精華區beta Eng-Class 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Sometimes learning English is like being processed in molds for advantages on exams rather than developing the ability to verbalize your creativity. You may be having a hard time sitting through all those tedious lectures at school or being engaged with all kinds of grammar rules and drills in your books. Though these experiences can hardly turn on any of your interest in learning English, they do come around as an inevitable maintenance before you are able to set out for all the fascinating tours in the language. Remember that studying English is an initually painstaking process with increasing excitement along that you will eventually get to revel in at some point. And if you are just starting, it becomes all the more important for you to build up quite a few good conceptions of grammar. I guess this is the reason they put a great deal of emphasis on teaching grammar in high school education, expecting the students to come to benefit from it, while in ignorance of how eagerly the young people are getting into all the coolest stuff in English with their minds constantly exposed to music like hip-hop or audiovisuals like Star Wars movies. Now I kinda want to talk about writing. Well, there should be an article by me a couple of weeks ago, but somehow it disappeared. :( Last time I mentioned three kinds of reference books that you can take advantage of when writing. But what if you couldn't get out any ideas that were worth you putting into words, especially words with a lot of attractions that could save your writing from being mocked as the diary of a six grader? The answer I've come up with is imitation. If you do have a good eye for weaving yarns, you're certain to put time and effort in hunting for good writings by the world's best storytellers, journalists, critics, or columnists. Publications like The Economist, TIME or The New York Times are often the stages for their masterful playing with words. (I'm telling you, I do have a small collection of a range of those gems in the English language, which you may look at with a jaundiced eye.) :P Imitation is also a good way to learn grammar. Actually any practice of writing and speaking can help develop the initiative that you need to go beyond being a mere receiver of other people's ideas and get to be an articulator of your own. Here I'm giving an example of imitation. I grabbed this sentence from The New York Times: Despite being perceived as cool, people of mixed races say they often function in a world where friends will eventually offend with a comment that overlooks a white mother or an Asian father, and where exotic is another word for "other." Now I can change a few words to renew it this way: Despite being perceived as happy-go-lucky, overweight people often function in a world where friends will eventually offend with a frown that overlooks a genetic disorder or a digestive malfunction, and where chubby is another word for "unhealthy." See? What a thing to have done! The two sentences look alike, with the same structure and a pretty good layout of priority. I like it. :) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 59.121.207.91
ycjjen: I like the "imitation" too. 141.156.160.71 05/10
smartia:Gee, i'm afraid of the word "painstakingly" 210.85.230.9 05/10
smartia:For me, lang. learning should always be fun 210.85.230.9 05/10
smartia:do you think kids learn the 1st language 210.85.230.9 05/10
smartia:painstakingly?^^" no offense, simply my 210.85.230.9 05/10
smartia:personal beliefs ^^ 210.85.230.9 05/10
smartia:NO PAIN NO GAIN is SOMETHIMES a myth. ^__^""y 210.85.230.9 05/10
YuanShan:The half-full think it's fun,while 140.114.216.32 05/10
YuanShan:The half-empty think a pain. 140.114.216.32 05/10
longing:你那篇好文應該是被收入精華區了 :) 218.165.123.69 05/11
longing:z-12-30 218.165.123.69 05/11
sovereignty:initially / I like your expression. It 202.129.242.19 05/11