精華區beta NY-Yankees 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Newsday.com Ichiro-Hargrove feud may benefit Yanks November 20, 2005 The Yankees recently inquired about the availability of Ichiro Suzuki but were told by Mariners ownership they will not trade him. While the Yankees previously were steadfast in their refusal to part with their dual desirables, Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang, they viewed Ichiro as the perfect answer to their gaping centerfield hole. "Whatever it takes" is basically their standing offer for Ichiro in hopes that his feud with manager Mike Hargrove could be impetus to a trade. Ichiro recently went on a public diatribe about Mariners problems, and although he didn't name names, he is unhappy with both Hargrove and GM Bill Bavasi (Newsday has learned that Hargrove and Bavasi recently proposed trading Ichiro and that Ichiro suggested Hargrove's firing, which should make for an uncomfortable spring reunion). The Yankees also inquired about bringing back Alfonso Soriano to play center but were unwilling to trade Cano and/or Wang (Texas could have had Cano as the throw-in in the A-Rod trade). The Marlins requested the same two players for Juan Pierre, whom Yankees reports suggest regressed last season, anyway. GM Brian Cashman started strong with two brilliant free-agent deals - his own, then Hideki Matsui's - before hitting that same hurdle that has stopped the Yankees before. It'll never be like the dark days of the early '90s again, but many ballplayers fear New York, preferring smaller cities, warmer weather, lower prices, less taxes and no pressure. Brian Giles, who's avoided New York forever with no-trade contract stipulations, is said to be "playing phone tag" with Joe Torre - a very bad sign - after the Yankees floated $33 million for three years. Giles is a West Coast guy, but if he ventures east of the Rockies, he'll likely go to St. Louis. That's really no great loss, as one AL scout said, "He's no centerfielder." The Yankees finally broke down and called agent Scott Boras about Johnny Damon, and as Newsday reported, Boras seeks $84 million and seven years. The Yankees like Damon, but for four years and at half that price. Cashman is said to be "dead set against" the volatile Milton Bradley. And with Cashman's newfound power holding through three weeks, Bradley appears out, too. The bullpen isn't exactly falling into place, either. Scott Eyre rejected the Yankees for the Cubs, even Jose Mesa turned up his nose, and Yankees people aren't confident they can lure Bobby Howry or Kyle Farnsworth, either. They offered Tom Gordon two years for $10 million to return, but he's saying he wants three years, and he might want it elsewhere, anyway. While B.J. Ryan's agent tells the Yankees they're alive, Ryan is telling folks he wants to close (and he doesn't love Lee Mazzilli). No wonder the Yankees have begun moving to the second tier: Julian Tavarez, Ricardo Rincon, Joey Eischen and Mike Myers. Cashman began big with his best free-agent deal to date . . . yes, his own three-year, $5.4-million contract, the very deal that so upset Bud Selig (though as one agent pointed out, "What's he talking about? Bud makes $6 million."). Anyway, Cashman topped himself with the four-year, $52-million deal for Matsui, an absolute steal for a player who provides 100-plus RBIs and great global marketing. As one club exec said, "We make money on him." And one agent said, "That's the best contract from a management standpoint anyone will sign this winter." If they do nothing else, looks as if George Steinbrenner got revenge on reviled agent Arn Tellem for sticking him with Jason Giambi's $120-million deal (and the needles that came with him). -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 68.126.198.185 ※ 編輯: epipole 來自: 68.126.198.185 (11/21 12:10)
y2jj:喔喔 過來吧過來吧.... 11/22 16:44