精華區beta NY-Yankees 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Yankees get opportunity to eyeball relievers in loss to Devil Rays By PETER ABRAHAM THE JOURNAL NEWS (Original publication: September 26, 2007) ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Yankees missed a chance to clinch a postseason berth and quite likely any shot they had of catching the Red Sox in the American League East last night. But losing 7-6 in 10 innings against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays did come with some benefits. As the Yankees prepare to build their roster for the division series, they are learning which relief pitchers they can trust and which should watch the games on television. Jeff Karstens lost the game when Dioner Navarro belted his third pitch for a walk-off home run in the 10th inning. But the game was given away in the sixth inning when Edwar Ramirez and Brian Bruney walked four batters with the Yankees up by five runs. Ramirez gave up an RBI double to Navarro and Bruney a grand slam by Jorge Velandia, a journeyman infielder who had never before hit a home run. "It's a helpless feeling," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "You don't give yourself a chance to get guys out. That's when you know you're in the charity business." The Yankees outhit the Rays 12-5 but left nine runners on base, five in scoring position. Tampa Bay drew 11 walks. Ramirez and Bruney are among the relievers the Yankees are considering for their postseason staff. But Ramirez has allowed eight runs on seven hits and four walks in his last 2 2/3 innings. Bruney has given up 10 runs on eight hits and seven walks in his last 6 2/3 innings. As they falter, the Yankees will have to give serious consideration to rookie Ross Ohlendorf, veteran left-hander Ron Villone and perhaps right-hander Chris Britton. "We have to try and get (Ramirez) straightened out," Torre said. "It's all about aggressiveness. It looked like he was feeling his way. He's on his heels a little bit." Bruney, who earlier this season mocked the idea that he needed to throw more strikes, grew testy when a television reporter asked how disappointed he was. "Nobody wants to go out and give up a grand slam," he said. Losers of two straight and three of their last five, the Yankees almost certainly will not win the American League East. The Red Sox beat the Oakland Athletics 7-3 to move three games ahead of the Yankees with only five games left to play. The Detroit Tigers kept the wild-card race going for at least another day by beating the Minnesota Twins 8-0. They trail the Yankees by 4 1/2 games. The Yankees, who need one victory to clinch a postseason berth, will send ace Chien-Ming Wang against J.P. Howell tonight. "Everybody wants to move on to the next season but we still have work to do," Torre said. The day did not start auspiciously when Roger Clemens was scratched from his start and replaced by Kei Igawa. The left-hander had not started a game for the Yankees since July 26. Igawa walked five and threw 87 pitches in five innings but did not allow a run. Tampa Bay had only two hits against him. "I knew this would be my last outing and I had fun," Igawa said. The Yankees gave Igawa plenty of run support. Johnny Damon (5 for 5) singled, stole second and scored on a double by Derek Jeter in the first inning. Damon and Jeter had singles before Bobby Abreu walked to load the bases with no outs in the third. Alex Rodriguez then crushed an 0-1 pitch off one of the catwalks above left field. It was his 53rd home run (and third grand slam) of the season. Rodriguez has 151 RBI, the most for any Yankee since Joe DiMaggio had 155 in 1948. Rodriguez had gone 55 at-bats since his last home run. "That should have been enough," Torre said. After the bullpen blowup, the Yankees tied the score in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Melky Cabrera. But Jeter struck out looking with two runners on. "I can never remember (clinching) being easy," he said. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.163.197.175