精華區beta tale 關於我們 聯絡資訊
吹笛者 我想起了Anne of Green Gables系列的最後兩本書 作者借用了這個故事 寫得非常感人 第七本叫Rainbow Valley 主角是Anne的孩子和牧師鄰居家的小孩 他們常常在屋後的小山谷中玩 Walter是次子 他不像長子Jem勇敢富有冒險精神 但他繼承母親的想像力 是個敏感充滿靈性的詩人 從小就會寫故事寫詩 Rainbow Valley就是他取的名字 這一群孩子不過11,12歲左右 某天他們在Rainbow Valley時 Walter「看見」Pied Piper "Some day," said Walter dreamily…"the Pied Piper will come over the hill up there and down Rainbow Valley, piping merrily and sweetly. And I will follow him…away from you all. I don't think I'll want to go--Jem will want to go--it will be such an adventure--but I won't. Only I'll have to--the music will call and call and call me until I must follow." 另一個愛幻想的妹妹Di說:"We'll all go." "No. you'll sit here and wait," said Walter…"You'll wait for us to come back. And we may not come--for we cannot come as long as the Piper plays. He may pipe us round the world. And still you'll sit here and wait--and wait." 大家只把這當成Walter幻想出來的一個夢 但沒有人忘記它 在書末 Jem 要離家上學了 這是第一次Rainbow Valley 的成員長期並且固定的離開 象徵著這群大一點的孩子童年的終點 在歡送會上 Walter又看見了Pied Piper "The Piper is coming nearer," he said, "he is nearer than he was… He pipes--he pipes--and we must follow--Jem and Carl and Jerry and Iꄊ (Jerry, Carl是牧師鄰居之子,這四個就包括了當時在Rainbow Valley 所有 的男孩子)--round and round the world. Listen--listen--can't you hear his wild music?" The girls shivered… But Jem sprang up with a gay laugh…"Let the Piper come and welcome," he cried, waving his hand. "I'll follow him gladly round and round the world." 第八本書 Rilla of Ingleside 主角是Anne最小的女兒Rilla 離上一本已過了5,6年 她15歲 Jem 和Walter 20,21了 那一年是1914 在一個月光舞會上某人帶來了英國宣戰的消息 Walter Blythe had turned pale and left the room. Outside he met Jem, hurrying up the rock steps. "Have you heard the news, Jem ?" "Yes. The Piper has come. Hurrah! I knew England wouldn't leave France in the lurch…" 一個女孩則嗤之以鼻,在歐洲的戰爭關大西洋彼岸的加拿大什麼事呢? Walter looked at her and had one of his odd visitations of prophecy. "Before this war is over," he said--or something said through his lips--"every man and woman and child in Canada will feel it--you, Mary, will feel it--feel it to your heart's core. You will weep tears of blood over it. The Piper has come--and he will pipe until every corner of the world has heard his awful and irresistible music. It will be years before the dance of death is over--years, Mary. And in those years millions of hearts will break." Jem 和Jerry馬上就自願從軍去了 Carl年紀不足 Walter傷寒初癒 儘管沒有人期待他們去 (戰爭才剛開始 人們以為幾個月就結束 當時一個家庭有一個兒子出征就算多了) Walter卻不快樂 他應該要像Jem一樣渴望出征 但他不 他怕--不是怕死,而是戰爭帶來的痛苦與邪惡 他厭惡戰爭 厭惡一切醜惡的事物 一想到他要拿刺刀刺進另一個人的身體就受不了 他認為自己是懦夫 就像他曾經預言的一樣 Jem的確「想要」走 而他自己不想…"The Piper's music rings in my ears day and night --but I cannot follow." Walter 和女孩們去念大學 困在自己的憂鬱之中 小妹Rilla留在家 和大人一起承受著戰爭的壓力 每天緊繃地等待新聞 擔憂 害怕 隨著戰事急轉直下 越來越多青年穿上卡其裝 多到留在大學中的男學生若沒有明顯的傷病 就會被投以白眼 收到一堆嘲笑歧視的信 隔年 Walter還是從軍了 他必須戰勝自己的軟弱----他成功了 Jem後來告訴Rilla 他自己在前線無數次感到害怕 但Walter從不 Walter是他的長官見過最勇敢的軍人 "Realities never scared him--only his imagination could do that." Carl年紀一滿也走了 很久以前Walter說的話終於實現了 男孩們follow the Piper 女孩們在家----等待 Walter贏得了一個勳章 Walter在戰壕中寫了一首家喻戶曉的詩 "The Piper" 然後 有一天 在夜晚站崗的時候 Walter再度見到Pied Piper 聽到他的音樂 他的身影晃過聯軍與德軍之間無人的領地 後面跟著卡其裝的男孩們 於是Walter明白 後天衝鋒的時候 Pied Piper將領他西去 Walter並不害怕 他從不害怕死亡 而死去比起活著是容易多了 戰爭會結束 但記憶不可能消失 對他而言世界將不再如從前美麗 也許他沒有機會寫出小時候夢想會寫的偉大詩篇吧 但他保護了未來可能成為詩人的孩子們 不是嗎? "Yes, I'm glad I came, Rilla."他的最後一封信寫著"…And we shall win… For it isn't only the living who are fighting--the dead are fighting, too…" 戰爭還沒有結束 Anne送走她最後一個兒子 Jem失蹤 Carl失去一眼 那是很難熬的幾個月 然而戰爭總要結束的 失蹤的Jem也有了消息 在德奧求和的那一天 牧師一家來到Anne家中晚餐 他們朗誦"The Piper" 牧師起身致辭敬酒:"Let us drink," he said, "to the silent army-- to the boys who followed when the Piper summoned, 'For our tomorrow they gave their today'--theirs is the victory." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.229.108.65 ※ 編輯: yichinabby 來自: 61.229.108.65 (10/14 00:13) ※ 編輯: yichinabby 來自: 61.229.108.65 (10/14 00:15) ※ 編輯: yichinabby 來自: 61.229.108.65 (10/14 00:16) ※ 編輯: yichinabby 來自: 61.229.108.65 (10/14 00:16) ※ 編輯: yichinabby 來自: 61.229.108.65 (10/14 00:18)