精華區beta NY-Yankees 關於我們 聯絡資訊
來源 http://0rz.tw/082Te The All-Star Game is history and the Yankees have been on a roll ever since. What's the difference? Ask Derek Jeter and he'll tell you timely hitting, good pitching, solid defense -- all the good things championship teams are made of. Of course, maybe it has just a little something to do with the Yankees' current schedule -- they won't face a team with a plus .500 record until Aug. 10, making this a prime time to fatten up their record. Can they keep it going? Well, that's why we watch. On to this round of Yankees mailbag questions ... Honestly, what do you think the chances are that the Yankees have a great second half and end up getting the Wild Card? -- Joseph J., Fort Lee, N.J. If you talk to people in the Yankees' clubhouse, they're not even ruling out the division. Yes, it's an uphill climb, and yes, the Yankees have had to arch their collective necks at a pretty hard angle to keep an eye on the Red Sox for most of the season. That being said, it's not impossible to imagine the Yankees closing the gap and finishing with a victory total in the mid-90s. Sure, they have to keep a positive mindset to play competitively, but is it realistic? Well, let's just say the odds are against it -- not to say it couldn't happen, but that the probability is lower than any Yankees fan would want it to be at this point in the season. There are a few respected algorithms out on the Internet that quantify such things; after the Yankees completed their series against the Devil Rays on Sunday, a random sample of such sites showed the Yankees with about a 19-20 percent chance of making the playoffs, with about a four to six percent chance of winning the American League East. A 1-in-5 chance of October baseball at Yankee Stadium sounds fair after the deep hole the Yankees dug themselves. With Johnny Damon struggling to hit the ball even a reasonable distance into the outfield right now, would it be wise for the Yankees to move Melky Cabrera up to the leadoff spot and put Damon in the No. 9 position? Having Cabrera at the bottom of the order is like having two leadoff men in a row anyway -- why not put the better hitter (right now) at the top to start games? -- Becky S., Des Moines, Iowa There's no question that Cabrera is capable of filling the duties of a leadoff hitter. You've seen manager Joe Torre go to Cabrera more than a few times this season batting first, but Torre seems to value Damon's experience there as a table-setter. During Damon's recent skid, Torre defended the idea of putting him in the leadoff spot by saying that he knows Damon is a better hitter than he was showing (Damon was hitless on the homestand at the point he said that, so you would hope so) and that even when Damon isn't getting hits, he's very capable of working a walk and being distracting on the bases. With every game counting for the Yankees down the stretch, lineup shuffles aren't a foreign idea -- they're not afraid to try new things, which is one reason you've seen Shelley Duncan have a few glory days. Putting Cabrera more consistently in the leadoff spot could make sense given the right conditions. Kei Igawa has been a bust this year so far. I don't understand how he fared so well in Japan. Would it be beneficial to him to send him down to the Minors for at least a year, so that he can work on his mechanics and try to straighten things out? -- Chris P., Poughkeepsie, N.Y. They've already tried shipping Igawa all the way down to Class A Tampa to reconstruct his delivery, and whatever returns were produced by that have been negligible to this point. Igawa is a curious case, and though he insists on a hearty cardio regimen before each start, I can't imagine that it helps his stamina deep in games. That's not his only issue, but it's indicative of the adjustments he needs to make. It's worth noting that his best appearance in a Yankees uniform came in relief after Jeff Karstens broke his leg on April 28, pitching six shutout innings against the Red Sox. It's not unreasonable to speculate that he over-thinks his starts. I haven't heard a thing about Doug Mientkiewicz's injury. Do you have any updates on that? He is definitely missed on defense. -- Patrick O., Hornell, N.Y. But maybe not so much on offense, given Andy Phillips' surge and solidification of the position. In fact, Phillips has done so much lately that insiders question if a trade for a big bat (see Texas' Mark Teixeira) would be advisable, considering the Yankees' state and the likely high price such a deal would have. To answer the Mientkiewicz question, it turns out that he is a little farther behind than he'd told us when he left New York -- wishful thinking, maybe. General manager Brian Cashman said Mientkiewicz's target date is mid-August, which is about two weeks behind Jason Giambi's. With Igawa not impressing, I'm wondering about the lack of news on the progress of Phil Hughes, Karstens and Darrell Rasner in returning from injuries. Is there any chance of any of them (or anyone else on the farm) helping soon? -- Barry B., Millburn, N.J. There sure is. Hughes is set to make his third rehab start from a strained left hamstring and sprained left ankle on July 23 for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, with a target of 75 pitches. Cashman said the Yankees do not plan to consider promoting Hughes after that start given his relatively low and progressing pitch count, so early August could be a target for Hughes to shoot for. Karstens pitched six strong innings on Sunday for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, allowing a run (a solo homer) and three hits while walking one and striking out six. Torre has said that Karstens could be used down the stretch either in relief or as a starter, the roles he was set to fill coming out of Spring Training before injuries derailed him. Rasner is probably the farthest back of those three, only because he couldn't continue throwing with a broken finger. He has reported to the Yankees' complex in Tampa, Fla., and the club is still hopeful he can contribute this season. Sorry, we're out of space for this edition, but I wanted to answer a few other common questions sent in recently: No date has been yet set for 2008 All-Star Game or Home Run Derby ticket distribution or sales. Please keep checking MLB.com for that information. ... Robinson Cano is likely to stay with uniform No. 24. He wears it to honor Jackie Robinson (42 reversed). ... Bernie Williams is not being considered to join the team for the stretch drive; he's not thought to be in baseball condition and is likely to sit out all of 2007, at the least. ... Prospect J. Brent Cox had season-ending elbow surgery at the end of March. ... Mike Mussina did not ask for Wil Nieves as a personal catcher. Torre thought it might help Mussina and it seemed to for a period. Mussina and Jorge Posada will reunite with Nieves' designation for assignment. Thanks for all the notes and hope to hear from you next time! Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 125.228.38.217