精華區beta Tennis 關於我們 聯絡資訊
既然談到ㄚ山哥...那就來篇報導吧 Four events to decide Sampras future By Paul Malone 16jan03 MELBOURNE Park absentee Pete Sampras may reassess his career after he plays four US hardcourt tournaments next month. That was the tip yesterday from Sampras's trainer Brett Stephens, who revealed the star had missed only one week of training as he weighed up whether to play in 2003. The dual Australian Open champion will play the first of four US hardcourt events in San Jose on February 10. "Physically, Pete was fine. He would have played the Australian Open except he felt there weren't enough tournaments to get ready," said the former Fitzroy player. "He'd gone from early September to January 1 without any matchplay. If there were three lead-in tournaments, he would have been here. "It wouldn't surprise me if he played San Jose to Miami (at end of March) and then see how he feels (about playing on). "He only took a week off and then went six days a week after that. He wanted to keep the body rolling, while all the time trying to decide what he wanted to do." Sampras will have had five months without a tournament when he returns in San Jose. Stephens said he believed Sampras was "almost 100 per cent" certain to bid for an eighth Wimbledon title in July. "He has been quoted saying it would be nice to finish at Wimbledon - game, set, match - and hang it up," he said. Asked if he thought Sampras would return to Melbourne in 2004, Stephens said: "I don't know. To steal Pete's quote, he says he's going to ride the wave and see where it takes him. It's a matter of whether he has the commitment to do the travel. "When he was making his mind up, there were three months in which he had days when he was thinking about retiring and the next day he wanted to play. The more he tried to retire, the more he thought he needed to play." Despite his record of 14 grand slam singles titles, Sampras, 31, has received new motivation by developments in tennis training and technology. "He has been given a racquet with a bigger head and he's excited with how much more power and control it gives him," said Stephens, who returned to Melbourne to cheer Zimbabwean girlfriend Cara Black, who lost in the first round of the women's singles. "He would want to have a better Wimbledon than last year and he still has designs on the French Open (the only major title Sampras has not won. "I wouldn't expect him to win the first tournament, but by Indian Wells and Miami (March) he should be in good form." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw) ◆ From: 61.217.127.58 ※ 編輯: noanoa 來自: 61.217.127.58 (01/17 00:03)