精華區beta Eng-Class 關於我們 聯絡資訊
except (for) 1. except with or without for We use except (for) after general statements, especially after generalizing words like all, every, no, everything, anybody, nowhere, whole etc. He ate everything on his plate except (for) the beans. He ate the whole meal, except (for) the beans. 2. except for In other cases we usually use except for, not except. Compare: --I've cleaned all the rooms except (for) the bathroom. (Except is possible after all) I've cleaned the house except for the bathroom. ( NOT... except the bathroom.) --Nobody came except (for) John and Mary. (after nobody) Except for John and Mary, nobody came. (before nobody) -- You couldn't hear anything except (for) the noise of Louise typing. The house was quiet except for the noise of Louise typing. 3. except We use except, not except for, before prepositions and conjunctions. It's the same everywhere except in Scotland. (NOT...except for in Scotland) He's good-looking except when he smiles. 4. except (for) + pronoun After except (for) we use object pronouns, not subject pronouns. Everybody understands except me. We're all ready except her. 5. except + verb A verb form after except usually depends on what came before. Infinitives are normally without to. He does nothing except eat all day. (does...eat) She's not interested in anything except skiing. (interested in...skiing) 6. except and without Except (for) is only used to talk about exceptions to generalizations. In other cases, without or but for may be preferable. Compare: Nobody helped me except you. Without/But for your help, I would have failed. (NOT Except for your help, I would have failed.) -- 箴言16:3 你所做的,要交托耶和華, 你所謀的,就必成立。 --
Chengheong:Practical English Usage 02/05 13:22
Chengheong:Michael Swan 02/05 13:23
※ 編輯: Chengheong 來自: 118.169.227.75 (09/17 19:50)