精華區beta MLB 關於我們 聯絡資訊
原文:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/cal-ripken-jr-streak-orioles/ Looking back, the night I broke the consecutive games record unfolded in front of my eyes like a movie. For years, I didn’t want to see any of the replays of the game. I didn’t want to see any different angles. I just wanted to remember it through my own personal camera lens. 那個晚上,我打破最多連續出賽場次紀錄的那個晚上,直到現在仍然像一部電影般歷歷 在目。這些年來,我不想要觀看任何那場比賽的重播畫面,我不想從任何其他角度來 回顧它,我只想透過我自己的鏡頭來記憶。 The game became official when we were batting in the bottom of the fifth inning. At that point, everybody stood up and cheered. I acknowledged it as much as I could, but I started to get a little embarrassed the longer it went on. We were in the middle of the game, so I thought the interruption wasn’t fair to the pitchers and the other guys who were playing. After one of the curtain calls, when I tried to go back into the dugout, Rafael Palmeiro said, “Ok, you’re going to have to take a lap around this ballpark or we’ll never be able to start this game again.” 五局下半結束,那場比賽正式成立的那一刻,全場都起立歡呼了。我努力接受這個事實, 但是隨著時間過去,我卻越來越不敢接受。比賽還沒比完,因此這樣把比賽中斷對場上的 投手和其他球員都不公平。在一次的curtain call之後,我回到了休息區,Rafael Palmeiro說:”OK,你現在必須要繞場一圈致意,不然這場比賽大概永遠沒辦法繼續打下 去了。” I laughed it off, but when I walked back out of the dugout to wave again, he and Bobby Bonilla pushed me down the line. I figured, “Ok, let’s try this to see if we can get the game started.” Once I started down the line, though, the celebration became a lot more personal. I recognized all these people by face, recognized them by name. These figures who had been there for me since the beginning were here tonight to watch me play. By the time I got around the left field bleachers, it didn’t really matter to me whether the game would start again. 我笑了,不過當我走回休息區,他和Bobby Bonilla又把我推了回去。”好吧,我們來試 試看這樣可不可以讓比賽繼續下去”我想。但是當我開始沿著線邊走下去,這個只屬於我 個人的慶祝儀式又變本加厲了。我認得這些觀眾的臉,也知道他們的名字,這些人為了 見證我創造歷史,已經待在這個地方一整個晚上了。當我經過左外野觀眾席附近時,這場 比賽會不會繼續下去,對我來說似乎已經不重要了。 I remember my dad was in the skybox, and I looked at him a couple times and gave him a sign. I felt like I was expressing all these emotional things that were never really said growing up. There were a million emotions being shared between us through just a look. 我記得當時我爸在包廂裡,我朝他看了好幾眼並向他示意。我覺得我當時向他表達的情感 ,是我這一生都不曾向他訴說過的。在那一眼間,有上百萬的情緒在我倆之間傳達著。 I always say that catching the last out of the World Series was the best professional moment of my career and the night of 2,131 was the best human moment. 我總是說在世界大賽抓下最後一個出局數是我職業生涯中最棒的一刻,而2131那一晚是全 人類最棒的時刻(編按:原本的連續出賽紀錄是Lou Gehrig 的2130場,因此2131是指破紀 錄的那場比賽) It meant a lot to me that he was there because it all really started with my dad — baseball, the Orioles, everything. 這一刻對我來說意義重大,因為這一切都跟我爸有關—棒球,金鶯,一切的一切 My dad was involved with the organization his entire career. He didn’t get to fulfill his dream as a player in the big leagues — he got hurt in the minors — but he used his deep knowledge of the game to become a coach. And he was a great one. I remember a specific speech my dad used to give everybody during Spring Training. He would say, "Welcome to the greatest organization in baseball. If you make it through our Spring, you will play in the big leagues. Might not be with us, but you will play in the big leagues.” 我爸的整個生涯都與金鶯這支球團有關。他球員時期在小聯盟因傷所苦,因此他一直沒有 辦法完成上大聯盟打球的心願,但是他因為對於棒球有淵博的知識,所以成為了一位很棒 的教練。我記得在春訓的時候,他對球員說:”歡迎進入全棒球圈最棒的球隊。如果你在 春訓的表現夠好,你就可以在大聯盟打球,或許不是在這支球隊,但是你絕對可以在大 聯盟打球。” That’s what I grew up with. The Orioles were a well-respected, well-run organization. My dad felt a special pride in the team, so my entire family grew up with a special pride in it as well. When I entered the draft right out of high school, I got a lot of attention from other teams. There were a lot of scouts telling me that I was going to be the first overall pick, and the Orioles were drafting in the 20s. I had mentally prepared myself to go to another organization, but in the moment of truth, I really wanted to be drafted by the Orioles. When it actually ended up happening, I couldn’t have been happier. 這就是我的成長環境。金鶯是一支運作良好、受人景仰的球團。我爸對於身為這支球隊的 一份子感到光榮,而我的家人們也都能感受到這份榮耀。當我高中畢業參加選秀時,我 得到了許多球隊的注意,有許多球探都跟我說我會是選秀狀元的人選,而當年金鶯的選秀 順位是在第二十幾位。我當時對於我可能會被其他球隊選走已經做好心理準備了,但是我 還是很想很想被金鶯選走。當那一刻成真時,我開心到不能再開心了。(編按:1978年金鶯 選秀順位是第22位,而當時Cal Ripken Jr.是在第2輪第48位被金鶯選走) I got called up by the team for the first time in 1981, after the strike ended. We were playing against the Royals and Earl Weaver yelled for me to pinch-run for Singey (Ken Singleton) at second base. I ran out onto the field, and my adrenaline was just pumping like crazy. Wearing that Orioles uniform and walking onto the field at Memorial Stadium was a dream come true. I took a lead off and Royals second baseman Frank White tried to pick me off the very first play. I got back safely at second base. Frank caught the ball and tagged and said, “Just checking kid.” 1981年球員罷工結束後,我被叫上大聯盟了。在一場對上皇家的比賽中(編按:1981年8月 10日),總教練Earl Weaver派我代跑當時在二壘上的Ken Singleton。我上了場,我感覺 我的腎上腺素不斷湧出。穿著金鶯隊球衣,走到Memorial Stadium(編按:金鶯隊於 1954-1991年使用的主場)場中,我感覺我的夢想成真了。我在二壘時,皇家隊的二壘手 Frank White試圖牽制我,我回壘的時候他對我說: “這只是嚇嚇你的,小子” My career started with a bang. We were pretty good in my very first year. We made it to the brink of the playoffs and lost to the Milwaukee Brewers on the last day of the regular season. The next year, we learned from that and won the World Series. In ’84, we were still really good, but the Tigers were better — they started out that year 35-5. In '85 and ‘86, we were very competitive, but then we started to lose some talent. As the season progressed, we went into a major rebuilding mode. At the end of the '86 season, Earl stepped away from baseball and my dad got the opportunity to take over as manager of the Orioles. 我在大聯盟的第一個完整球季,我們球隊的戰績相當好,我們一直處在進軍季後賽的邊緣 ,直到例行賽最後一場輸給釀酒人為止。隔年我們記取教訓,並且成功贏了世界大賽。 1984年我們仍然相當不錯,但是當年老虎隊更強—他們開季的戰績是35勝5敗。1985,86年 ,我們還是具有一定的競爭力,但是也在慢慢走下坡。隨著球季進行,我們開始重建。86 年球季結束後,Earl離開了棒球圈,然後我爸得到了執掌兵符的機會。 We struggled through '87, my dad’s first year, and then went 0-6 to start '88. I didn’t think the slow start was the end of the world because we had been in a lot of those games and could easily have been 3-3 if we had gotten a couple of hits at the right time. But the talent just wasn't there. 1987年,我爸執掌兵符的第一個球季,我們打得並不理想,而1988年我們開季又是六連敗 。我不覺得這樣的開局是世界末日,我們還是打得不錯,如果我們多打幾支關鍵安打,搞 不好就可以變成3勝3敗了。但是我們就是沒那個本事。 I’ll never forget driving to the stadium and hearing on the radio that my dad had been fired. When I got there, Frank Robinson called me and Billy, my brother, who also was on the team at the time, and told us he had taken over as manager. We were both pretty angry because we thought dad had been betrayed. After all our family had given to the franchise, we felt like he had never really been given the opportunity to succeed. 我永遠不會忘記有一天當我開車要去球場時,我在廣播中聽到了我爸被炒魷魚了。當我到 球場時,Frank Robinson把我和我弟Billy叫了過去,然後告訴我們他要當教頭了。我們 當時非常生氣,我們覺得我爸被背叛了。我們全家人可說是把一切都給了這個球隊,但是 他卻從來沒有一個能夠成功的機會。 I really believe my dad’s firing threw the team into turmoil. We lost 15 more in a row and were getting national attention for all the wrong reasons. In hindsight, it was probably a good thing for the organization, because they had to face the reality of the state of the team. Still, that was the toughest stretch of my career. I was constantly part of trade rumors, and there seemed to be a new one every day. I was sure that would be my last year with the Orioles, and for the first time, I actually wanted to play somewhere else. 我非常確定我爸被炒魷魚這件事情帶給了球隊動盪不安。我們接下來連輸了15場比賽,我 們因為種種因素而受到了全國的注意。事後想想,這對這支球隊或許是件好事,因為他們 必須要正視這件事情。不過對當時的我來說,那段時間仍然是我生涯中最難熬的一段時光 。我一直深陷交易傳聞之中,每天都不斷有新的傳聞出現。我確定那會是我在金鶯的最後 一季,而那也是我第一次想要為其他人來打拚。 But as the season progressed, I started to play better, and the negative emotions died down. I began to consider things differently. Looking past the business decisions that were made, I realized that the Orioles were my home, and the only team I ever wanted to play for. I never looked back from there. 但是隨著球季進行,我打得越來越好,而負面情緒也隨之消失了。我開始用不同的角度看 待事物。看著過去發生過的事情,我了解到金鶯隊才是我的家,也是唯一一個我可以為它 打拚的球隊。 In 1989, I passed Steve Garvey and moved into third place with 1,208 consecutive games played. That was really the first time my streak started to get national attention. I tried not to think about it as much as possible. One of the ways I went about that was by intentionally trying not to learn much about Lou Gehrig. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading about the heroes of baseball’s past, but I never wanted to learn about Gehrig’s streak. It was almost a way of protecting myself — I assumed he was just playing and loved to play, so I never wanted to learn his motivations beyond that. I didn't think anything good could come from me trying to be someone else. My only job as a baseball player was to come to the ballpark ready to play, and if the manager thought I was one of the nine guys who could help the team win that day, he would put me in the lineup. I never told any of my managers, “I'm going after Gehrig’s record, so put me in the lineup.” I just wanted to play. 1989年,我連續出賽1208場,超過了Steve Garney成為排行榜上的第3名。從那時候開始, 我的紀錄受到了全國的注意。我努力不要去想這件事,其中一個方法就是不要去學 Lou Gehrig。我喜歡學習過去棒球史上的偉人,但我從來沒想過去學習關於Lou Gehrig 連續出賽的事情。我認為他只是喜歡打球,所以我從沒想過在他背後的動機。 我認為如果我試圖成為他人,那永遠不會有好事發生在我身上。身為一個棒球選手,我 的工作就是到球場去準備比賽,如果總教練認為我是可以幫助球隊贏球的九個人之一,那 他自然會把我放進先發名單中。我不會跟教練講說:”我想破紀錄,所以排我先發吧。” 我只會想著打球。 The only time the streak ever really weighed me down was when I was slumping or the team was slumping. If I was slumping, a whole bunch of critics would line up to call me selfish. It’s always hard to be in that position and think that maybe you’re hurting the team by staying in. Still, I had the philosophy that the selfish player is the one who, when things are going bad, takes himself out of the lineup. Selfish is when your team is facing the game’s best pitcher, and you’re 0-20, and you say, “Okay, somebody else go out and deal with this.” 當我的狀態不好或著球隊狀態不好時,這個紀錄就會成為負擔。如果我陷入低潮,那麼大 家就會說我自私。處在那個位置上是很艱難的,你會覺得你繼續待在先發名單中是傷害球 隊。不過我反而覺得真正自私的人,是在低潮的時候會要求教練把自己從先發名單中剔除 的球員。如果你的球隊對上的是敵隊最好的投手,而你最近20打數0安打,然後你說”會 有其他人跳出來的啦”,那才叫做自私。 I remember this one time in Boston, we played like 15 innings on a Saturday night and we had to come back for a Sunday day game. I remember feeling physically beaten down, and we were going to be facing Roger Clemens hours later. It was especially hard to hit against Roger during the day because he was tall enough that from the plate it looked like he was throwing it out of the crowd in center field. If it was light out, you didn’t really stand a chance of seeing the ball. I was already in a slump, and I remember thinking, “Man, it would be really easy just to say, ‘I’ve been playing all these games, somebody else go out and try to meet that challenge.’ ” That’s a cop-out, though, and it’s not how I was raised to approach the game or my life as a whole. 我記得有一次在波士頓,我們星期六晚上打了15局,隔天星期天是日場比賽。我當時感到 很疲倦,而且幾個小時之後我們就要對決Roger Clemens。對決Roger相當困難,因為他很 高,他投球時看起來就像從中外野觀眾席上的群眾當中投球一樣,如果當天他的狀況夠好 ,你根本沒有辦法看到球。當時我已經陷入低潮了,我記得我當時想著:”老兄,放輕鬆啦 ,你都打這麼多場了,要不然你叫其他人來打打看啊” 不過這當然只是個藉口,這絕對 不是幫助我度過那場比賽和人生的方法。 Around game 1,800, all the critics suddenly turned positive and said I had to break the record for the sake of baseball. That’s a lot of pressure, because I internalize a lot of stuff. I would go back and think about things, and there were a lot of times that I thought, Well, maybe it would be better if I take myself out of the lineup. Maybe it’s better if I look out for myself and handpick off days. I would always come to the same conclusion, though. Each day I came to the ballpark to meet a challenge, and whatever the challenge was, I was willing. Because I was willing and because I was durable, the managers kept scribbling me into the lineup. 大概在連續1800場出賽之後,所有評論突然都變正面了,大家都說為了棒球,我必須要破 這項紀錄。這是一股巨大的壓力,我的內心思考了許多事情。有很多時候我的確會這樣想 :”好吧,或許把我從先發名單中抽離就好了。我應該給自己放個幾天假。”不過我每次 這樣想完,後來我還是會到球場去準備,而且不管挑戰是甚麼,我都願意去接受。因為我 耐操而且願意接受挑戰,總教練每天都會把我放進先發名單中。 When I came within a full season of breaking the record, the pressure started to really build and continued to spike up until the last week or two before I broke it. Everybody was making preparations, and there was so much anticipation. It felt like there was a finish line. 當我進入了要破紀錄的那個球季,壓力不斷地增加,一直到破紀錄的前一個禮拜,或者說 是前兩場吧。大家都為此在準備,大家都在期待這件事。這感覺像是終於看到終點線一樣 Reflecting on it all these years later, I realize that the streak was never about the streak. It was about giving all I could for the team I loved. When the banners on the B&O Warehouse changed from 2,130 to 2,131, I could picture my whole career with the Orioles — my whole life with the Orioles, really. 重新回想那幾年,我了解到這個紀錄不僅僅是一項紀錄。它代表著我對這球隊的熱愛。當 B&O Warehouse 看板上的數字從2130變成2131,我可以想像我整個生涯都會待在金鶯隊 —我這一生都會跟金鶯有關,真的。 When I looked up and saw my dad in the skybox, I saw him delivering those Spring Training speeches when I was little. It felt like I was home. 當我抬頭看著在包廂中的爸爸,我彷彿又看到以前那個在春訓時對大家喊話的爸爸。 我想,這就是家吧。 ====== 第一次翻譯 哪裡翻的不好請見諒OAO 會翻譯這篇文是因為看到版上大大分享了Cal Ripken Jr.自願中斷紀錄的事蹟 又剛好在The Players' Tribute這個網站看到了他本人寫的這篇文 所以就分享給大家了 我很欣賞他在最後幾段中提到的 勇敢做自己 並且勇於接受挑戰 這樣的態度不僅僅適用於打球 更適用於做人處事的各種方面 然後要謝謝Jeter創了這個網站讓我們更認識球員 也謝謝版友之前分享這個網站的文章 讓這個網站能夠被更多台灣人知道 -- 這篇文章讓你覺得?════════════════════════ y + . .ˇ ˇ ˇˇ || c ﹀ ̄▽ ̄ ﹏≦b ︶ ̄y – ̄ a 新奇 溫馨 誇張 難過 實用 高興 無聊 生氣 t ═════════════════════════════════ ╯ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 61.228.171.126 ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/MLB/M.1442856846.A.4AA.html ※ 編輯: jefftie2000 (61.228.171.126), 09/22/2015 01:39:57
amyer: 09/22 01:44
jerryklu: Just checking 這句話應該是說"只是試探你一下"之類的 09/22 01:44
earnformoney: 推翻譯 09/22 02:04
TSbb: 09/22 02:07
EEERRIICC: 推! 09/22 02:14
kenny7998: 推翻譯,他的態度真的是很棒 09/22 02:52
mrkey: 以後大概不會有人連1000場都碰的到了 Rip真是敬業 09/22 03:23
MrNeverDie: 所以他度過那場比賽(對Roger)的方法是啥= = 09/22 06:08
我也不知道 那段我也看得霧煞煞OAO
mightymouse: Ripken,近代棒球最偉大球員,沒有之一 09/22 06:38
dufflin: 09/22 06:42
Biscuits2003: 這篇文為什麼沒有爆? 09/22 07:53
Greinke: 推! 09/22 08:05
eloveb: 推 09/22 08:57
mmchen: 推 09/22 09:01
MasterAsia: 推! 09/22 09:10
KAIS: 要連續出賽那麼久真的超難,身體跟意志力都必須非常強韌 09/22 09:42
uranusjr: "Lights out" 是片語, 不是沒燈光不可能打到球的意思 09/22 10:10
uranusjr: 不過整體翻得滿通順的, 慣用語多加強吧 09/22 10:11
uranusjr: 可以參考維基百科 http://d.pr/1254X 09/22 10:12
感謝修正
eon4: 翻成"嚇嚇你,小子"會不會比較好 09/22 12:29
好 就決定是這個了XD
MartinEden: 大推,一直以來最喜歡的球員!! 09/22 12:34
※ 編輯: jefftie2000 (140.112.25.99), 09/22/2015 12:51:46 ※ 編輯: jefftie2000 (140.112.25.99), 09/22/2015 12:56:13
udm: 推.所以他最後決定終止紀錄主動不出賽的原因是什麼?有後續嗎? 09/22 13:16
maxspeed150: 原因就是金鶯打得爛 他也打得爛 覺得他該把位置讓出 09/22 13:41
maxspeed150: 所以他就自請休息 09/22 13:42
az755181: 推~翻譯大辛苦了 09/22 15:36
estceque: 推翻譯 09/22 19:31
hahabis: 我心目中的神, 沒有之一 09/22 22:11
hahabis: 我完全無法理解, 為何連續出賽記錄會是最容易受傷的SS所 09/22 22:12
hahabis: 創造..除了神之外根本沒有其它方法可以解釋.. 09/22 22:12
sfater: 朝聖推 09/23 16:34