精華區beta MLB 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Five Questions: Oakland Athletics by Sal Baxamusa http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/five-questions-oakland-athletics3/ : It's a mis-named series, since I've only got four questions. Still, on behalf : of all Oakland partisans, I ask: 標題與內容不符:我(原作者)只有準備四個問題。 儘管如此,我還是要代表忠誠的綠帽迷問: 1. Who's going to be "your boy" this year? 今年你的男孩是誰啊? : Every year, I dub an Oakland Athletic "my boy." Whenever that player does : something good, I run around the house screaming like an idiot, "That's my : boy!" Past recipients of this dubious honor have been Bobby Crosby, Nick : Swisher, Chad Gaudin, and—most embarassingly—Esteban Loaiza. My track : record may not be great, but in sabermetrics it is the process that matters : more than the result. Soldier on, I must! 每年我都把一位綠帽球員冊封為"我的男孩",每當他有好表現的時候,我就會繞著我屋子邊 跑邊大叫,"我的男孩好棒!",像個蠢蛋一樣。過去幾年的獲獎名單有: Bobby Crosby、 Nick Swisher、Chad Gaudin,還有--最羞於啟齒的,Esteban Loaiza。我選人的眼光也許 不是那麼好,不過以數據派的觀點來看,過程比結果更重要。因此,我必須堅持下去! : This year, my boy is going to be Dallas Braden. Despite having been on the : radar seemingly forever, Braden is only 25 years old. Over the last two : years, he has struck out well over a batter per inning at Triple-A while : walking about 2.2 batters per nine. His stuff is dubious, except for a : mysterious screwball that he may or may not throw, but he deserves a shot at : the rotation. He'll likely get one this year, and while he's not an All-Star, : he could be worth up to two wins if he starts full-time. Getting that type of : production from your non-prospects means not having to overpay for a guy like : Oliver Perez. 今年,我的男孩將會是Dallas Braden。雖然Braden似乎永遠都很受矚目,他卻只有25歲。 過去兩個球季,他在3A球隊每局可以三振超過一個打者,BB/9是2.2。除了一顆他不知道會 譯註:過去兩年Braden在3A的K/9分別是10.4(07)跟9.1(08) 不會投的神秘螺旋球之外,他的球威令人質疑。儘管如此,他仍然能在輪值圈中佔有一席 之地,今年看起來蠻有機會的。如果他能夠整季出賽的話,雖然不會投出全星星級的表現 卻能讓球隊多贏兩場球(譯註:應是相較於replacement level而言)。能夠從不是期待新秀 的球員中獲得這樣的表現,代表球隊GM不用砸大錢去簽下Oliver Perez這種球員了。 2.Are the A's collecting the 2002 All-Star team? 綠帽在收集2002全星星公仔隊嗎? : If so, Jason Giambi and Nomar Garciaparra are a nice start. Oakland also made : an ultimately unsuccessful play for Randy Johnson. 如果是這樣的話,Jason Giambi跟Nomar Garciaparra是一個不錯的開始。同時,綠帽也有 在競逐Randy Johnson,只可惜最後失敗了。 : Remember when plugging holes with declining veterans was sabermetric : anathema? Times have changed. Three or four years ago, multi-year deals for a : guy like Jason Giambi would have been the norm. Think of the contracts that : Jay Payton and Kevin Millar got. One-year contracts mitigate a lot of the : risks involved with veteran gambits. 記住:如果想把年年走下坡的老將塞進球隊的缺口裡,只會帶來一場數據浩劫。 時代改變了。三四年前,跟Jason Giambi這種球員簽下長約根本就是天經地義。 想想Jay Payton跟Kevin Millar拿到的合約吧! 一年約大大降低了使用老將的風險。 : For the A's, Garciaparra is a non-Hannahanian hedge against the : never-quite-right Eric Chavez. Orlando Cabrera, while nothing special, won't : tilt the scales at zero wins above replacement, which once-and-future-MVP : Bobby Crosby is liable to do. The A's, hoping to compete this year while they : have Matt Holliday under contract, are doing the right thing. The downside is : that, come next offseason, the A's will again be scrambling for solutions on : the left side of the infield. 對綠帽來說,Garciaparra能讓反對Hannahan上場的人,除了"總是不太好"的Eric Chavez 之外有其他的選擇。Orlando Cabrera,儘管並不特別,卻不會像"前新人王"Bobby Crosby 一樣,成為球隊的拖油瓶。綠帽抓進了合約即將到期的Matt Holliday,希望今年能夠闖進 季後賽。依我看來,他們做的一點都沒錯。唯一的煩惱是,他們明年還是要尋找左外野的 答案。 3.Has Jason Giambi ever been to Oakland? 技安比曾到過奧克蘭嗎? : The Giambi signing makes a little less sense. Daric Barton isn't nearly the : hitter Giambi is, but there's a decently-sized defensive gap. I wasn't a fan : of the Giambi signing initially, considering it a lateral move at best, but : I'm starting to come around. A little time at Triple-A could do Barton some : good, and it's not likely that Giambi and Travis Buck are going to be healthy : all the time anyhow. Barton will get a chance to contribute this year, and : the Giambi signing is more about depth for the inevitable rash of injuries : than it is an end to Barton's Oakland career. 相較之下,簽下Giambi就顯得有些奇怪。Daric Barton在打擊上當然不能跟Giambi相提並 論,不過防守上他跟Giambi相比勝出不只一籌。我一開始並不太喜歡簽下技安,認為最多 只是個水平移動,談不上什麼大作用。不過我現在開始改觀了:在3A多待一下下,對於 Barton來說不是壞事,Giambi跟Buck也不可能整季都健康出賽。因此,Barton還是有機會 偷到一些上場時間,對球隊做出貢獻。綠帽簽下Giambi,並不代表Barton在綠帽的日子就 此終結,而是對於無可避免的傷病問題所採取加強深度的一著棋。 : And Giambi gets to follow in the footsteps of Mike Piazza and Frank Thomas, : two other late-career sluggers the A's signed in the past few years. But : Giambi is also very different than those two because of his previous history : in Oakland. He was the central figure on the early-decade Oakland : juggernauts. No Oakland fan will forget his walk-off homer against Mike : Stanton, capping a late-August sweep of the dreaded Yankees and putting the : exclamation mark on an 11-game winning streak. Giambi was supposed to the : lead the A's to the promised land, past the Yankees, and into the World : Series. Instead, he signed with the enemy. He went on Letterman and said bad : things about Oakland. He was booed mercilessly in Oakland. I was there. I : booed, too. Giambi追隨前輩Mike Piazza跟Frank Thomas的腳步,成為近年來在生涯末期加入綠帽的 第三位重砲。但是Giambi又跟前面兩位很不一樣,因為他是鳳還巢。在21世紀前幾年的 綠帽王朝中,Giambi扮演著不可或缺的重要角色。沒有綠帽迷會忘記他從Mike Stanton手 中擊出的再見全壘打,在八月下旬橫掃萬惡洋基,為綠帽11連勝譜上大大的驚嘆號。 Giambi本來應該帶領綠帽前往應許之地,跨過洋基打進世界大賽。相反地,他最後投奔敵 營,並且投書狂表綠帽。於是,他在奧克蘭被狂噓,我就在那裏,我也跟著噓。 : There's a certain bit of karmic retribution, then, to have Giambi come back : to Oakland, ringless as the day he left for New York. Get on the field and : earn your way back into my heart, G. Giambi必須經歷一段陣痛期,那些對他的批評。然後,就如同他指上無環出發前往紐約 的那一天一樣,他回來了。上場去贏回我的心吧! 大吉 4.Do the A's seriously think they can catch the Angels? 綠帽真以為自己能追上天使嗎? : They do, and they're not crazy to think so. The answer has little to do with : the individual team rosters. Excuse me for a minute while I totally geek out. 確實如此,同時他們的想法並不瘋狂。答案跟25人名單其實沒有太大關係。各位看倌 且容我慢慢道來。 : Teams have some level of true talent, and analysts try to determine what that : talent is. That true talent could be dynamic. That true talent might be : calculated exactly by BaseRuns and Pythagoras, or it might be hard to know : because a team has the clutchiest players who ever did clutch. It doesn't : really matter how a team wins game, as long as we recognize that some teams : are better at it than others. 每一隊都有他們各自的真本事,分析家試著把這些本領抓出來。但是球技是動態的。也許 我們可以用BaseRuns或是Pythagoras把球隊之間的強弱算出,不過如果一隊有著在關鍵時 刻就會爆發的所有球員,那麼分析就不準了。一旦我們體會到某些球隊真的很強之後, 他們到底是怎麼贏球,就沒有那麼重要了。 : When we look past the homers, the drama, and—yes—the fun, the baseball : season is just a collection of weighted coin tosses. In any given 162-game : trial, a 90-win team could win 90 times, and on average it will. But : sometimes it will win 95 or 100 games, or maybe only 85. If a 90-win team : wins only 85 games it doesn't mean that it is unlucky or unclutch. It just : is, and it's something that a lot of baseball fans have a hard time : accepting. By the same token, an inferior team—say, an 81-win team—can win : 90 games in a 162-game trial. 當我們忽略那些全壘打啊、劇場啊、還有--沒錯--所有有趣的東西時,棒球球季就只是 一連串丟擲硬幣結果再做加權的集合罷了。在所有162場比賽的嘗試裡,一支90勝的球隊可 能剛好贏90場,就跟平均一樣。不過有時候這支球隊也有可能贏到95~100場,或者是85場 如果一支90勝的球隊只有贏85場,這並不表示這支球隊帶衰,或者是關鍵時刻熄火。這只 是代表很多棒球迷無法接受這樣的事實。同樣地,一支比較差的球隊,比方說81勝吧, 也有可能贏到90勝。 : So, there's a possbility that a .500 team out-wins a .550 team over the : course of a season. How likely is it? I worked this problem out a few years : ago, and I'll spare you the details, but the answer is about 1-in-6. 所以,一支季初預測.500勝率的球隊最後戰績比季初預測.550勝率的球隊好也是有可能的 機率有多大呢?我幾年前有做過這樣的研究,省略掉細節,機率大約是1/6。 : Are the Angels a better team than the A's? Probably. How much? That's up for : debate. A reasonable estimate is that the A's are between four and six games : worse than their rivals to the north. In that case, the A's stand about a 30 : percent chance of winning the division. 猴子軍團有比綠帽更好嗎? 或許吧! 好多少? 這就有得吵了。一個合理的估計是綠帽預測 戰績大概比他們北方的敵人少了4~6場勝場。這樣的話,綠帽大約有30%的機會贏下分區。 : Maybe you think all the numbers make me a killjoy. I beg to differ. The : numbers show that, even when one team is clearly better, there's still a : pretty good chance that we get the unexpected result. When teams are within a : few games of each other, we've officially entered too-close-to-call : territory. And, to me at least, that's what makes it so much fun. 或許你覺得這些數字讓人十分掃興。讓我來澄清一下。數字顯示,即使是一支球隊明顯 比較好,仍然有相當高的機會產生讓人意想不到的結果。當兩支球隊實力只差幾場比賽 的時候,我們就正式進入了"膠著到難以判斷"的地步。至少,對我來說,這就是棒球迷人 之處。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.112.243.242
chrislux:聽起來今年綠帽大有可為? 03/21 16:28
wzbird:這裡的劇場也是指牛棚驚魂記嗎? 我以為這是日本人的用法 03/21 16:53
A1pha:轉錄至看板 Athletics 03/21 17:17
Sakar:推:這就是棒球的迷人之處~ 03/21 18:09
partty:推好文 03/21 18:47
A1pha:感謝翻譯 :D 03/21 19:27
kenny781558:猴子迷心聲:今年綠帽不容小覷 03/21 19:34
※ 編輯: YGJHSU 來自: 140.112.243.242 (03/21 19:41)
Levi:綠帽北方的敵人......應該只有水兵吧! XD 03/21 23:44
okinawa8:於是,他在奧克蘭被狂噓,我就在那裏,我也跟著噓。 XDD 03/22 01:39
ThomasHSNU:推 其實預測已經跟猴子差不多了..THT輸2場 PECOTA贏1場 03/22 01:59