精華區beta Tennis 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Agassi defeats Philippoussis in three, few surprises in other late matches. Andre Agassi has won 15 consecutive matches at the NASDAQ-100 Open included titles in 2001 and 2002. Andre Agassi came into Tuesday's fourth round match having lost just eight games in two matches and having barely been tested in his early round match- ups. But in front of a packed and enthusiastic crowd, Mark Philippoussis gave Agassi a tough test, winning the first set and pushing him on every point until midway through the second set. After going up a break in the second, Agassi was content to sit back on the baseline and keep Philippoussis pinned deep for the next set and a half as he pulled out the win 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. "I had plenty of opportunities in the first set, it could have gone either way," said Agassi. "It was a high standard match and I missed some key returns in the first set, but I felt like I converted the right points in the second and third." For Mark Philippousis the loss ended his best run at a Tennis Masters Series event since reaching the final at the BNP Paribas Masters in 2000. Since then , he had failed to advance past the third round at 10 Tennis Masters Series tournaments. Philippoussis is now 8-3 in his past three tournaments. "You never feel in control with Mark," said Agassi of his opponent. "There's always a sense of urgency when you play him, you feel like you need to break when you have the chance, because it could be your last. I thought he was moving the ball well. Mark has some of the biggest weapons on tour." "My game has really picked up," said Philippoussis. "I think I've matured. I had three great wins here and there are some positives to take away." Agassi now plays Moroccan Younes El Aynaoui. "Younes is a great player to watch," said Agassi. "He's 6-5 and actually moves well. There's alot in his game that can give you alot of problems." Earlier today, El Aynaoui fought off a spirited challenge from Nicolas Lapentti in the second set tiebreak to become the first Moroccan to reach the quarterfinals here in the 19-year history of the event. After blazing through the first set, 6-0, El Aynaoui faced a set point against him in the second before putting Lapentti away with a forehand winner of a short ball. That match on Grandstand was followed by a classic backcourt duel between Argentina's Guillermo Coria and French Open champion Albert Costa that lasted almost three hours. After splitting the first two sets, Costa got up a break early in the third and took control from there. For the French Open champion, this is the best result he has had on hard court at a Tennis Masters Series event since reaching the quarterfinals of the 2000 BNP Paribas Masters in Paris. And rounding out the quarterfinals in the bottom half of the draw is Swiss star Roger Federer, who had little trouble dispatching Sjeng Schalken 6-2, 6-3. -------------------------------------- -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.csie.ntu.edu.tw) ◆ From: 61.64.85.206