看板 AfterPhD 關於我們 聯絡資訊
文章大意︰預計美國的學院和大學將成片倒閉或彼此合併。理由之一是 年輕人口減少。各高教機構均努力尋求生路,提出各種經營上的創意, 除了大學彼此合併以外,還有和營利的教育機構合併的方案。除此以外 ,開發新的學位計畫(Program),以及推出線上學習計畫(On-line Learning) 等等。 Will Half Of All Colleges Really Close In The Next Decade? Michael Horn Michael Horn Contributor Education I write about transforming education through digital learning https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelhorn/2018/12/13/will-half-of-all-colleges-really-close-in-the-next-decade/#4e7f0d3052e5 Harvard Business School Professor Clayton Christensen consistently turns heads in higher education by predicting that 50% of colleges and universities will close or go bankrupt in the next decade. Christensen and I made a more measured prediction with more nuance in the New York Times in 2013: “a host of struggling colleges and universities—the bottom 25 percent of every tier, we predict—will disappear or merge in the next 10 to 15 years.” ... (內文標題) The prediction arose out of an observation that the business model of traditional colleges and universities was broken. ... (內文標題) On top of that, demographics are beginning to work against traditional colleges and universities. (緊鄰第一段內文) The pool of 18-year-olds is starting to decline—with precipitous declines in certain regions forecast to begin in 2026. That’s a recipe for disaster for two reasons. ... (內文標題) Against this turbulent backdrop ripe for colleges to fail, Christensen observed that the emergence of the first disruptive innovation in education since the printing press —online learning—could wreak even more havoc as students enroll in online learning experiences. ... (內文標題) So what will happen? (緊鄰第一段內文) Richard Vedder, an economist who studies higher education, wrote: To me the issue is not, ‘will colleges be forced to close?’ but rather how many will close and over what time period. Will it be 500? 2000? Will it largely happen in the next five years, or 10 years or more? I am not certain about the details, but the broad contours of the forthcoming changes seem pretty clear." Translation? Our predictions may be off, but they are directionally correct. ... (全文末段) All to say that it’s not that hard to paint a picture of how 25% of existing institutions—be it 550 nonprofit and public four-year institutions or 1,100 degree-granting institutions—close, merge or declare bankruptcy in the years ahead. Yes, the 200 most selective schools in the country are likely to be unaffected by these failures. Many institutions will find ways to innovate in the years ahead—although some of that innovation will likely be through clever mergers. Many will close individual programs (such as full-time MBA programs and law schools) and campus locations, while the institution remains open. Many colleges will likely even grow at the expense of those that fail. And yes, there will be some disruptors that grow significantly. And, we ultimately hope, many students will attend institutions better positioned to help them graduate and be successful. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 114.44.198.10 (臺灣) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/AfterPhD/M.1564669084.A.11A.html
boblu: 提醒:中文標題漏掉那個 really 意思就差很多喔 08/01 22:25
※ 編輯: saltlake (114.44.197.235 臺灣), 08/02/2019 05:47:33