→ kafelnikov:Mauresmo快點養好傷吧! 推 61.70.91.11 12/19
Sampras, Mauresmo skip Open
Thursday, 19 December, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Dec 18 AP Pete Sampras who has said he is planning to play at least one more year on the circuit, has announced that he will skip the Australian Open.
The 31-year-old Sampras, the 1994 and 1997 Australian Open winner, told the Los Angeles Times that he does not have enough time to prepare for the major event that begins January 13. He expects to return to play in February in the Siebel Open in San Jose, and also plans to compete in the final three major championships - the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open.
"I'm just going to see how it goes, just kind of ride the wave and see how far it takes me," said Sampras, whose wife, Bridgette Wilson, gave birth to their first child last month. He won the US Open in September, his fifth victory in the tournament and record 14th Grand Slam title. The victory was his first since capturing his seventh Wimbledon title in July 2000.
Sampras said he made his decision to continue playing last week after consulting with his wife, father Sam and brother Gus. "I understand that, week in and week out, I don't have what I had when I was No. 1 in the world," he said. "To do that, to stay there, it has to be your total life, you have to live and breathe it. But that doesn't mean I can't still win the big ones."
Meanwhile, Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo has withdrawn from the Australian Open with an injured knee. The world No. 6 has been battling pain in the kneecap for the past two months and says she won't be fit in time for the Open. Mauresmo missed the end-of-season WTA Championships in November due to the same injury.
--
※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw)
◆ From: 203.213.80.221