作者pleased ()
站內NY-Yankees
標題[新聞] Mientkiewicz Faces Surgery And Hopes for a July Return
時間Sat Jun 9 11:39:00 2007
Mientkiewicz Faces Surgery And Hopes for a July Return
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/sports/baseball/09pins.html
Doug Mientkiewicz, the injured first baseman, showed up in the Yankees』
clubhouse yesterday afternoon with a cast on his right wrist and a hopeful
sound in his voice. He said he would have surgery in New York on Tuesday to
put a pin in his wrist to repair a broken bone.
He said he wanted to return by late July or, at the latest, Aug. 1. Until
then, he said, he will try not to bother his family too much with his
anxiety. 「I love playing the game,」 Mientkiewicz said before the Yankees'
game with Pittsburgh. 「I hate watching it.」
He said the pin would help him heal more quickly and that he hoped to train
soon at the team compound in Tampa, Fla. 「I'll be a homeless single father
if I have to wait 12 weeks in a cast,」 Mientkiewicz said.
He said he and Jason Giambi, another injured Yankee, had been watching recent
road games on television and sending each other text messages. 「Two old men
in a convalescent home, trying to kill time,」 Mientkiewicz said. 「It's gut
wrenching. The game looks a lot easier from your couch.」
Mientkiewicz was injured last Saturday afternoon in Boston in a collision
with Mike Lowell of the Red Sox. When Mientkiewicz leaned back to catch a
bouncing throw, Lowell, the batter, ran into him, with Lowell's leg hitting
Mientkiewicz's head.
Along with the broken wrist, Mientkiewicz sustained a concussion, a sprained
neck and a sore back.
「I still have moments when I'm dizzy, when I don't feel so good,」
Mientkiewicz said. 「The neck and the back are the least of my worries. The
wrist is a little disconcerting.」
He said he was not certain, but he thought he might have injured the wrist
three innings before the collision, when sliding into second base. But he
continued to play.
After the collision, Mientkiewicz remained on the field for several minutes
while trainers treated him. He was then removed from the field on a cart as
Boston fans cheered him. He used to play for the Red Sox and said he was
thankful for the ovation, although, because his head hurt, the sound was
painful.
That is when he realized that more than his head hurt. 「As the cobwebs
started floating away, I realized my wrist really hurt,」 Mientkiewicz said.
The first person to call him in Massachusetts General Hospital, Mientkiewicz
said, was Lowell.
They know each other from high school in Florida. 「Mike and I go way back,
class guy,」 Mientkiewicz said. 「Class guy. There's no way he could have
avoided me. The only thing I could have hoped for is that he'd be a step
faster than he was.」
They work out together in the winter and Mientkiewicz said he had a plan. 「
Maybe we'll work out this off-season on getting him a half-step faster,」
Mientkiewicz said. 「That way, he doesn't kill somebody else.」 Turning
serious, he added: 「Mike's a good friend of mine. There's no ill feelings.」
In the clubhouse Friday, Mientkiewicz greeted several teammates, including
Andy Pettitte, the starting pitcher. The Yankees were on a three-game winning
streak and had won six of their previous eight games, one of their best
stretches of a troubled season.
「I was scared to come in the clubhouse today,」 Mientkiewicz said. 「I
didn't want to screw anything up. I don't want to get in anybody's way or
disrupt the vibe.」
UNHAPPY MUSSINA
Mike Mussina was not happy about being removed from Thursday
night's game in Chicago, but Manager Joe Torre said last night that they had
not yet discussed the situation. Mussina did not get the decision (Scott
Proctor did) in the Yankees' 10-3 victory against the White Sox. Mussina's
record remains 2-3.
「Somebody has to make decisions here,」 Torre said. 「Mike and I have been
around a long time together. I'm sure we'll get around to talking about it.
You know, I don't think it's necessary. Not that I'm staying away from him.」
Torre added that with Thursday night's travel, 「We really haven't come
together yet.」
Mussina had allowed two hits in six shutout innings before an infield single
and another single put runners on first and third with no outs in the
seventh. After throwing only 79 pitches, Mussina was replaced by the
left-hander Mike Myers, who came in to face the left-handed-batting A. J.
Pierzynski, who singled to tie the score, 1-1.
「Why am I upset?」 Mussina said after Thursday's game. 「Because I threw 80
pitches and I think I could have thrown 110. It was the first mess I had. I
just felt like I could have kept going.」
Torre said: 「Pitch count didn't enter into it. It was more strategy. I was
looking more for a strikeout. That's how much I know. A base hit to right
field.」
RODRIGUEZ REMAINS IN ADS
The Boys & Girls Clubs of America, in response to a
published report that the organization was pulling television advertisements
featuring Alex Rodriguez because of concerns about his off-field behavior,
said in a statement yesterday that it would continue to run the ads.
「A recent statement regarding ads featuring Alex was inaccurate,」 Evan
McElroy, the Boys & Girls Clubs of America senior vice president of
communications, said in written statement. 「We regret any misunderstandings
that have occurred as a result of this statement. Major League Baseball
continues to run these spots as part of their campaign in support of Boys &
Girls Clubs.」
In a telephone interview, McElroy said, 「Someone misspoke; it was inaccurate
and we regret it.」 He said the organization never considered pulling the
advertisements.
--
※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc)
◆ From: 61.224.230.67
推 mithralin:阿明撞到要開刀?!(傻眼中) 06/09 11:40
推 jom217:穆帥很不爽唷~~~是說~~還好後來天天P有守住~~下次加油吧 06/09 11:43
推 Quintina:可以來個快速翻譯嗎 感恩哩<(_ _)>!! 06/09 11:45
推 jom217:好好笑~兩個老男人在復健中心看電視殺時間~~~呵呵 06/09 11:50
推 soso1:3樓為什麼讓我想到記者...... 06/09 11:54
推 lwghost:穆帥別難過,今天派派撐到八局還是沒拿到勝投...囧 06/09 11:58
推 royechen:小明要開刀.....撞的如此嚴重... 06/09 12:19