精華區beta NY-Yankees 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Twins’ Owner Sounding More Like Steinbrenner from newsday.com By JACK CURRY Published: September 29, 2006 Carl Pohlad, the 91-year-old billionaire owner of the Minnesota Twins, is not an obvious candidate to engage in trash talking. But Pohlad was apparently feeling feisty about Minnesota’s chances in the postseason when he challenged the Yankees. “I’d rather play the Yankees because I know we can beat them,” Pohlad was quoted as saying yesterday in The St. Paul Pioneer Press. When Pohlad was subsequently asked if he would derive the most enjoyment out of defeating George Steinbrenner, the Yankees’ principal owner, he told the newspaper, “That’s right.” What was more surprising than Pohlad’s remarks about a team that defeated the Twins in the American League division series in 2003 and in 2004 was Steinbrenner’s reaction. He had none. For once, Steinbrenner, who is typically loud and proud while discussing or defending the Yankees, was mum. “He’s certainly a friend of mine, so I’ll decline comment on that,” Steinbrenner said through Howard Rubenstein, his spokesman. Maybe Steinbrenner, 76, was simply showing respect for an elder, or maybe he was continuing his recent behavior of avoiding any potentially controversial topics. “He’s just declining all comments,” Rubenstein said. Steinbrenner rarely does interviews anymore and has become less visible around the team. Still, Pohlad’s two sentences used to be the type of words that would annoy Steinbrenner and cause him to retaliate. “He wouldn’t even comment on it to me,” Rubenstein said. If the standings in the A.L. do not change, the Yankees will again play the Twins in the division series. The Twins, who have clinched at least the wild-card berth, were tied with the Tigers atop the Central after defeating Kansas City last night, 2-1, in 10 innings. If the Tigers and the Twins end up in a tie, the Tigers will win the tie breaker as the Central champions, having won the season series, so the Twins would still oppose the Yankees. It would be their third postseason meeting in four years. The basic script has not changed much. The Yankees are $200 million giants with All-Stars dotting their roster, while the Twins are $64 million grunts who are blessed with Johan Santana as their best pitcher. Of course, this time around, the Twins also have two of the elite young players in the major leagues — Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. Because the Twins still have Santana and have a deeper lineup than before, one that includes Michael Cuddyer and Torii Hunter, Hunter said he thought the Twins were in their best position to finally subdue the Yankees. The Twins won the playoff openers in 2003 and in 2004, with Santana starting both times, before losing the next three games. “I feel like we can beat anybody,” Hunter said last week. “I can’t go out there thinking, ‘The Yankees, the Yankees, we’re going to have a tough time. ’ Then we’re beat. You can’t go in thinking, ‘They’ve got great players, Hall of Fame players.’ So I’m telling you, we’re going to win. We’re not going there to lose.” Rondell White, a former Yankee and now the designated hitter for Minnesota, said the Twins were prepared to play the Yankees. “They’re always the team to beat,” White said. “I guess you’ve got to go through them. You got to go through them anyway, so you might as well go through them in the first round.” When Twins Manager Ron Gardenhire was asked to choose the favorite to win a World Series title, he mentioned the Yankees’ depth and the return of Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield from wrist injuries in picking them. “If you go to Vegas, you’ll probably find that out, too,” Gardenhire said. “It’s not probably far off of their line. But that doesn’t mean you can’t beat them. You’ve got to go out and figure out a way to do it.” Based on Pohlad’s words, he seems to think the Twins, who made a remarkable dash into the postseason, can figure out a way. Before the 2003 season, the Twins’ franchise was nearly eliminated; Pohlad agreed to fold it for a payout of $125 million to $200 million. Naturally, Pohlad is not popular in Minnesota. Now Pohlad, who has a net worth of $2.8 billion, is enthused enough about the Twins to become one of the few 91-year-old trash talkers in predicting that they will slay the Yankees. Pohlad also said the Twins had “a good chance to go all the way,” making him sound more like Steinbrenner than Steinbrenner. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.130.155.141
leddy:季後賽還沒開始,老闆先開砲 09/29 16:21
leddy:Twins報仇來了 09/29 16:21
※ 編輯: leddy 來自: 140.130.155.141 (09/29 16:22)