精華區beta IA 關於我們 聯絡資訊
標題:Colin Powell endorses Obama 新聞來源: http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/1008/Colin_Powell_endorses_Obama.html (需有正確連結) 包威爾將軍接受msnbc的訪談: http://tinyurl.com/5t78pb Retired General Colin L. Powell, one of the country's most respected Republicans, stunned both parties on Sunday by strongly endorsing Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for president on NBC's "Meet the Press" and laying out a blistering, detailed critique of the modern GOP. Powell said the election of Obama would "electrify the world." "I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said. "He is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage and on the American stage. And for that reason, I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama." Powell, once considered likely to be the nation's first African-American presidential nominee, said his decision was not about race. Moderator Tom Brokaw said: "There will be some ... who will say this is an African-American, distinguished American supporting another African-American because of race." Powell replied: "If I had only had that in mind, I could have done this six, eight, 10 months ago. I really have been going back and forth between somebody I have the highest respect and regard for, John McCain and somebody I was getting to know, Barack Obama. And it was only in the last couple of months that I settled on this." "I can't deny that it will be a historic event when an African-American becomes president," Powell continued, speaking live in the studio. "And should that happen, all Americans should be proud — not just African-American, but all Americans — that we have reached this point in our national history where such a thing could happen. It would also not only electrify the country, but electrify the world." Powell, making his 30th appearance on "Meet the Press," led into his endorsement by saying: "We've got two individuals — either one of them could be a good president. But which is the president that we need now — which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time. "And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities — and you have to take that into account — as well as his substance — he has both style and substance, he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president." Powell, speaking live in the studio, told moderator Tom Brokaw that he is "troubled" by the direction of the Republican Party and said he began to doubt Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) when he chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. "She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired," he said. "But at the same, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made." The endorsement is likely to help Obama convince skeptical centrists that he is ready to handle the challenges of commander in chief, and undercuts McCain argument that he is better qualified on national-security issues. McCain, appearing on "Fox News Sunday," sought to minimize the endorsement by noting his support from other former secretaries of state and retired military flag officers. "It doesn’t come as a surprise," McCain said. "I'm very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state, well over 200 retired generals and admirals. I've admired and continue to respect Secretary Powell." Powell, 71, criticized McCain and his campaign for invoking the former domestic terrorist William Ayers. "They're trying to connect him to some kind of terrorist feelings, and I think that's inappropriate," Powell said. "Now I understand what politics is all about — I know how you can go after one another. And that's good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for. And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me. "And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift. I would have difficult with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration." Powell said he has "heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion [that Obama's] a Muslim and might be associated with terrorists." "This is not the way we should be doing it in America. I feel strongly about this particular point," Powell said. "We have got to stop polarizing ourselves in this way. And John McCain is as non-discriminatory as anyone I know. But I'm troubled about the fact that within the party, we have these kinds of expressions." Powell, a four-star Army general, was national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when George H.W. Bush was president; and President George W. Bush’ s first secretary of State, Powell has consulted with both Obama and McCain, and the general’s camp had indicated in the past that he would not endorse. Powell said that as he watched McCain, the Republican “was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems that we were having, and almost every day, there was a different approach to the problem, and that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had." Powell said a big job of the new president will be “conveying a new image of American leadership, a new image of America’s role in the world.” “I think what the president has to do is to start using the power of the Oval Office and the power of his personality to convince the American people and to convince the world that America is solid, America is going to move forward … restoring a sense of purpose,” he said. -- 洞庭閩水,更起高潮。天地為之昭蘇,奸邪為之辟易。咳!我們知道了! 我們覺醒了!天下者我們的天下。國家者我們的國家。社會者我們的社 會。我們不說,誰說?我們不幹,誰幹?刻不容緩的民眾大聯合,我們應 該積極進行! ~ 毛澤東 《民眾的大聯合》 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 122.127.70.207
hunmir:忍很久 10/19 21:55
Vicky1016:黑人大團結 10/19 22:01
hunmir:不是因為這個原因吧... 10/19 22:04
ncyc:我也不認為,不過很難防止有人會這樣想 10/19 22:05
McCain:共和黨重量級人士出來幫民主黨助選 這有沒有違反黨紀? 10/19 22:13
swallow73:不清楚,不過在美國黨紀約束的概念本來就沒有像台灣那樣 10/19 22:17
swallow73:強,議會裡頭黨籍議員跨越黨派界線投票應該也是很平常的 10/19 22:18
dblsesame:not surprising. black women chose race over 10/19 22:20
dblsesame:sisterhood. everyone half expected this to come. 10/19 22:22
swallow73:不好意思,英文程度不太好,請問樓上表達的是什麼意思? 10/19 22:22
dblsesame:民主黨初選的時候 Time有對black/female做調查 10/19 22:27
dblsesame:她們在Hillary和Obama之間如何取捨 很多人表示她們覺得 10/19 22:29
dblsesame:在她們的成長過程中race比gender帶來更多的injustice 10/19 22:32
POLITICO有比較完整的新聞稿出來了,修改一下.如果因此不慎修到推文,先在此道歉。 ※ 編輯: swallow73 來自: 122.127.70.207 (10/19 22:36)
dblsesame:同時GOP中的black leaders such as Powell and Rice 10/19 22:34
dblsesame:如何表態也一直是觀察的重點 10/19 22:35
swallow73:謝謝熱心解說,不過包威爾將軍的成長背景跟思考方式或許 10/19 22:36
swallow73:跟那些接受訪談的黑人女性有不盡相同之處. 10/19 22:37
※ 編輯: swallow73 來自: 122.127.70.207 (10/19 22:37)
ncyc:鮑威爾將軍是非洲移民後代,與黑奴後代之間有著代溝 10/19 22:38
ncyc:MRZ教授說過,歐巴馬是這兩派非裔人士的公約數 10/19 22:38