精華區beta NY-Yankees 關於我們 聯絡資訊
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks144468936oct14,0,4409456.story?coll=ny-yankees-bigpix Will Cashman bolt for Phillies? BY JIM BAUMBACH AND JON HEYMAN STAFF WRITERS October 14, 2005 Brian Cashman is believed to be on the Phillies' short list of GM candidates, possibly even the favorite, while the Yankees gauge their chances of keeping him. The Yankees are not believed to have made him an offer, but they are considering a three-year proposal with a slight raise over his current $1.1-million salary. The Yankees likely will present him their offer sometime next week, and they hope to have an answer before his contract expires Oct. 31. Cashman has not addressed his situation since he broke down after the Yankees lost Monday, which made it seem as if he's ready to leave the only team he's worked for. The Phillies also are believed to be interested in former Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker, who has ties to the Philadelphia area and has a personal relationship with Phillies president Dave Montgomery, who will have the final say on their hire. Yankees people believe they still have a decent chance of keeping Cashman, while acknowledging that his decision will be based more on lifestyle issues than money. The Yankees have no timetable for when Cashman will address his situation, but they reiterated yesterday that Joe Torre will hold his annual year-end news conference sometime early next week. He is expected to address his relationship with George Steinbrenner. "I'm not sure what he'll do," bench coach Joe Girardi told WFAN, "but I know Joe will be professional about whatever he does and will be a gentleman like always." Steinbrenner, meanwhile, spent a little more than an hour yesterday at the team's minor-league complex in Tampa, perhaps preparing for the start of the annual organizational meetings that take place there at the beginning of every offseason. The Boss, however, took time out to release a glowing statement about Mel Stottlemyre, who criticized the Yankees' New York-Tampa setup Wednesday. After 10 years as pitching coach, Stottlemyre quit Wednesday before the team could fire him. "Mel Stottlemyre will always be a Yankee," Steinbrenner said. " . . . While it is no secret I can be a very difficult boss, Mel has always conducted himself as a professional and a gentleman. I wish he and Jean much success and happiness in the future." Tino Martinez, who was one of four players who cleaned out their lockers yesterday, defended Stottlemyre and Torre but said he isn't surprised by the constant speculation. After seven seasons with the Yankees, Martinez knows the territory. "I think Joe's done a great job here," he said. "I love Joe Torre. I think he deserves to stay here and finish his contract, or whatever he wants to do. But Joe would be the first to tell you that this is the Yankees, and they're not afraid to make changes." Martinez said he didn't see much difference between how Torre acted this year and the way the manager carried himself during the first baseman's first tour of duty with the Yankees from 1996-2001. "If he's getting worn out or tired, he's always had a great attitude with the team," he said. "He never lets us see he feels that way. I didn't see it. He was fun to be around." Considering everything that went on, simply getting the Yankees to the playoffs this season was something Torre cherished. And Martinez and Tom Gordon believe they couldn't have done it without Torre. "He did a great job. We could have very easily not made the playoffs and been out of this thing a month and a half ago," Martinez said. "He'd have his little meetings here or there, kept us positive and kept pushing us to keep moving forward." Said Gordon: "He had a job to do, a tough job to do. Early on, with all the guys we had injured, having to deal with our team not playing as well as we should have been playing, there was so much going on. He handled it very well and kept us together." As far as Martinez is concerned, he doesn't see how replacing Torre would help the Yankees. Said the first baseman, "I don't know if anybody else could do it as well as he does." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.229.99.105
yamasalu:謝謝告知~M(_ _)M 10/18 08:54