精華區beta StarTrek 關於我們 聯絡資訊
====================================================================== Relativity and FTL Travel by Jason W. Hinson ([email protected]) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- PART I: Special Relativity ====================================================================== This is PART I of the &quotRelativity and FTL Travel" FAQ. It contains basic information about the theory of special relativity. In the FTL discussion (PART IV of this FAQ), it is it is assumed that the reader understands the concepts discussed below, while it is not assumed that the reader has read parts II and III of this FAQ as they are &quotoptional reading&quot. Therefore, if the reader is unfamiliar with special relativity in general (and especially if the reader is unfamiliar with space-time diagrams) then he or she should read this part of the FAQ to understand the FTL discussion in PART IV. For more information about this FAQ (including copyright information and a table of contents for all parts of the FAQ), see the &quotRelativity and FTL Travel--Introduction to the FAQ" portion which should be distributed with this document. Contents of PART I: 1. An Introduction to Special Relativity 1.1 Reasoning for its Existence 1.2 Time Dilation and Length Contraction Effects 1.3 Introducing Gamma 1.4 Energy and Momentum Considerations 1.5 Experimental Support for the Theory 2. Space-Time Diagrams 2.1 What are Space-Time Diagrams? 2.2 Basic Information About the Diagrams we will Construct 2.3 Constructing One for a &quotStationary" Observer 2.4 Constructing One for a &quotMoving" Observer 2.5 Interchanging &quotStationary" and &quotMoving" 2.6 &quotFuture", &quotPast", and the Light Cone 1. An Introduction to Special Relativity The main goal of this introduction is to make relativity and its consequences feasible to those who have not seen them before. It should also reinforce such ideas for those who are already somewhat familiar with them. This introduction will not completely follow the traditional way in which relativity came about. It will begin with a pre-Einstein view of relativity. It will then give some reasoning for why Einstein's view is plausible. This will lead to a discussion of some of the consequences this theory has, odd as they may seem. Finally, I want to mention some experimental evidence that supports the theory. 1.1 Reasoning for its Existence The idea of relativity was around in Newton's day, but it was incomplete. It involved transforming from one frame of reference to another frame which is moving with respect to the first. The transformation was not completely correct, but it seemed so in the realm of small speeds. (NOTE: By &quotframe of reference" we sort of mean the &quotpoint of view" of a particular observer. However, it doesn't necessarily mean what the observer would actually see. Rather it involves what the observer says is actually true from his point of view. For example, today I might SEE a ray of light that came from an event which occurred 1 light-year away from me. I would then say that in my frame of reference, the event occurred one year ago--NOT today (when I see the event)--because I DO take into account the time it took for the signal to reach me. So, that is the way things really are in my frame of reference, and that is the concept we will hold to when talking about where and when something happens in some frame of reference. As another example, when I say that event A is simultaneous with event B in my frame of reference, I do not mean that I SEE them occur at the same time, but rather that after time delays for the signals from the two events are taken into account, I find that they REALLY were simultaneous in my frame of reference. It will be important to remember this later in our discussion.) Now, here is an example of the Newtonian idea of transforming from one frame of reference to another. Consider two observers, you and me, for example. Let's say I am on a train that passes you at 30 miles per hour. I throw a ball in the direction the train is moving, and the ball moves at 10 mph in MY point of view. Now consider a mark on the train tracks. As I am holding the ball (before I throw it), you see it initially moving along at the same speed I am moving (the speed of the train). Then I throw the ball, and the ball is able to reach the mark on the track before I do. So to you, the ball is moving even faster than I (and the train). Obviously, it seems as if the speed of the ball with respect to you is just the speed of the ball with respect to me plus the speed of me with respect to you. So, the speed of the ball with respect to you = 10 mph + 30 mph = 40 mph. This was the first, simple idea for transforming velocities from one frame of reference to another. It tries to explain a bit about observations of one observer relative to another observer's observations. In other words, this was part of the first concept of relativity. Now I introduce you to an important postulate that leads to the concept of relativity that we have today. I believe it will seem quite reasonable. I state it as it appears in a physics book by Serway: &quotthe laws of physics are the same in every inertial frame of reference." What it means is that if you observe any physical laws for a given situation in your frame of reference, then an observer in a reference frame moving with a constant velocity with respect to you should also agree that those physical laws apply to that situation. As an example, consider the conservation of momentum. Say that there are two balls coming straight at one another. They collide and go off in opposite directions. Conservation of momentum says that if you add up the total momentum (which for small velocities is given by mass times velocity) before the collision and after the collision, then the two should be identical. Now, let this experiment be performed on a train where the balls are moving along the line of the train's motion. An outside observer would say that the initial and final velocities of the balls are one thing, while an observer on the train would say they were something different. However, BOTH observers must agree that the total momentum is conserved. One will say that the momentum before and after were both some number, while the other will say that the momentum before and after were both some other number. They will disagree on what the actual numbers are, but they will agree that the law holds. We should be able to apply this to any physical law. If not, (i.e., if physical laws were different for different frames of reference) then we could change the laws of physics just by traveling in a particular reference frame. A very interesting result occurs when you apply this postulate to the laws of electrodynamics. What one finds is that in order for the laws of electrodynamics to be the same in all inertial reference frames, it must be true that the speed of electromagnetic waves (such as light) is the same for all inertial observers. Simply stating that may not make you think that there is anything that interesting about it, but it has amazing consequences. Consider letting a beam of light take the place of the ball in the first example given in this introduction. If the train is moving at half the velocity of light, wouldn't you expect the light beam (which is traveling at the speed of light with respect to the train) to look as if it is traveling one and a half that speed with respect to an outside observer? Well, this is not the case. The old ideas of relativity in Newton's day do not apply here. What accounts for this peculiarity is time dilation and length contraction. 1.2 Time Dilation and Length Contraction Effects Now, I give an example of how time dilation can help explain a peculiarity that arises from the above concept. Again we consider a train, but let's give it a speed of 0.6 c (where c = the speed of light which is 3E8 m/s--3E8 means 3 times 10 to the eighth). An occupant of this train shines a beam of light so that (to him) the beam goes straight up, hits a mirror at the top of the train, and bounces back to the floor of the train where some instrument detects it. Now, in my point of view (outside the train), that beam of light does not travel straight up and straight down, but makes an up-side- down &quotV" shape because of the motion of the train. Here is a diagram of what I see: Diagram 1-1 /|\ / | \ / | \ light beam going up->/ | \&lt-light beam on return trip / | \ / | \ / | \ / | \ ---------|----------&gttrain's motion (v = 0.6 c) Let's say that the trip up takes 10 seconds in my point of view. The distance the train travels during that time is: (0.6 * 3E8 m/s) * 10 s = 18E8 m. The distance that the beam travels on the way up (the slanted line to the left) must be 3E8 m/s * 10s = 30E8 m. Since the left side of the above figure is a right triangle, and we know the length of two of the sides, we can now solve for the height of the train using the Pythagorean theorem (note "^2" means &quotraised to the power of two"): Height^2 * (18E8 m)^2 = (30E8 m)^2 so Height = [(30E8 m)^2 - (18E8 m)^2]^0.5 = 24E8 m. (It is a tall train because we said that it took the light 10 seconds to reach the top, but this IS just a thought experiment.) Now we consider the frame of reference of the traveler. The light MUST travel at 3E8 m/s for him also, and the height of the train doesn't change because relativity contracts lengths only in the direction of motion. Therefore, in his frame the light will reach the top of the train in 24E8 m / 3E8 (m/s) = 8 seconds, and there you have it. To me the event takes 10 seconds, while according to him it must take only 8 seconds. We measure time in different ways. You see, to me the distance the light travels is longer than the height of the train (see the diagram). So, the only way the observer on the train could say that the light traveled the height of the train while I say that the light travels a longer distance is if we either (1) have different ideas for the speed of the light because we are in different frames of reference, or (2) we have different ideas for the time it takes the light to travel because we are in different frames of reference. Now, in Newton's days, they would believe that the former were true. The light would be no different from, say, a ball, and observers in different frames of reference can observer different speeds for a ball (remember our first example in this introduction). However, with the principles of Einstein's relativity, we find that the speed of light is unlike other speeds in that it must always be the same regardless of your frame of reference. Thus, the second explanation must be the case, and in my frame of reference, the clock of the observer on the train is going slower than mine. As I mentioned above, length contraction is another consequence of relativity. Consider the same two travelers in our previous example, and let each of them hold a meter stick horizontally (so that the length of the stick is oriented in the direction of motion of the train). To the outside observer, the meter stick of the traveler on the train will look as if it is shorter than a meter. Now, DON'T BE FOOLED! One of the first concepts which can get into the mind of a newcomer to relativity involves a statement like, &quotif you are moving, your clock slows down." However, the question of which clock is REALLY running slowly (mine or the one on the train) has NO absolute answer! It is important to remember that all motion is relative. That is, there is no such thing as absolute motion. You cannot say that it is the train that is absolutely moving and that I am the one who is actually sitting still. Have you ever had the experience of sitting in a car, noticing that the car beside you seems to be moving backward, and then realizing that you are &quotactually" moving forward. Well, the only reason you say that &quotactually" you were moving forward is because you are considering the ground to be stationary, and it was you who was moving with respect to the ground rather than the other car. Before you looked at the ground (or surrounding scenery) you had no way of knowing which of you was &quotreally" moving. Now, if you did this in space (with space ships instead of cars), and there were no other objects around to reference to, then what would be the difference in saying that your space ship was the one that was moving or saying that it was the other space ship that was moving? As long as neither of you are undergoing an acceleration (which would mean you were not in an inertial frame of reference) there is no absolute answer to the question of which one of you is moving and which of you is sitting still. You are moving with respect to him, but then again, he is moving with respect to you. All motion is relative, and all inertial frames are equivalent. So what does that mean for us in this &quottrain" example. Well, from the point of view of the traveler on the train, he is the one who is sitting still, while I zip past him at 0.6 c. Since he can apply the concepts of relativity just as I can (that's the postulate of relativity--all physical laws are the same for all inertial observers), and in his frame of reference I am the one who is in motion, that means that he will think that it is MY clock that is running slowly and that MY meter sticks are length contracted. So, there is NO absolute answer to the question of which of our clocks is REALLY running slower than the other and which of our meter sticks is REALLY length contracted smaller than the other. The only way to answer this question is relative to whose frame of reference you are considering. In my frame of reference his clock is running slower than mine, but in his frame of reference my clock is running slower than his. This lends itself over to what seem to be paradoxes such as &quotthe twin paradox&quot. Understanding these paradoxes can be a key to really grasping some major concepts of special relativity. The explanation of these paradoxes will be given for the interested reader in PART II of this FAQ. 1.3 Introducing Gamma Now, the closer one gets to the speed of light with respect to an observer, slower ones clock ticks and the shorter ones meter stick will be in the frame of reference of that observer. The factor which determines the amount of length contraction and time dilation is called gamma. Gamma is defined as (1 - v^2/c^2)^(-1/2). For our train (for which v = 0.6 c in my frame of reference), gamma is 1.25 in my frame of reference. Lengths will be contracted and time dilated (as seen by me--the outside observer) by a factor of 1/gamma = 0.8, which is what we demonstrated with the difference in measured times (8 seconds compared to 10 seconds). Gamma is obviously an important number in relativity, and it will appear as we discuss other consequences of the theory (including the effects of special relativity on energy and momentum considerations). 1.4 Energy and Momentum Considerations Another consequence of relativity is a relationship between mass, energy, and momentum. Note that velocity involves the question of how far you go and how long it takes. Obviously, if relativity affects the way observers view lengths and times relative to one another, one could expect that any Newtonian concepts involving velocity might need to be re-thought. Consider momentum (which in Newtonian mechanics is defined as mass times velocity). With relativity, this value is no longer conserved in different reference frames when an interaction takes place. The quantity that is conserved is relativistic momentum which is defined as p = gamma * m * v where gamma is defined in the previous section. By further considering conservation of momentum and energy as viewed from two frames of reference, one can find that the following equation must be true for the total energy of an unbound particle: E^2 = p^2 * c^2 + m^2 * c^4 where E is energy, m is mass, and p is the relativistic momentum as defined above. Now, by manipulating the above equations, one can find another way to express the total energy as E = gamma * m * c^2 Notice that even when an object is at rest (gamma = 1) it still has an energy of E = m * c^2 Many of you have seen something like this stated in context with the theory of relativity. It says that mass itself contains energy. It is important to note that the mass in the above equations has a special definition which we will now discuss. As a traveler approaches the speed of light with respect to an observer, the observer sees the &quotmass" of the traveler increase. (By &quotmass", we mean the property that indicates (1) how much force is needed to create a certain acceleration and (2) how much gravitational pull you will feel from that object in Newtonian gravitation). However, the mass in the above equations is defined as the mass measured in the rest frame of the object. That mass is always the same. We sometimes define the properties of mass as they are seen by the observer (I will call these properties &quotobserved mass") as being gamma * m. Thus, we could also write the total energy as E = (observed mass) * c^2 That observed mass approaches infinity as the object approaches the speed of light with respect to the observer. Further, note the case where the rest mass of an object is zero (such is the case for a photon). Given the equation for the energy in the form E = gamma*m*c^2, one might at first glance think that the energy was zero when m = 0. However, note that massless particles like the photon travel at the speed of light. Since gamma goes to infinity as the velocity of an object goes to c, the equation E = gamma*m*c^2 involves one part which goes to zero and one part which goes to infinity, and it is not obvious what the energy would be. However, if we use the energy equation in the form E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4, then we can see that when m = 0 then the energy is given by E = p*c. Now, a photon has a momentum (it can &quotslam" into particles and change their motion, for example) which is determined by its wavelength. It thus has an energy given by p*c, even though it has no rest mass. 1.5 Experimental Support for the Theory These amazing consequences of relativity do have experimental foundations. One of these involves the creation of particles called muons by cosmic rays (from the sun) in the upper atmosphere. In the rest frame of a muon, its life time is only about 2.2E-6 seconds. Even if the muon could travel at the speed of light, it could still go only about 660 meters during its life time. Because of that, they should not be able to reach the surface of the Earth. However, it has been observed that large numbers of them do reach the Earth. From our point of view, time in the muon's frame of reference is running slowly, since the muons are traveling very fast with respect to us. So the 2.2E-6 seconds are slowed down, and the muon has enough time to reach the earth. We must also be able to explain the result from the muon's frame of reference. In its point of view, it does have only 2.2E-6 seconds to live. However, the muon would say that it is the Earth which is speeding toward the muon. Therefore, the distance from the top of the atmosphere to the Earth's surface is length contracted. Thus, from the muon's point of view, it lives a very small amount of time, but it doesn't have that far to go. This is an interesting point of Relativity--the physical results (e.g. the muon reaches the Earth's surface) must be true for all observers; however, the explanation as to how it came about can be different from different frames of reference. Another verification of special relativity is found all the time in particle physics. The results of having a particle strike a target can be understood only if one takes the total energy of the particle to be E = Gamma * m * c^2, which was predicted by relativity. These are only a few examples that give credibility to the theory of relativity. Its predictions have turned out to be true in many cases, and to date, no evidence exists that would tend to undermine the theory in the areas where it applies. In the above discussion of relativity's effects on space and time we have specifically mentioned length contraction and time dilation. However, there is a little more to it than that, and the next section attempts to explain this to some extent. 2. Space-Time Diagrams In this section we examine certain constructions known as space- time diagrams. After a short look at why we need to discuss these diagrams, I will explain what they are and what purpose they serve. Next we will construct a space-time diagram for a particular observer. Then, using the same techniques, we will construct a second diagram to represent the coordinate system for a second observer who is moving with respect to the first observer. This second diagram will show the second observer's frame of reference with respect to the first observer; however, we will also switch around the diagram to show what the first observer's frame of reference looks like with respect to the second observer. Finally, we will compare the way these two observers view space and time, which will make it necessary to first discuss a diagram known as a light cone. 2.1 What are Space-Time Diagrams? In the previous section we talked about the major consequences of special relativity, but now I want to concentrate more specifically on how relativity causes a transformation of space and time. Relativity causes a little more than can be understood by simple notions of length contraction and time dilation. It actually results in two different observers having two different space-time coordinate systems. The coordinates transform from one frame to the other through what is known as a Lorentz Transformation. Without getting deep into the math, much can be understood about such transforms by considering space-time diagrams. A space-time diagram gives us a means of representing events which occur at different locations and at different times. Every event is portrayed as a point somewhere on the space-time diagram. Because of relativity, different observers which are moving relative to one another will have different coordinates for any given event. However, with space-time diagrams, we can picture these different coordinate systems on the same diagram, and this allows us to understand how they are related to one another. 2.2 Basic Information About the Diagrams we will Construct In the diagrams we will be using, only one direction in space will be considered--the x direction. So, the space-time diagram consists of a coordinate system with one axis to represent space (the x direction) and another to represent time. Where these two principle axes meet is the origin. This is simply a point in space that we have defined as x = 0 and a moment in time that we have defined as t = 0. In Diagram 2-1 (below) I have drawn these two axes and marked the origin with an o. For certain reasons we want to define the units that we will use for distances and times in a very specific way. Let's define the unit for time to be the second. This means that moving one unit up the time axis will represent waiting one second of time. We then want to define the unit for distance to be a light second (the distance light travels in one second). So if you move one unit to the right on the x axis, you will be looking at a point in space that is one light second away from your previous location. In Diagram 2-1, I have marked the locations of the different space and time units (Note: In my diagrams, I am using four spaces to be one unit along the x axis and two character heights to be one unit on the time axis). With these units, it is interesting to note how a beam of light is represented in our diagram. Consider a beam of light leaving the origin and traveling to the right. One second later, it will have traveled one light second away. Two seconds after it leaves it will have traveled two light seconds away, and so on. So a beam of light will always make a line at an angle of 45 degrees to the x and t axes. I have drawn such a light beam in Diagram 2-2. Diagram 2-1 Diagram 2-2 t t ^ ^ | | light + + / | | / + + / | | / -+---+---o---+---+---> x -+---+---o---+---+-> x | | + + | | + + | | 2.3 Constructing One for a &quotStationary" Observer At this point, we want to decide exactly how to represent events on this coordinate system for a particular observer. First note that it is convenient to think of any particular space-time diagram as being specifically drawn for one particular observer. For Diagram 2- 1, that particular observer (let's call him the O observer) is the one whose coordinate system has the vertical time axis and horizontal space axis shown in that diagram. Now, other frames of reference (which don't follow those axes) can also be represented on this same diagram (as we will see). However, because we are used to seeing coordinate systems with horizontal and vertical axes, it is natural to think of this space-time diagram as being drawn specifically with the O observer in mind. In fact, we could say that in this space-time diagram, the O observer is considered to be &quotat rest&quot. So if the O observer starts at the origin, then one second later he is still at x = 0 (because he isn't moving in this coordinate system). Two seconds later he is still at x = 0, etc. So, he is always on the time axis in our representation. Similarly, any lines drawn parallel to the t axis (in this case, vertical lines) will represent lines of constant position. If a second observer is not moving with respect to the first, and this second observer starts at a position two light seconds away to the right of the first, then as time progresses he will stay on the vertical line that runs through x = 2. Next we want to figure out how to represent lines of constant time. To do this, we should first find a point on our diagram that represents an event which occurs at the same time as the origin (t = 0). To do this we will use a method that Einstein used. First we choose a point on the t axis which occurred prior to t = 0. Let's use an example where this point occurs at t = -3 seconds. At that time we send out a beam of light in the positive x direction. If the beam bounces off of a distant mirror at t = 0 and heads back toward the t axis, then it will come back to the us at t = 3 seconds (because we know that the light must travel at the same speed going as it does coming back). So, if we send out a beam at t = -3 seconds and it returns at t = 3 seconds, then the event of it bouncing off the mirror occurred simultaneously with the time t = 0 at the origin. To use this in our diagram, we first pick two points on the t axis that mark t = -3 and t = 3 (let's call these points A and B respectively). We then draw one light beam leaving from A in the positive x direction. Next we draw a light beam coming to B in the negative x direction. Where these two beams meet (let's call this point C) marks the point where the original beam bounces off the mirror. Thus the event marked by C is simultaneous with t = 0 (the origin). A line drawn through C and o will thus be a line of constant time. All lines parallel to this line will also be lines of constant time. So any two events that lie along one of these lines occur at the same time in this frame of reference. I have drawn this procedure in Diagram 2-3, and you can see that the x axis is the line through both o and C which is a line of simultaneity (as one might have expected). Now, by constructing a set of simultaneous time lines and simultaneous position lines we will have a grid on our space-time diagram. Any event has a specific location on the grid which tells where and when it occurs. In Diagram 2-4 I have drawn one of these grids and marked an event (@) that occurred 3 light seconds away to the left of the origin (x = -3) and 1 second before the origin (t = -1). Diagram 2-3 Diagram 2-4 t t | | | | | | | B ---+---+---+---+---+---+--- | \ | | | | | | + \ ---+---+---+---+---+---+--- | \ | | | | | | + \ ---+---+---+---o---+---+--- x | \ | | | | | | -+---+---o---+---+---C- x ---@---+---+---+---+---+--- | / | | | | | | + / ---+---+---+---+---+---+--- | / | | | | | | + / | / A | 2.4 Constructing One for a &quotMoving" Observer Now comes an important addition to our discussion of space-time diagrams. The coordinate system we have drawn will work fine for any observer who is not moving with respect to the O observer. Now we want to construct a coordinate system for an observer who IS traveling with respect to the O observer. The trajectories of two such observers have been drawn in Diagrams 2-5 and 2-6. Notice that in our discussion we will always consider moving observers who pass by the O observer at the time t = 0 and at the position x = 0. Thus, the origin will mark the event &quotthe two observers pass by one another&quot. Now, the traveler in Diagram 2-5 is moving slower than the one in Diagram 2-6. You can see this because in a given amount of time, the Diagram 2-6 traveler has moved further away from the time axis than the Diagram 2-5 traveler. So the faster a traveler moves, the more slanted this line becomes. Diagram 2-5 Diagram 2-6 t t | / | / + + / | / | / + + / |` |/ -+---+---o---+---+--- x -+---+---o---+---+- x ,| /| + / + / | / | + / + / | / | What does this line actually represent? Well, consider an object sitting on this line, right next to our moving observer. If a few seconds later the object is still sitting on that line (right next to him), then in his point of view, the object has not moved. The line is a line of constant ps the same thing for the moving observer as the t axis represented for the O observer; and in fact, this line becomes the moving observer's new time axis. We will mark this new time axis as t' (t-prime). All lines parallel to this slanted line will also be lines of constant position for our moving observer. Now, just as we did for the O observer, we want to construct lines of constant time for our traveling observer. To do this, we will use the same method that we did for the O observer. The moving observer will send out a light beam at some time t' = -T, and the beam will bounce off some mirror so that it returns at time t' = +T. Then the point at which the beam bounces off the mirror will be simultaneous with the origin, where t' = t = 0. There is a very important point to note here. What if instead of light, we wanted to throw a ball at 0.5 c, have it bounce off some wall, and then return at the same speed (0.5 c). The problem with this is that to find a line of constant time for the moving observer, then the ball must travel at 0.5 c both ways in the reference frame of the MOVING observer. But we have not yet defined the coordinate system for the moving observer, so we do not know what a ball moving at 0.5 c with respect to him will look like on our diagram. However, because of relativity, we know that the speed of light itself CANNOT change from one observer to the next. In that case, a beam of light traveling at c in the frame of the moving observer will also be traveling at c for the O observer. So, a line which makes a 45 degree angle with respect to the x and t axes will ALWAYS represent a beam of t t t' | / | / + B' + / | / \ | / __--x' + / C' + / __C'- |/ / |/__-- -+---+---+---o---/---+---+- x -+---+---+-__o---+---+---+- * Origin: ● 台大電機 Maxwell 站 ● From: 140.115.221.115