精華區beta Nationals 關於我們 聯絡資訊
John Keim, Jul 25, 2006 WASHINGTON - The moment summed up his career, one marked by promise and pain. By the time his line drive touched the ground in left, driving in two, Alex Escobar had grabbed his right hamstring and one-legged it to first. The crowd at Friday’s Nationals game celebrated a lead; he bowed his head at first and waited to hobble to the bench. “I wasn't even angry after that,” the Nats outfielder said. “I got [ticked], but then I wanted to laugh. For me, it becomes a joke. I do the right things, work hard and do everything possible to keep my body healthy and it doesn't happen.” What has happened is a career marked by injuries. And that has made Escobar, in some respects, the cautionary tale of trading for prospects. The Nationals are considering such prospects in exchange for Alfonso Soriano. As a highly-touted minor leaguer, Escobar went to Cleveland in 2001 in exchange for Robbie Alomar. Escobar was a five-tool player, a can’t miss talent. One problem: “There's no such thing as a can't-miss in this game,” Nats manager Frank Robinson said. Escobar, who has played in just 105 big league games, is still young enough at 27 to realize any potential. Of course, two words must follow that sentence: if healthy. He has an opportunity in Washington, which is devoid of center field prospects. In 31 at-bats since coming off the disabled list July 6, Escobar has batted .452 with five homers and 12 RBI. “I'm young enough to make something happen, but time goes fast,” Escobar said. “I want to get it done now. I'm doing now what I was supposed to be doing a couple years ago. I'm still trying to convince someone I'm still worth it. It's very hard. I know I can do it, but I have to prove it.” The personable Escobar is in terrific shape. He's altered his workout sessions – performing them before batting practice instead of afterward. He lifts weights and stretches daily. And waits for the day the injuries end. “I’m frustrated for him because it looks like he's finally in a good groove,” Robinson said, “and then there's another injury. He certainly doesn't go out there and intentionally injure himself. We hope he can pick up where he left off.” Such is the theme of his career. “[Friday night], I was feeling pretty good and was where I wanted to be,” Escobar said. “Then I took a step back.” Infirmary report >> Escobar missed all of 2002 after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in a knee. He missed all of 2005 with a navicular fracture in his right foot. The injury also limited him to a combined 62 games in the majors and Class AAA in 2004. >> In 1999, he was limited to three games because of a back injury. >> Escobar was on the disabled list in May for a strained hamstring. He re-injured his hamstring against Chicago on Friday. He also missed time in spring training with a sore right hip and quadriceps.