精華區beta suede 關於我們 聯絡資訊
灌水灌水.....^^.... Suede's lead singer, Brett Anderson, talks about the acquisition of his new bibelot, the keyboardist Neil Codling, his partner for the new album Coming Up. The conversation has just begun and Brett is already asking: "What has become of Marisa Monte?" What do you mean? Do you know her? "I haven't met her in person, but I have a couple of Brazilian friends who are always showing me some stuffs about her, She's great!" Marisa Monte is doing alright, thanks for asking. And Brett? Yearning for the US tour? "I don't have great expectations concerning the United States. English bands hardly make the grade there and when they do, you know.....it was already foreseeable." The premiere of the Suede tour in US is only a few days off and the lead singer Brett Anderson doesn't seem to be very happy with the idea of performing in America. Probably he's just dissimulating, for Suede has nothing to complain about. The new album Coming Up got fast no.1 in the British charts and the singles "Trash," "Beautiful Ones," and "Lazy" are among the best sellers in Britain. "I am not depressed. Just a bit tired." Yes, maybe he is. The group has just come back from a big tour through Asia. Weird? Not for Brett Anderson: "We've been to amazing places, Buddhist temples and miserable areas. The performances in Hong Kong and Singapore were great, really crazy. I felt like starting everything over again." Glorious start, Suede appeared in 1992 as the salvation of British rock. Two albums, Suede (1993) and Dog Man Star (1994) put the group on the top. In early 90's, Suede was the only one. But the band had pass through some probations before the consolidation as the kings of rock in Britain. First they had to get over Bernard Butler's abdication a little before the release of the second album. Butler was replaced by Richard Oakes. After that, the world watched the outcome of Blur and Oasis, and Suede was set aside. This hard period was also a hard phase for Brett Anderson, who sank himself into drugs. "Two years without recording, lots of drugs and red wine", explains Brett. After a couple of years of cocaine abuse, Brett now follows a natural diet, has fixed time to go to bed and much more brown rice. "I was feeling like a shapeless thing, so I decided to take care of myself. And besides that, we've got Neil to strike poses in front of the cameras." Neil Codling is a brand new chapter in Suede history. The best definition of the new keyboardist was given by Brett to the NME: "He's my picture of Dorlan Gray. I just deteriorate behind the scenes and write these songs while he stands there looking cool." Neil is really the big shot in Suede's comeback: pretty and healthy faced, and he's a bibelot. In his spare time with Brett, he also writes songs, "The Chemistry Between Us", one of the best tracks of the new album, is the result of the new chemistry between the old and the new Suede. "It was wonderful to write a songs with Neil. He gave a new flavor to the album." Coming Up reminds us of the first album, more mainstream than the experimentalism of Dog Man Star. The lyrics, however, are bitter. "Filmstar" is naelegy(?) about fame. "Trash" goes like that: "We're Trash you and me, we're the litter on the breeze, we're the lovers on the street". A bit pessimistic, huh? Brett disagrees: "Pessimistic? Really? I think it is quite optimistic. Realistic. It's a frank album. "Trash" is not supposed to be depressive nor negative. It's just a chronicle about life, about people who live in the wrong places and had a wrong education. It's a sort of celebration of what the world made out of us." Very peculiar view of the world. And Brazil, when? "We plan a tour to South America every year but it never works. Probably we can go there before the release of the next album. Certainly next year. I love Spanish spirit!" That's ok, foreigner, except for the fact that we speak Portuguese. -By Bruno Zeni -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.twbbs.org) ◆ From: g1109a.dorm.ccu.edu.tw