精華區beta Tennis 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Fellow seeds Mantilla, Ferrer, also advance. Fifth-seeded Argentine Agustin Calleri recovered from a first-set shut-out to defeat American Cecil Mamiit 0-6, 6-3, 6-4 and advance to the second round of the Bellsouth Open by Rosen. It was the first win of the season for Calleri, who lost in the first round of Auckland and the Australian Open. Calleri went 14-11 on clay last year. Spanish seeds Felix Mantilla (7) and David Ferrer (8) also won through to the second round. Mantilla improved to 7-3 on the year with a 6-1, 6-4 win over countryman Alberto Martin. Ferrer also conceded just five games to American Alex Kim in his 6-2, 6-3 win. Second seed Nicolas Lapentti has withdrawn from the tournament with a back injury. He has been replaced by Spanish lucky loser Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo. WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID Mantilla: "It's always tough to play another Spaniard, but the result showed I played a good match. I'm confident and playing well. I feel like I am going to have a good year. If I stay free of injury, the results should come." Calleri: "I didn't have any confidence at the start of the match. I have to work on that. Although it took me three or four match points to close out that match, hopefully it will give my confidence a boost." TUESDAY PREVIEW Top seed Gaston Gaudio faces a tough opening-round match against Nicolas Massu in the feature night match Tuesday. Massu played his best tennis of the season this time last year when he reached the Vina del Mar semifinal and won the Buenos Aires title. However, he is playing his first tournament of the 2003 season this week. Despite missing last week's Davis Cup Tie through injury, Massu said fitness will not be a problem this week. "I am definitely ready to play," he said. "I don't know how I will perform because it's been many months since I've played a match. It's a tough match and I'll just try to do my best. I wouldn't be surprised if I won or if I lost." Massu is here this week with coach Gabriel Markus, who is no longer working with David Nalbandian. Gaudio has eight matches under his belt this year, including convincing Davis Cup wins last weekend against Australian Open champion Rainer Schuettler and Lars Burgsmuller. Gaudio conceded just nine games in five sets against the Germans. Gaudio won two clay court titles last year with back-to-back victories in Barcelona and Mallorca. Third seed Marcelo Rios plays his first tournament match of the season against fellow Chilean and wild card entrant Adrian Garcia. Rios, who had a surprisingly-lean South American swing this time last year (falling in the first round of Vina del Mar and the second round of Buenos Aires) made his 2003 season debut last week in Chile's Davis Cup loss to Ecuador. Rios suffered a shock straight-sets loss to Giovanni Lapentti on day one before beating Nicolas Lapentti on day three. Rios returned a 32-21 match record last season, including 6-6 on clay. In a big day for Chile, wild card Hermes Gamonal follows Rios and Garcia on center court in a match against Spaniard Jacobo Diaz. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw) ◆ From: 61.64.102.144