精華區beta W-Philosophy 關於我們 聯絡資訊
I read a couple of days ago that Aquinas argues that you ought not committ suicide to prevent yourself from being raped. For in commiting suicide, you commit a sin, whereas being raped you commit no sin at all. I'm not really convinced of Aquinas's argument. Setting aside the question of whether there is a God, it still seems to me grotesquely odd that even in that sort of circumstances, suicide is not morally permitted. It seems that Aquinas regards suicide as evil in nature and it is thus absolutely forbidden. No matter how much good might come out of it in the end, it is never morally permissible. For the end can never justify the means. This of course relates to the doctrine of double effects (dde) as is often discussed in the ethical literature. Roughly, dde concerns itself with the moral permissibility of an act that has two effects, one good the other bad. And roughly dde says that an action can be permissible only if it satisfies the following four conditions. 1. Can't be evil in nature. 2. Can't be an evil means 3. The bad effect of the action is not intended by the agent (although might be forseeable) 4. minimise the forseeable harm of course, dde is quite popular among the church people. but i doubt that it is a reasonable criterion. anyway, it's just something that came across my mind.. what do people think about dde? -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 150.203.124.52
julians:but how can you ask Aquinas to set aside God? 11/06 23:52
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------- < 作者: realove (realove) 看板: W-Philosophy 標題: Re: [閒聊] rape versus suicide 時間: Tue Nov 7 06:25:46 2006 : 推 julians:but how can you ask Aquinas to set aside God? 11/06 23:52 Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I'm not asking Aquinas to set aside God. I'm only saying that whether God exists or not is a questionable assumption. But just for the sake of what I was going to say, I would set that question aside for a moment. Of course, Aquinas bases his philosophy on the teachings of God. btw, I think I have something to add to what I said about dde. It just occured to me that in saying condition (2) must be satisfied, I was actually saying that evil means cannot be used to achieve the good effect of the action. And my earlier formulation of condition (4) might be a bit contentious. Some would argue that the requirement was one concerning proportionality, namely the good effect must be in proportion to the bad effect. okay, this should help to make the dde clearer. An interesting question to ask is whether it is too strict and rule out some actions we normally regard as morally permissible. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 150.203.124.52