精華區beta jazz 關於我們 聯絡資訊
初次上PTT不久 ,轉錄一些東西...... 希望不會耗費太多頻寬 PabloNeruda TIMO爵士報 - http://www.taconet.com.tw/TimoJazz/ 猶記前陣子在國外的News Group裡有幾篇關於Chick Corea是不是白痴 的爭論,這則專訪正好可以讓大家認識他。 生於爵士樂團擁有者的家中,Chick Corea從小在爵士樂的環境裡長大 ,六零年末與Miles Davis 混之後,自組回到永恒樂團也在Fusion界 打出名號,今天已是還在世的爵士樂手中大師級的人物, 釘著亮片的皮夾克,莫札特,爵士樂,Chick Corea說,我是搞音樂的 ,我會一直搞音樂。 == Chick Corea Wants To Keep On Grooving By Sara Marani LONDON (Reuters) - He's been called an icon, an institution, one of the best jazz pianists alive but Chick Corea doesn't want to be put on a pedestal, he just wants to carry on swinging. ``There's no point thinking in terms of icons. How other people view me is by choice and up to them, but I just play because I love it, I like to groove,'' the 58-year-old from Massachusetts told Reuters in an interview after a recent concert in London. ``Worship and reverence aren't things I feel belong in music that much. For music to be presented that way is not the way I like to think it should be presented.'' Corea's modesty belies an enormously influential career spanning more than 30 years, during which he has collaborated with some of the all-time jazz greats and has given the electric piano a new prominence. Innovations Upset Many Fans But Corea has driven many jazz fans to despair over the years. Blessed with wonderful technique, a virtuosity he applies to his trademark rock-pop-jazz fusion just as he does to classical Mozart, he's upset many with excursions into new sounds that have resulted in highly complex recordings. But over the past few years he has got back into the swing with his new band Origin, which has inspired him to produce some of his most arresting acoustic jazz since the Sixties. He started out three decades ago, joining Miles Davis as the trumpeter was inventing jazz rock. Corea's fluid electric piano provided the band with a mixture of harmonic abstraction and rock pulse which later proved vital to Davis' music. After a brief interlude with the avant-garde that puzzled some listeners, Corea spent most of the 70s and 80s experimenting with the new fusion of his electric piano against a background of Latin music, hard rock and string arrangements. But his latest album abandons the rock and delves into the classical side. ``It was not until the 80s that I developed a real love of Mozart and I decided to write and perform in that way -- it was expansive for me, musical territory that I loved but was inexperienced in...I found it very rewarding.'' Mozart Grooves Too The new recordings include a pair of his own compositions as well as an interpretation of Mozart's Piano Concerto 20 in D minor. ``Mozart's music has a definite pulse and dance about it...once the rhythm gets going it can get infectious and it can be played that way, I like it when it grooves along like that.'' Corea's own concerto, energetic and pulsating, is tailored to his own strand of playing. But his lilting articulation is so 'him' that it's hard to imagine another pianist interpreting the score in the same way. ``But that doesn't matter, there's no real message I want to convey...the problem with conveying messages with music is that the message IS the music itself -- what you experience, that's it.'' All Corea's music has one prominent strand running through it, and that's percussion. He brings drums, triangles, xylophones, anything that jingles or thuds to the fore. ``I really like percussion a lot...I love all that clanging.'' But he also loves to perform piano solos. ``There's nothing quite like playing freely on the stage without other musicians...you can orchestrate on the piano -- you don't need the whole orchestra all the time.'' Born To Play Jazz With his leather jacket and relaxed swagger, Corea brings a cool ease to the jazz scene, tapping his feet to the Mozart and sipping water between chords. Born Armando Anthony Corea in Chelsea, Massachusetts, Corea was studying piano by the age of four and enjoyed a childhood home filled with the sounds of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell...and his own late father. ``My father had his own jazz band, I always had that music around me and I loved it,'' he says, adding fondly that his 90-year-old mother is very much still around and proud of him. One thing Corea is always keen to discuss is the philosophy according to which he lives his life -- scientology. It shaped his past, it's key to his present, and it determines any future plans. Scientology Strikes A Chord Brought up a Roman Catholic, Corea says his discovery of scientology -- like fellow celebrities Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Priscilla Presley -- has helped him balance his life. ``I've got a few simplicities together -- I don't pretend to be the happiest guy in the world, or the freest guy in the world, but I have struck a balance in a few ways. ``Life consists in having a purpose and pursuing it, that's important, and for me it's been making music and I love it. It fulfils me not just personally but socially because people like it. I feel like I'm contributing something.'' The softly-spoken Corea considers himself lucky to have got this far, and just wants to plod on doing what he loves most -- making music. ``The long-term thing for me is just to make music. I'll always make music. The form that it takes is not that important. I'll pass my baton on to whoever wants it.'' -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.twbbs.org) ◆ From: a212135.ts.nccu.edu.tw