精華區beta Tennis 關於我們 聯絡資訊
BERLIN, May 12 (AFP) - World number one Martina Hingis and Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna were engaged in a war of words at the German Open on Wednesday after Hingis split up their doubles partnership to play with fellow teenager Anna Kournikova. Hingis was reported in English newspaper 'Mail On Sunday' to have called 30-year-old Novotna old and slow after they struggled to win the Lipton title in March. After beating Spaniard Gala Leon Garcia 6-3, 6-2 to reach the third round of the German Open, top seeded Hingis protested her innocence - but then repeated her assertion in different words. "I felt very good about playing with Anna because she's fresh and motivated," said Hingis. "I don't want to put her (Novotna) down because we're still good friends, but she's just not the same player she was last year. "I want to have a chance in the doubles and I want to win, and I didn't see that if I continued playing with Jana." Novotna was disappointed that she heard about the break-up from other people, not Hingis. "I was disappointed in two different ways," Novotna said. "First because I'm not going to play with her any more, especially when we had such a wonderful year last season. We lost only two matches in the whole year, and we made a commitment for the whole of this year. "Unfortunately after Lipton she decided she no longer wanted to play with me and that's fine. But I was disappointed the way she handled it and that I was the last one to know about it. "I heard from players and everybody else. She didn't handle it like a champion and it's very disappointing." Hingis again denied she was in the wrong, but then again suggested there was more than a grain of truth in Novotna's accusation. "It's not true," she insisted. "I wouldn't do something like break up before telling her, but if something goes wrong in the relationship you feel it anyway. "If not, you're blind. You see your partner is not satisfied. "I told her after our victory in Key Biscayne. Well, I told her maybe in Hilton Head (the following week) because I didn't want to say it right after we won. I was waiting until it was the right time." Hingis, who won the Australian Open with Kournikova in January, decided on the basis of one tournament that she was having to work too hard to win with the 'ageing' Czech. "I wasn't happy because the way we played in Key Biscayne wasn't that satisfying any more," said Hingis. "Being down in the final 6-0 2-0 isn't very satisfying, even though we won in the end. In the rounds before we always played three sets, and with my singles I didn't want to waste so much time playing doubles." She is also good friends with Kournikova, and that played a part in her decision. "I felt very good about playing with Anna because she's fresh and motivated," Hingis said. "It was easier playing with Anna. With Novotna it was always a very professional relationship. We didn't go out to dinner or practise together, and that's what I'm doing now with Anna and I feel better this way." Novotna has emerged from the controversy well, after agreeing to partner world number one doubles player Natasha Zvereva. Incredibly, given their long experience, they have never played together before. Their first outing will be at the French Open later this month. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.twbbs.org) ◆ From: BenRyder.Dorm12