精華區beta Tennis 關於我們 聯絡資訊
Myskina joins the missing at Serena's return party March 26, 2004 KEY BISCAYNE, United States (AFP) - Serena Williams is returning to the WTA Tour after an eight-month absence but none of the women in her path to reclaiming the world number one ranking will be here to welcome her. Russia's fifth-ranked Anastasia Myskina completed the list of top-five absentees here Thursday when she withdrew from the WTA and ATP Masters Series tournament because of a sprained left toe. Sixth-ranked Williams, who has been absent for eight months since beating her sister Venus in the 2003 Wimbledon final, is the top seed. She opens Friday morning with a second-round match against Spanish qualifier Marta Marrero. World number one Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium bypassed the 6.5 million-dollar event after winning last week at Indian Wells, California. Her second-ranked compatriot, Kim Clijsters, pulled out with an injured left wrist. Third-ranked Amelie Mauresmo of France and fourth-ranked American Lindsay Davenport also begged off due to injury. Now Myskina has joined them in diminishing the field, citing an injury sustained last week at Indian Wells. "I'm so disappointed that I can't play the tournament," Myskina said. "I was hoping so much that I would be able to compete, but my toe just hasn't healed enough." Venus Williams , ranked 17th but seeded second here, could face Serena in the final. The highest-rated foes in her half of the draw now are eighth-ranked Elena Dementieva, the fifth seed, and 11th-rated Nadia Petrova, seeded eighth. With so many top women absent, the only top-10 rivals in her half of the draw are 10th-rated Ai Sugiyama of Japan, seeded sixth, and American Jennifer Capriati, seeded fourth but just a single ranking point behind Serena. Capriati missed three months with a back injury before making her return last month. "I have maybe a little bit of an advantage on the other players, maybe Serena too, coming in fresh," Capriati said. "I wanted to get healthy and come back." Qualifying lucky loser Gisela Dulko of Argentina, who reached the Indian Wells quarter-finals for a career-best effort as a qualifier, will replace Myskina in the draw. Dulko opens with a second-round match against Ukranian Viktoriya Kutuzova, who defeated American Marissa Irvin 6-3, 6-4. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 203.219.101.22
MARSAFIN:借轉:) 推 140.119.151.38 03/27