新聞來源
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096412
Pettitte declines Yankees option, weighting future
ESPN.com news services
Updated: November 5, 2007, 9:42 PM ET
"I have spoken with Brian Cashman, who has reiterated what Hank Steinbrenner
said about the Yankees wanting to give Andy all the time he needs to decide
about next season," Pettitte's agent, Randy Hendricks, said Monday in an
e-mail to The Associated Press. "Accordingly, we are declining to exercise
the option for 2008 and Andy will declare free agency in order to free up
a roster spot for the Yankees.
"If Andy decides to play, I am confident we can reach an agreement with
the Yankees within 24 hours. The only options, as Andy has stated, are
the Yankees or retirement. He appreciates the Yankees' willingness to
give him the time he feels he needs. I do not expect him to make a decision
for quite some time."
The 35-year-old left-hander went 15-9 with a 4.05 ERA for the Yankees
this year, including 11-3 after the All-Star break. He was their most
effective starter in the postseason, pitching 6 1/3 scoreless innings
in Game 2 of New York's first-round loss to Cleveland.
Pettitte had until Wednesday to decide on his option, part of the contract
he agreed to last December when he returned to the Yankees after three
seasons with his hometown Houston Astros. That deal paid him a $16 million
salary this year.
"Obviously, we want Andy to stay with the Yanks and pitch for us in '08.
In fact, I'd say I need him to," said Cashman, the team's general manager.
"He's an important piece for us. ... We're hopeful that at some point that
the marriage of the Pettittes and the Yankees can continue."
Last month, he said he wasn't sure whether he would play again, saying
he had to relax and discuss the matter with his family.
"I wouldn't have ever imagined my arm feeling as good as it has," he said.
"I'm just very, very blessed, feel very blessed that my arm has held up
and I felt strong all year. I haven't had any problems with my elbow
this year."
Last week, however, Pettitte was still weighing retirement or playing.
"It probably wouldn't be real honorable for me not to do anything other
than if I shut it down, shut it down or go back and play for the New York
Yankees," he told KRIV television.
New York is in a state of flux. Manager Joe Torre left after 12 seasons
when the team offered him a paycut, and third baseman Alex Rodriguez chose
to terminate his record $252 million, 10-year contract with three seasons
remaining and become a free agent. The Yankees have said they won't negotiate
with A-Rod now that he's opted out.
New York is attempting to re-sign closer Mariano Rivera and catcher Jorge
Posada, who both became free agents.
Cashman said Pettitte called him and they spoke for 10-20 minutes. Pettitte
has a standing offer of $16 million he can accept at any time. Cashman
wouldn't discuss whether the team would entertain a new deal.
"He told me specifically this is not about waiting to see what kind of
club we have on the field and anything regarding the manager," Cashman said.
"He's earned the right to take some more time, as far as we're concerned."
Without Pettitte, new Yankees manager Joe Girardi would have a projected
starting rotation that includes 19-game winner Chien-Ming Wang, who lost
twice to Cleveland in the playoffs; Mike Mussina, who will be 39 next month;
and youngsters Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy.
On another front, Cashman said he will use this week's GM meetings to explore
options for replacing Rodriguez at third base.
"It's time to start scoping out all our needs," he said. "Third is one of
them. That's not going to develop all that quickly."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
--
※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc)
◆ From: 59.126.166.197