精華區beta Tennis 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Another all-Williams final at Wimbledon WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Venus Williams' shoulders sagged with relief as she gave the Centre Court crowd a wave and weary smile, capping another triumphant day for her family at Wimbledon. Gallant and a little lucky, two-time champion Williams aggravated an abdominal strain in the third game but still rallied to beat Kim Clijsters 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 in the semifinals Thursday. Her opponent Saturday will be defending champion Serena Williams, who beat Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-3, 6-2 to avenge a traumatic loss in the French Open semifinals four weeks ago. The Williams sisters have met in four of the past five Grand Slam finals, including Wimbledon last year, with Serena winning them all. They've won the past three Wimbledon titles. But even by their standards, Thursday's victories were special. With Serena watching the second semifinal from a Centre Court seat, her sister won despite a stomach injury that first bothered her two months ago. Venus grimaced and hunched over after hitting a serve in the third game, and during the ensuing changeover she took a medical timeout and left the court for treatment. Her lucky break was a rain delay after the first set. ``The rain saved me,'' she said. ``I couldn't calm myself down, I was just so worried about the injury. Serena came in and talked to me. I went out and talked to my mom and my other sisters. ``My mom said, `Just pray and calm yourself down. If you're going to play, play. If not, don't do it.' Finally after about half an hour, I was able to come to terms with it.'' When play resumed, Williams began hitting with her characteristic flair, and she won 10 of the final 11 games. The victory ensures that her sister will remain No. 1 ahead of Clijsters in next week's rankings. At Roland Garros last month, fans jeered Serena and cheered her mistakes against Henin-Hardenne, but the Centre Court crowd at Wimbledon had only applause for her. ``I'm just happy to be in the final of Wimbledon again,'' the younger Williams said. ``I've been able to realize at the French that you can't always make it to the finals. Now that I'm back, it's definitely exciting.'' More showers Thursday delayed the start of play for 2 1/2 hours, but when it finally began, Serena Williams was ready. She came out hitting so ferociously that by the second game the huge hoop earring on her left ear was gone -- albeit only temporarily. The force of her strokes sometimes sent her airborne, and several times she let out a jubilant shriek after winning a point. ``I played really well today,'' Williams said. ``I was really focused. I had to be.'' Williams accused Henin-Hardenne of cheating in their Paris match by requesting a timeout and then failing to acknowledge it. Following the upset, Williams drew boos when she brusquely shook hands with the Belgian. This time a victorious Williams greeted Henin-Hardenne at the net with a grin, a firm handshake and a conciliatory pat on the shoulder. ``I think she's a good player, I think she's a nice girl and I have no hard feelings,'' Williams said. Said Henin-Hardenne: ``We're just two players, and we all want the same thing -- winning a lot of matches. We don't have a problem between each other.'' The pace of Venus Williams' serves dropped for a time after she aggravated her injury, and she stiffened in pain after hitting an overhead. Clijsters repeatedly controlled rallies in the first set, keeping Williams on the move. But the rain delay revived Williams, while Clijsters' strokes became more erratic. The Belgian committed seven unforced errors in a single game, losing serveto fall behind 5-3 in the second set, and Williams served it out. ``After that rain break, she came back stronger,'' Clijsters said. ``I felt like I played a great match out there. The rallies were unbelievable.'' Williams won the final six games. She bent over in pain again after the next-to-last point, but Clijsters hit a forehand wide on match point. ``I just gritted my teeth and started fighting,'' Williams said. ``And throughit all, here I am.'' Williams said she hopes to be able to play in the final. ``I'm praying, and I'm going to do what I can,'' she said. ``I have to at least show up.'' -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw) ◆ From: 203.203.34.127 ※ 編輯: ouch 來自: 203.203.34.127 (07/04 04:12)