我們要報復…… I often wonder if Japan would have been shown such restraint if they had the opportunity to bomb the White House. I think not. 我常常在想,如果日本人有機會轟炸白宮,他們是否會如此克制。我認為不會。 At this point let me dispel one of many longstanding myths that our targets were intended to be civilian populations. Each target for the missions had significant military importance - Hiroshima was the headquarters for the southern command responsible for the defense of Honshu in the event of an invasion and it garrisoned seasoned troops who would mount the initial defense. 在這一點,請讓我澄清一個長久以來的誤解,那就是我們以平民為目標。每個任務目標都 有重大軍事重要性——廣島是南方司令部所在地,負責防衛本州入侵,有負責第一波防禦 的駐防部隊駐守。 Nagasaki was an industrial center with the two large Mitsubishi armaments factories. In both Hiroshima and Nagasaki the Japanese had integrated these industries and troops right in the heart of each city. 長崎是工業中心,擁有兩座大型三菱軍工廠。在廣島和長崎,日本都將他們的工廠和軍隊 配置在市中心。 As in any war our goal was, as it should be, to win. The stakes were too high to equivocate. 正如同任何戰爭一樣,我們的目標——應該是——贏。(放過他們?)風險太高,所以不能 含糊不清。 I am often asked if I ever think of the Japanese who died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. 我也常常被問到,我是否想過死在廣島和長崎的日本人。 I do not revel in the idea that so many on both sides died, not only at those two places but around the world in that horrible conflict. I take no pride or pleasure in the brutality of war whether suffered by my people or those of another nation. Every life is precious. 我沒有因此陶醉,因為雙方都死很多人。在這場可怕衝突中,不只在這兩個地方,還包含 世界各地的死者。我不為戰爭的殘酷而驕傲或歡樂,不論遭受到的是我國人民,或是另一 個民族。每一條生命都是寶貴的。 But it does seem to me such a question is more appropriately directed to the Japanese war lords who so willingly offered up their people to achieve their visions of greatness. They who started the war and then stubbornly refused to stop it must be called to account. Don't they have the ultimate responsibility for all the deaths of their countrymen? 但對我來說,這樣一個問題似乎比較適合去問日本軍閥——那些願意為達成他們遠大目標 ,而犧牲自己人民的人。他們發動戰爭,而頑固拒絕停止。難道他們不需要為死亡的國民 負起最終責任嗎? Perhaps if the Japanese came to grips with their past and their true part in the war they would hold those Japanese military leaders accountable. The Japanese people deserve an answer from those that brought such misery to the nations of the Far East and ultimately to their own people. Of course this can never happen of we collaborate with the Japanese in wiping away the truth. How can Japan ever reconcile with itself and the United States if they do not demand and accept the truth? 也許,如果日本人正視自己的過去,和自己在戰爭中真正的所作所為,他們會追究日本軍 方領導人的責任。日本人民應該提供遠東人民一個答案,誰將痛苦帶給遠東各國,並且最 終帶給自己的人民。當然,如果我們和日本一起抹殺真相,這是不可能發生的。如果他們 不接受真相,日本要如何和自己及美國和解? My crew and I flew these missions with the belief that they would bring the war to an end. There was no sense of joy. There was a sense of duty and commitment that we wanted to get back to our families and loved ones. 我的組員和我在執行這些任務時,相信這會帶來戰爭的終結。我們沒有喜悅感;有的,只 是責任感和決心,我們要回到我們的家庭和親人身邊。 Today millions of people in America an in southeast Asia are alive because the war ended when it did. 今天,數百萬美國人和東南亞人還活著,因為那場戰爭在應該結束的時候結束。 I do not stand here celebrating the use of nuclear weapons. Quite the contrary, I hope that my mission is the last such mission ever flown. 我不支持慶祝使用核武器。相反的,我希望我的任務是最後一次。 We as a nation can abhor the existence of nuclear weapons. 我們作為一個民族,可以厭惡核武器的存在。 I certainly do. 我是誠心誠意的。 But that does not then mean that, back in August of 1945, given the events of the war and the recalcitrance of our enemy, President Truman was not obliged to use all the weapons at his disposal to end the war. 但是,回溯1945年8月,這不意味因為戰爭的後果和敵人的頑固,杜魯門總統不能使用他有 權使用的所有武器,來結束這場戰爭。 I agreed with Harry Truman then, and I still do today. 我同意哈利.杜魯門總統的決定,不論是當時或現在。 Years after the war Truman was asked if he had any second thoughts. He said emphatically, "No." He then asked the questioner to remember the men who died at Pearl Harbor who did not have the benefit of second thoughts. 在戰爭結束多年後,杜魯門被問到,他是否有第二種選擇。他強調說,「沒有」。接著, 他反問這位發問者,是否記得那些死在珍珠港的人也沒有第二種選擇? In war the stakes are high. As Robert E. Lee said, "it is good that war is so horrible, or we might grow to like it." 戰爭風險很高。就如同羅伯特.愛德華.李將軍說過的,「戰爭如此殘酷,是一件好事, 否則我們可能會愛上它。」 I thank God that it was we who had this weapon and not the Japanese or the Germans. The science was there. Eventually someone would have developed this weapon. Science can never be denied. It finds a way to self-fulfillment. 我真心感謝上帝,是我們擁有這種的武器,而非日本或德國。科學是存在的。最後還是會 有人發展出這種武器。科學不能被否定。它有一個自我實現的路。 The question of whether it was wise to develop such a weapon would have eventually been overcome by the fact that it could be done. The Soviets would have certainly proceeded to develop their own bomb. Let us not forget that Joseph Stalin was no less evil than Tojo or his former ally Adolf Hitler. At last count, Stalin committed genocide on at least 20 million of his own citizens. 關於製造這種武器是否明智的問題,終究會因為它還是會被製造出來的事實而壓倒。蘇聯 人就發展出自己的原子彈。我們不要忘記,約瑟夫.史達林不會比東條英機或他的前盟友 亞道夫.希特勒善良到哪裡去。在去年的統計中,史達林犯下至少造成2000萬國民的大屠 殺。 The world is a better place because German and Japanese fascism failed to conquer the world. 由於德國和日本法西斯被擊敗,世界變得更好。 Japan and Germany are better places because we were benevolent in our victory. The youth of Japan and the United States, spared from further needless slaughter, went on to live and have families and grow old. 因為我們在戰爭中的仁慈,日本和德國都變成更好的地方。日本和美國的青年得以免於不 必要的殺戮,可以享受人生,擁有家庭,安享晚年。 As the father of ten children and the grandfather of 21, I can state that I am certainly grateful that the war ended when it did. 作為十名小孩的父親和二十一名小孩的祖父,我能說我很高興那場戰爭的結束。 I do not speak for all veterans of that war. But I believe that my sense of pride in having served my country in that great conflict is shared by all veterans. This is why the truth about that war must be preserved. We veterans are not shrinking violets. Our sensibilities will not be shattered in intelligent and controversial debate. We can handle ourselves. 我不是為所有在那場戰爭退伍的軍人發言。但我相信,我的自豪感可以和我國在這場世界 上最大衝突中退伍的軍人共享。這就是為什麼戰爭真相必須保存。我們退伍軍人也不是退 伍就完蛋。我們的情感不會被智慧和爭議的辯論破壞。我們可以自我處理(控制情緒)。 But we will not, we cannot allow armchair second guessers to frame the debate by hiding facts from the American public and the world. I have great faith in the good sense and fairness of the American people to consider all of the facts and make an informed judgment about the war's end. This is an important debate. The soul of our nation, its essence, its history, is at stake. 但我們不會、也不能允許不切實際者藉由對美國民眾和全世界隱藏事實,來發出辯論。我 對理智和公正的美國人有信心,他們會考慮所有的事實,並對戰爭結束之事作出明智的判 斷。這是一場重要的辯論。我們的民族靈魂、它的本質,以及其歷史,正處於危險之中。 Maj Gen Charles W. Sweeney, USAF (Ret) May 11,1995 美國退役空軍少將查爾斯.W.斯溫尼,1995年5月11日 (End) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 自從高中畢業後,就再也沒唸過英文。何況,這也不是我的專業。所以,這種三流翻譯讓 各位大概參考吧。 我只能說,我沒漏翻。 -- 蟲洞書簡"將痛苦注入石頭"讀後感: 「痛苦,會因時間而逐漸被淡忘;幼稚,能隨時間而漸趨於成熟。 時間,可以將受傷的心靈加以安撫;時間,可以讓破碎的感情轉為平淡。 時間之於心情,就如水之於溶液; 只要愈多、愈長久;就會愈淡、愈雋永。」 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.168.72.80
valepiy:辛苦 推! 02/23 17:01
dany9177:感恩,一字一句的看完了。 02/23 17:10
viroid:推 辛苦了 02/23 17:13
duomaxlee:辛苦了(鞠躬) 02/23 17:20
vavamk:感恩,辛苦了,謝謝! 02/23 17:22
gametv:推!看完後內心有種澎湃感 02/23 17:30
PsycoZero:老將軍的子孫真多... 02/23 18:14
gfneo:感恩推 02/23 18:42
Swallow43:辛苦推~ 02/23 18:59
geosys:推 02/23 19:46
terryts:辛苦了!! 02/23 19:59
john801121:小提醒 不能炸皇宮那裏的"level"是"剷平"喔 02/23 20:35
x8318:辛苦了,謝謝! 02/23 20:54
x8318:有個小地方,...杜魯門總統有"義務"去放棄使用... 02/23 20:56
chungrew:推! 02/23 21:09
Hartmann:推 02/23 21:48
Timbug:辛苦了~謝謝你的翻譯~ 02/23 22:06
Uber:感謝分享 02/23 22:08
kongsj:字字鏗鏘阿!! 02/23 22:27
chikasa:推,日本把自己當受害者實在是得了便宜還賣乖 02/23 22:34
BunkerHill:推~ 02/23 22:44
easycompany:push 02/23 22:59
Foremanytz:大推 02/23 23:07
wei813:辛苦推 感謝你的翻譯!! 02/23 23:45
colin90149:感謝翻譯,但不喜歡米國鄉民的發言 02/24 00:28
wadeawp:辛苦了 看了很感動 02/24 01:28
f0960031:翻譯與貼文辛苦了,清流推一。 02/24 01:44
jrhouse:辛苦推。 02/24 02:04
tchavelier:有心 02/24 02:26
AaronWang:感謝翻譯,日本被扔原子彈只能說活該 02/24 07:10
gbpacker:推,感激翻譯 02/24 08:01
rommel1:如果當時的美軍擁有沙皇核彈該有多好 給它丟下去~~~ 02/24 08:34
loser1:美軍有小男孩就夠驚世駭俗了,沙皇核蛋丟了也炸不到戰犯 02/24 09:05
sky987:日本需要更坦承的面對自己犯下的戰爭罪行 希望以後不會再戰 02/24 09:34
hl4:美國就是從那之後變成正義使者的嗎? 02/24 10:19
GTHO:水!! 02/24 10:41
qilai:中間那句應該是"數百萬在東南亞和美國的人還活著" 02/24 15:20
sigsig:日本人沒有被丟會收手嗎???? 活該被丟怪誰??? 02/25 00:02
killeryuan:沒有被丟的話 當然打到最後還是得收手的 怪誰?怪戰爭吧 02/25 13:10
LUDWIN:沒有被丟就怪英美鬼畜了XD香菇真是個好藉口 02/25 13:34
tonybin:好動人的演說阿 02/25 18:08
annie06045:推 感謝翻譯 文筆很好XD 02/25 19:12
Fitzwilliam:we can handle ourselves -> 我們可以管好自己? 02/26 01:26
Fitzwilliam:也就是前句說的不讓自己的情緒影響理性計算 02/26 01:27
e1000060:推翻譯~我同樣覺得日本要正視當年的事實 02/26 16:48
kinmen0963:感謝翻譯~日本被種香菇真的是咎由自取 02/26 23:18
faratia:數百萬在美國與東南亞的人還活著,因為戰爭在該結束的時候 03/01 10:11
moist:辛苦推 日本面對戰爭罪行的態度實在是讓人很不欣賞 03/03 09:11
Swallow43:NHK其實拍了很多檢討跟反省的片子,可惜自己人都不賞臉了 03/07 02:55
LUDWIN:其實還好,那種無腦極右的還是少數,大部分日本人還是能認 03/09 10:13
LUDWIN:清父祖輩去海外幹啥好事因此被轟炸的原因 03/09 10:13
ImprovingMe:可以感受為何杜魯門總統決定要丟香菇,原來如此 03/24 20:38
paulyung:其實沒丟於原子彈也不會多死十萬美國人,就是多拖延半年 04/19 16:12
paulyung:反而日本會多死三千萬人,餓死。只是蘇聯會南下到長江口 04/19 16:12
qpmzw:感謝翻譯 日本請檢討 該跟韓國阿共一起正對歷史了 05/15 19:09
Arnhem:知道自我反省的左派在日本數量有減少的趨勢 05/23 22:24
umano:戰前:國家主義至上=>戰後(特別是新左翼減少後)歐威爾主義 05/29 02:28
markov:對日本軍國我持敵對 對日本百姓無知我冷感 但災害我可以幫 06/01 22:48
NineGon: 07/12 08:01
hinenak:Second thought不是翻第二選擇,應該是翻成有沒有猶豫。 07/13 13:44
Leika:這位將軍的思路真好 不想台灣的只會升官 07/23 08:19
jessew07:不懂為什麼每次millions都會被翻成數百萬 07/23 14:17
jessew07:在進位到billion前的範圍都是millions 07/23 14:18
jessew07:offer up是犧牲的意思 07/23 14:21
※ 編輯: qlz 來自: 218.167.99.199 (09/15 06:09)
sneak: push https://muxiv.com 08/13 07:04
sneak: 老將軍的子孫真多... https://daxiv.com 09/16 03:14
sneak: 推! https://noxiv.com 01/01 22:49