精華區beta NBA 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Kings' Peja Crowned Shootout Champion PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 9 (Ticker) -- Chuck Daly was right. Americans better start practicing their shooting. Yugoslavia's Peja Stojakovic gunned down a game Wesley Person in overtime of the 1 800 CALL ATT Shootout, becoming the first foreigner to win the All-Star Weekend event and staking his claim to the unofficial title of best shooter in the NBA. That was evident Saturday night as Stojakovic and Canada's Steve Nash advanced to the final, while five Americans were eliminated in the first round, including defending champion Ray Allen of the Milwaukee Bucks. "I finished second last year and I got another shot," Stojakovic said. "It actually paid off." It marked the second straight year that a pair of foreigners reached the final round. Last year, it was Stojakovic and Dirk Nowitzki of Germany. "I don't know. You should tell me (what it means)," Stojakovic said. "You go back and tell me what people think about it. I just came over here. I didn't think about winning the 3-point contest. I just came over here to have a good time." Stojakovic was edged out by Allen last year but would not be denied this year. In the final round, he made nine of his last 10 shots and posted a score of 19. But Person, a guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, tied him, forcing a 24-second mini-round. A 45 percent shooter from the arc, Stojakovic got up 12 shots, making seven for nine points. Person shot 11 times, making four for five points. "I'm pleased with the way I shot the ball tonight," Person said. "He made a couple more shots than I did. Got to give him credit." Nash had been eliminated, but just barely. The All-Star point guard of the Dallas Mavericks scored 18 in the final round after surviving the opening round. Some of the Americans were awful. League 3-point percentage leader Steve Smith of the San Antonio Spurs missed 10 straight shots at one point and managed a total of eight. Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce sported shiny green sneakers but they did not help him as he also had eight. Stojakovic and Person were the first two shooters and provided a preview of what was to come. Stojakovic opened with 20 points and Person threw in 21. Allen went last in the first round and needed to beat Nash's total of 15. He made seven in a row during one stretch but finished poorly and came up a point short. "They are great shooters," Stojakovic said. "I was lucky that I went first. I was still warm from the warm-up." FIRST ROUND (Top three advance) Wesley Person, Cleveland, 21 points Predrag Stojakovic, Sacramento, 20 points Steve Nash, Dallas, 15 points Quentin Richardson, Los Angeles Clippers, 14 points Ray Allen, Milwaukee, 14 points Mike Miller, Orlando, 10 points Paul Pierce, Boston, 8 points Steve Smith, San Antonio, 8 points FINALS X-Predrag Stojakovic, Sacramento, 19 points Wesley Person, Cleveland, 19 points Steve Nash, Dallas, 18 points X-Stojakovic defeats Person, 9-5, in overtime