精華區beta NY-Yankees 關於我們 聯絡資訊
The New York Times By TYLER KEPNER Published: November 9, 2006 There may be no pitcher available who fits the Yankees’ needs better than Daisuke Matsuzaka. So it came as no surprise when the Yankees announced yesterday that they would bid on the rights to negotiate with him by the 5 p.m. deadline. The Mets were also expected to bid on Matsuzaka, but a spokesman said the team would not announce if it had. The Texas Rangers said they would bid, and the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs were also possible bidders. In any case, the complicated courtship of Matsuzaka has entered its next phase. Major League Baseball has collected the blind bids of teams interested in negotiating with Matsuzaka, a 26-year-old right-hander for the Seibu Lions in Japan. Under the rules of the posting system, Commissioner Bud Selig will inform the office of the Japanese commissioner’s office of the amount of the winning bid. That office will then tell the Lions, who have four business days to accept or reject the bid. The Lions will not be told which team made the bid, but the identity should not stay a secret for long. There is little doubt that the Lions will accept the highest bid, and when they do, the team that made it will be notified. That team would then have 30 days to negotiate a contract with Matsuzaka’s agent, Scott Boras, who projected him as a No. 1 starter likely to command at least $10 million a year. If no deal is reached, Matsuzaka will return to the Lions and the major league team will get its money back. The Seattle Mariners, who did not bid on Matsuzaka, paid $13.125 million in 2000 for the right to negotiate with Ichiro Suzuki. The winning bid for Matsuzaka was expected to be much higher, perhaps $20 million or more, and his status as a young power pitcher makes him compelling for all of the teams involved. For several years, the Yankees have tried unsuccessfully to overhaul an aging rotation. But the signing of Matsuzaka, along with the development of the right-handers Chien-Ming Wang and Phil Hughes, would give the Yankees a foundation of three young starters. The Yankees have health questions about two signed veterans — Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano — and they continue to negotiate with Mike Mussina on a two-year contract extension that will probably be worth $22 million to $23 million. NATIONALS KEEP PENA WAITING It would seem that the Yankees’ first-base coach, Tony Pena, remains a candidate for the Washington Nationals’ managing job. But Pena, who has not spoken with the Nationals in about a month, is not so sure. “I’ve spoken with them once, but I have not heard from them yet,” Pena said yesterday by telephone from the Dominican Republic. “I really can’t answer that. They have not made a decision.” The Nationals’ job has been open since the final weekend of the regular season.. While the Chicago Cubs, the San Francisco Giants, the Texas Rangers, the Florida Marlins and the San Diego Padres have filled their managers’ jobs, the Nationals have not. The Oakland Athletics also have an opening that arose after the league championship series. The Washington Post reported yesterday that Pena and the Mets coach Manny Acta were the Nationals’ only publicly known candidates but did not rule out the possibility of others. Acta said Tuesday that he interviewed with Nationals executives before leaving for Japan for an exhibition series. “I thought it went real well,” Acta told The Associated Press. “I’m familiar with the organization. The whole process really impressed me. They have a plan in place, and with the new stadium coming up, it’s a very attractive job, so I hope I get it.” EXECUTIVES HONORED The Bronx Chamber of Commerce honored three Yankees executives last night. Reggie Jackson, a special adviser to the principal owner, George Steinbrenner, received the chamber’s Legend Award. Randy Levine, the team president, was given the Trailblazer Award. Ray Negron, another adviser to Steinbrenner and the author of “The Boy of Steel: A Baseball Dream Come True,” a best-selling children’s book, received the Humanitarian Award. INDIANS GET BARFIELD Josh Barfield, who as a rookie second baseman helped San Diego win a division title, was acquired by the Cleveland Indians, who traded infielder Kevin Kouzmanoff and the right-hander Andrew Brown to the Padres. The Padres also hired a new manager. They chose Bud Black, the Los Angeles Angels pitching coach, to replace Bruce Bochy. Barfield batted .280 with 32 doubles, 13 home runs and 58 runs batted in to help the Padres win the National League West. The son of Jesse Barfield, a former American League home run champion, he also had 21 steals and scored 72 times. Barfield will help Cleveland’s defense, too. His .987 fielding percentage — 9 errors in 684 total chances — was third best among N.L. second basemen. One of the Indians’ biggest deficiencies last season was their fielding up the middle, which should improve because of Barfield’s speed and range. (AP) CUBS HIRE HITTING COACH Cubs Manager Lou Piniella completed his staff as Gerald Perry agreed to a two-year deal to be the team’s hitting coach. Perry, who was Oakland’s hitting coach last season, served as the Seattle Mariners’ hitting coach from 2000 to 2002 when Piniella was their manager. (AP) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 211.74.239.60