精華區beta MLB 關於我們 聯絡資訊
這篇應該不會舒服到任何一隊....舒服文現在很恐怖 來源: The New York Times 網址: http://tinyurl.com/y7k9wx47 A World Series Twist: First Loves Become the Enemy 世界大賽番外篇:當初戀變成敵人 HOUSTON — From the field here Thursday night, after a workout for his Los Angeles Dodgers, Andrew Friedman gestured to the seats behind third base. It was there, at a different Houston ballpark, where he once rooted for the Astros in the postseason. 星期四在太空人主場上,在躲人球員訓練熱身後,Andrew Friedman指著三壘後面的位置。 以前在那個位置,但在不同的太空人球場,Friedman也曾在季後賽為太空人加油過。 The day before, Jeff Luhnow had done the same thing at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Luhnow, who built the Houston Astros, pointed to the spot on the third-base loge level where he once cheered for the Dodgers in the playoffs. 一天前,Jeff Luhnow也在洛杉磯躲人主場做過同樣的事情。Luhnow,一手打造現在太空人 的陣容,也指著三壘特別座區域,那是他曾經替進季後賽為躲人加油的位置。 Friedman, who runs the Dodgers’ baseball operations, grew up an Astros fan. Luhnow, who does the same for the Astros, grew up a Dodgers fan. Now their teams are meeting in the World Series, with the Astros striving to bring the first title in franchise history to a region recovering from Hurricane Harvey. Friedman現在負責躲人球隊的營運,從小是太空人粉。Luhnow,現在是為太空人做一樣的 工作,小時候是躲人粉。現在他們兩個的球隊在世界大賽碰頭,而太空人努力想拿下球隊 成軍以來第一個世界大賽冠軍給休士頓這個剛從颶風Harvey破壞後復甦的城市。 “I think for any city that hasn’t yet experienced it, it would be significant,” said Friedman, 40, who was born in Houston and attended nearby Episcopal High School. “Obviously, with what the city went through recently, it would be very significant. But I’m hoping that the American League championship will suffice.” 「我認為對任何一個還沒拿到世界大賽冠軍的城市,那會很有意義,」40歲的Friedman 說,他在休士頓出生,念休士頓附近的中學。「顯然,看到這城市最近遭受的天災,拿到 冠軍會非常有意義。但是,我還是希望美聯冠軍就會滿足他們。」 Luhnow, 50, was born in Mexico City, where his parents ran a publishing business. He spent his last two years of high school at the Webb School of California in Claremont, near Los Angeles, but was already smitten with the Dodgers by then. Luhnow,50歲,在墨西哥城出生,他的父母從事印刷業。他高中的最後兩年在洛杉磯旁 Claremont的高中念,但是在那之前他已經是躲人粉。 His parents were from New York and rooted for the Yankees, as did Luhnow’s older brother, Chris, who told him they could not root for the same team. Luhnow picked the Dodgers, one of the more successful teams of the 1970s. 他的父母來自紐約,是洋基粉,Luhnow的哥哥也是洋基粉,但是Luhnow的哥哥說他們兩個 不能支持同一隊。所以,Luhnow選擇了在70年代也是很猛的躲人。 “I watched them on TV — sunshine, L.A., the beach, a likable team, I liked the colors, all that,” he said. “So they became my team.” 「我在電視上看到他們-陽光,洛杉磯,海灘,令人喜愛的隊伍,我喜歡的顏色,所有的一 切,」他說。「所以我變成躲人粉。」 When Luhnow was 14, in 1981, Fernando Valenzuela profoundly jolted the franchise. Valenzuela, a pudgy prodigy from Navojoa, Mexico, opened the season by going 8-0 in eight starts and working nine innings every time. He ended that year with nine more innings against the Yankees to win Game 3 of the World Series, helping the Dodgers to a championship. 1981年,Luhnow 14歲,投手Fernando Valenzuela徹底的震驚了躲人。Valenzuela來自墨 西哥的Navojoa,是個身材矮短但是是投球大物,開季戰績是8-0,而且都是投滿九局。那 一年球季末,他對洋基投世界大賽第三戰,投滿九局,幫助躲人拿下世界大賽冠軍。 Luhnow had found his favorite player. Luhnow終於找到他最愛的球員。 “He just didn’t look like a prototypical athlete,” he said. “He physically didn’t look like he was in that great shape, his delivery was so unusual, and he looked like a guy that grew up in rural Mexico and was suddenly on the largest stage in the world and dominating in an unusual way that no one could figure out — the screwball, the eyes rolling back and all the things that he did. He was a lovable player.” 「他一點也不像典型的運動員,」他說。「他體型上看起來不像維持的很好,但是他投的 很不尋常,他看起來就像個在墨西哥鄉村長大的傢伙忽然站上世界最大的舞台然後用他沒 有人搞得懂的方式征服了所有人--螺旋球,翻白眼還有他做的所有事等等。他就是個惹人 愛的球員。」 Decades later, Luhnow would also defy convention to make it in baseball, using a business background and a strong belief in analytics to grow a thriving farm system for the St. Louis Cardinals — and, since December 2011, to patiently build the Astros into winners. When he moved to California for high school, though, that was too far-off to imagine. Luhnow just wanted to go to Dodger Stadium. 十幾年後,Luhnow也拒絕用傳統方式打造球隊,他改用有經營背景的人,堅信用數字分 析,幫紅雀打造了一個生機蓬勃的農場--而在2011年12月後,他耐心的把太空人打造成冠 軍隊伍。當他高中搬到洛杉磯上高中的時候,那實在很難想像他現在的樣子,那時的他只 想去道奇球場。 “I came to a ton of games,” he said. “My English teacher had season tickets, right up there in the loge level. I would come every time he would invite me, which was quite a bit.” 「我去了很多到道奇的比賽,」他說。「我的英文老師有季票,就在特別座的位置。每次 若是他邀我的話,我一定去;那實在很多場。」 Luhnow was there for the first two games of the 1983 National League Championship Series against the Philadelphia Phillies — a loss in the opener and a victory by Valenzuela in Game 2. The Phillies won the best-of-five series in four and the Dodgers would not reach the World Series until 1988, after Luhnow had left California to continue his education, eventually earning an M.B.A. from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern. Luhnow在1983年躲人跟費城人打國聯冠軍賽時,他去看了前兩場--開幕戰輸掉,但是第二 戰在Valenzuela帶領下拿下勝利。之後費城人在五戰三勝制下拿下國聯冠軍,躲人直到 1988才進到世界大賽,那時Luhnow已經離開加州去念書,最後在西北大學拿到MBA學位。 Friedman could relate to the World Series near miss. In 1986, just before he turned 10 (and before the Astros changed leagues), he attended the N.L.C.S. at the Astrodome. Friedman saw the Mets beat the Astros’ Nolan Ryan in Game 2, but the game that haunts him came a few days later. Friedman也差一點可以打到世界大賽扯上邊。1986年,當他快十歲時(那時太空人還是國 聯),他去太空人球場看國聯冠軍賽。第二戰,Friedman看到梅子打敗Nolan Ryan,而下 場隔幾天後的比賽才是真正縈繞著他。 That was the infamous — or celebrated — Game 6, which the Mets tied with three runs in the ninth. The Mets scored again in the 14th before the Astros, who were facing elimination, tied it on a Billy Hatcher homer. The Mets scored three in the 16th, gave up two in the bottom of the inning, but finally won the pennant — and avoided facing the unhittable Mike Scott in Game 7. 那場著名的第六戰,梅子在第九局拿三分追平,在14局先得分,太空人面臨要輸掉國聯冠 軍系列戰的關頭,在14局下Billy Hatcher用全壘打追平。梅子在16局上又得三分,16局下 太空人又得了兩分,但是梅子最後贏球--避免了需要打第七戰,面對太空人投手Mike Scott。 “I was heartbroken — I swore off baseball,” said Friedman, who had witnessed Scott’s division-clinching no-hitter that September. He added that ‘‘ ’86 scarred me some — I remember watching the World Series with the Mets and Red Sox, and it was painful.” 「我的心碎了一地--我發誓不再看棒球,」Friedman說,他在九月看到Mike Scott在分區 賽投出無安打帶領太空進軍NLCS。他說,「86年那場比賽傷我很深--我記得在世界大賽看 紅襪跟梅子打,我的心好痛。」 Of course, Friedman did not really give up the game. As the years went on, he would visit the Astrodome so frequently — about 30 times a summer, he guessed — that he befriended the stadium workers and could roam almost anywhere he pleased. 當然,Friedman沒有戒掉棒球。幾年過去了,他還是很常去太空人球場看球--他估計他一 個夏天大概去了30+場--他如此常去,甚至跟球場工作人員成為朋友,基本上他如果想要, 他可以去球場的任何一個地方晃蕩。 Long before clubs stamped game-used items with holograms and sold them at the team store, Friedman would often go home with broken bats or discarded equipment. He once scored an artifact from the early career of a future Hall of Famer. 在球團開始在球隊專賣店賣球員使用過的物品之前,Friedman常常可以把打斷的棒子或是 不要的器械帶回家。他還曾經拿到後來成為名人堂選手的用品。 “Probably a Craig Biggio helmet from when he was catching,” Friedman said, when asked for the prize of his collection. “It had a crack in it, and I don ’t really remember how I got it — but probably someone that wasn’t him just saw me there hanging out.” 「大概是Craig Biggio當捕手的時候的帽子,」當Friedman被問到他的收藏時候說。「那 帽子上有裂縫,我忘記我是怎麼拿到那頂帽子的--大概是某人(不是Biggio)看我在那邊晃 來晃去就給我了。」 Friedman would play baseball at Tulane and, like Luhnow, work in business before joining a major league front office. He built the Tampa Bay Rays into pennant winners in 2008, and has been the Dodgers’ president of baseball operations for three years. Friedman在大學也有打棒球,也跟Luhnow一樣,先在生意圈工作了一陣子才加入MLB的制服 組。他打造Tampa Rays,拿下2008分區冠軍,目前做躲人營運長已經三年。 In their jobs now, Luhnow and Friedman regularly meet their old heroes. Friedman said he had put his fandom long behind, and was not awe-struck when he met Biggio a few years ago. Luhnow, though, has never quite summoned the courage to have a conversation with Valenzuela, who now broadcasts Dodgers games in Spanish and tossed the ceremonial first pitch before Game 2. 他們目前的工作都會讓他們常會碰到以前的明星球員。Friedman說他早已經把他以前瘋狂 粉絲夢放在腦後了,所以當他幾年前碰到Biggio的時候,沒有變成尖叫的粉絲。然而, Luhnow卻沒有勇氣去跟Valenzuela講話,Valenzuela現在負責躲人的西班牙語球評,也在 今年第二戰開球。 Luhnow said he got chills watching that ceremony. He has said hello to his baseball idol, but only casually. Yet Valenzuela is well aware of his work. Luhnow說他光看Valenzuela開球就已經起雞皮疙瘩了,他只跟Valenzuela禮貌的說聲 "Hello",但是Valenzuela倒是很瞭Luhnow。 “I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting him, but I would congratulate him on where his team has gotten,” Valenzuela said in Spanish. “His team has reached the World Series, which is what you want.” 「我沒有那個榮幸跟他碰到面,但是我要恭喜他,恭喜他的球隊打到這裡,」Valenzuela 用西班牙語說。「他的球隊晉級世界大賽,那是他想要的。」 Actually, both of Luhnow’s teams — his employer and his first love — have reached the World Series. Both of Friedman’s, too. 事實上,兩個Luhnow的球隊--雇用他的跟他的初戀隊伍--都晉級世界大賽;而Friedman的 兩個隊伍也是一樣。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 140.136.12.211 ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/MLB/M.1509334588.A.437.html
cc9i: 躲人現在已經差不多是新的邪惡帝國了 10/30 11:50
hassanstar: 為什麼他們不交換XD 10/30 12:04
那就是初戀情人再次重逢 應該會很有趣吧? ※ 編輯: pneumo (140.136.12.211), 10/30/2017 12:06:56
Carpro0329: 兩個總管互相曾是對方的粉絲 確實有趣 10/30 15:51
jokertai: 好文 10/30 18:21
※ 編輯: pneumo (124.218.53.71), 10/30/2017 19:16:07
athena8855: 推好文 10/30 19:39
lp0910516516: 推 好有趣 11/03 11:29