作者hahastarr (漫步中的哈哈星人)
看板poem
標題[譯詩] Taylor Mali, What Teachers make
時間Fri Aug 12 14:31:08 2011
請務必配合影片食用:
http://youtu.be/8I_JK6tTGKo
<老師做什麼> by Taylor Mali
He says the problem with teachers is, "What's a kid going to learn
他說老師的問題就是,「一個小孩會從他們那裡學到
from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher."
人生中最好的選擇就是成為一個老師。」
He reminds the other dinner guests that you know it's true what they say about
他使我想起另一些一起吃晚餐的人說,你知道那句話說得沒錯,關於
teachers: Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
老師:那些會做的,做;那些不會做的,就教。
I decide to bite my tongue instead of his
我決定保持沉默而不是讓別人閉嘴
and resist the urge to remind the other dinner guests
並且奮力去抵抗提醒座上其他人的衝動──
that it's also true what they say about lawyers.
他們說的關於律師的那些也是沒錯的。
Because we're eating, after all, and this is supposed to be polite
conversation.
因為我們正在用餐,而且再說這該是個客氣有禮的談話。
"I mean, you1 re a teacher, Taylor," he says.
「我的意思是,你是個老師,泰勒」,他說。
"Come on, be honest. What do you make?"
「來吧,誠實點。你到底在做些什麼?」
And I wish he hadn't done that
而我希望他沒有這麼做
(asked me to be honest)
(叫我誠實)
because, you see, then I have this little policy
因為,你看,我有一個小原則
about honesty and ass-kicking:
關於誠實和損人:
which is if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.
如果你自討苦吃,我就會成全你。
You wanna know what I make?
你想知道我在做什麼?
I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
我讓小孩子比他們能夠想像的還要努力用功。
I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional medal of honor
我能讓丙上感覺像是至高無上的榮耀
and an A- feel like a slap in the face.
也能讓甲下像是打在臉上的巴掌。
How dare you waste my time with anything less than your very best.
你竟敢浪費我的時間還不使出全力做到最好。
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall
我讓小孩子坐在課堂整整四十分鐘
in absolute silence. No, you may not work in groups.
一點聲音都沒有。不行,你們不能分組活動。
No, you can not ask a question. So put your hand down.
不行,你們不能問問題。所以把手放下。
Why won't I let you go to the bathroom?
為什麼我不讓你們去廁所?
Because you're bored, and you don't really have to go, do you?
因為你們只是無聊,而不是真的需要上,是吧?
I make parents tremble in fear when I call home at around dinner time:
我讓家長嚇得發抖,在我接近晚餐時間打電話的時候:
Hey this is Mr. Mali,
嘿我是馬里老師,
I hope I haven't called at a bad time,
希望我沒有選錯時間打電話,
I just wanted to talk to you about something you son said today.
我只是想與你談談一些你兒子今天和我講的東西。
He said, "Leave the kid alone. I still cry sometimes, don't you?"
他說,
「不要去煩小孩子,我有時候還是會哭,難道你不會嗎?」
And it was the noblest act of courage that I have ever seen.
而那是我見過最崇高最有勇氣的舉動。
I make parents see their children for who they are
我讓家長們理解他們的小孩是什麼樣的人
and who they can be.
和可以成為什麼樣的人。
You want to know what I make?
你想知道我做的是什麼?
I make kids wonder,
我讓小孩思考,
I make them question.
讓他們質疑,
I make them criticize.
讓他們批判。
I make them apologize and mean it.
我讓他們道歉,而且真心誠意。
I make them write, write, write.
我讓他們寫、寫、寫。
And then I make them read.
然後讓他們讀。
I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely
beautiful
我讓他們拼字──definitely beautiful(x3)
over and over and over again until they will never misspell
一直重複直到不會拼錯
either one of those words again.
任何一個字為止。
I make them show all their work in math class.
我讓他們在數學課展示他們的作業。
And hide it on their final drafts in English.
再將那些藏進英文課的草稿堆。
I make them understand that if you got this (brains)
我讓他們懂得如果你有這個(指頭腦)
then you follow this (heart) and if someone ever tries to judge you
那你就傾聽這個(指心臟),如果有人敢試圖用你做的事情
by what you make, you give them this (the fist).
來評斷你,你就給他們這個(拳頭)。
Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true:
讓我分析給你聽,你才知道我說的是真的:
Teachers make a goddamn difference! What about you?
老師做的可是天殺的改變!那你呢?
Note:
1)
印象中在一本叫<莫非定律>的書中提到
H. L. Mencken's Law:
Those who can -- do.(會的人--做)
Those who can't -- teach.(不會做的--教)
上面是詩中提到的,
延伸還有:
Martin's Extension:
Those who cannot teach -- administrate.
(不會教的--管事)
2)
"definitely"和"beautiful" 是即使英文是母語的人也極常拼錯榜上有名的字!
3)
不同於台灣的甲乙丙丁,一般國外成績用ABCD當標準,上下則是+和-。
--
"留心的話,沒有什麼事是小事。"---易先生
--
※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc)
◆ From: 210.54.148.202
推 sea35: 08/12 19:09
推 searenata:definitely beautiful !!!! lol 08/13 08:48
推 cybaw:)) 08/13 19:15