看板 Aviation 關於我們 聯絡資訊
這篇是用英文紀錄我第一次考IR失敗的過程。在考試的過程中,由於小小的問題所造成的 骨牌效應,讓我失去PIC該有的作為而導致失敗。也讓我親身體驗到由於自己的失誤,極 有可能會造成飛安事故。 希望能藉由我的失敗經驗,讓有志學飛的朋友們了解飛行是一件極為嚴謹的事情, currency 之外更需要 proficiency, 絕不容許任何 sloppiness or complacency。 隔了幾天跟教練重飛了一次,確定這些問題都能預防或知道怎麼處置之後,下一個星期重 考之後通過了IR考試。我會再花時間將兩次的考試過程改寫成中文,並改用說故事的方式 記敘。 I failed the flying test. And experienced the swiss cheese theory or chains leading up to an accident first hand! One spotty equipment led to another issue and the snowball effect caused me to become task saturated and failed to act as PIC. Original plan: - Hold at ESDEF as published. - VOR 17 T74 - RNAV approach to KEDC (wind on the day was changing so I didn't know would it be 13 or 31) - ILS 35L KAUS Departing from KAUS was fine. The PTT button was acting up when we entered the hold at ESDEF at VOR 17 T74. I couldn't get my voice transmitted. FAIL #1: While I was diagnosing PTT button, due to the strong tailwind > 30kts, I busted the protected region in the holding area! Went 5nm South of ESDEF! ESDEF is a fix, NOT a NAVAID. I forgot about that and focused on the station passage signal in the VOR receiver. What I should really do was to check the GPS distance to the fix. FAIL #2: I discovered my error and turned back to the North of ESDEF to continue the exam. Due to traffic at T74, ATC assigned me to a higher altitude (4000’) not the regular holding altitude (2500’). I didn’t use the hold to lose altitude because ATC specifically asked me to maintain 4000 in the hold. I only started my descent while turning inbound for the approach. Too high. +2000ft upon reaching VDP. +1800ft upon reaching MAP. FAIL: #3: Normally Austin approach would assign you a modified missed approach procedure before clearing you of the approach. Not the case that day. Published missed approach procedure is to make a climbing turn and go back to ESDEF. While making the climb, my hands are occupied and ATC gave a lengthy sequence of instructions which includes going to a fix EFVEP, which is the IAF of the approach into the next airport. But due to weather conditions that day, I don’t exactly know which approach they are going to assign me. So I didn’t really anticipate direct EFVEP. Also, EFVEP sounds so much like ESDEF to me, as a non-native speaker. So there was quite a bit of confusion over the radio and I couldn’t get my readback correct for 3 or 4 times. My confidence was breaking and for a couple of seconds I didn't really know what to do. <- FAILING acting as PIC. Strike 3. DPE took over and asked to fly back to KAUS and do the ILS. FAIL #4: About to intercept the localizer, my iPad crashed. I tried to pull up backup paper plates, and found out I put them along with other paperworks/documents for the oral exam on my truck after the oral exam. Without an IAP, I opted for a visual approach and landed at KAUS. In the debrief, DPE and the owner of the school told me luckily it’s just a checkride, not in actual IMC, and reviewed what I should have really done to avoid the failures: 1) ALWAYS keep situational awareness. Stay in the protected region in the hold and diagnose the issue. 2) ASK ATC for clearance to descend to a lower altitude. Use the hold to adjust to a suitable altitude. The altitude must be correct crossing FAF. 3) ASK ATC for a vector in case I don't understand the instructions in the first place. Also, plan ahead and know the approach better. 4) ASK ATC to help brief the approach in case we can't locate the plate. Not ideal but they can help. I choked up in the debriefing session, and cried a lot after going back home for several hours. It took me almost 20 years to save enough, come to the US and have the chance to earn this rating but I failed. Failing the exam is of course not pleasant, but what’s even more sad is I failed to act like PIC and put me and the passengers in harm’s way. Were we in actual IMC we might have been killed. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 108.226.172.119 (美國) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Aviation/M.1602809444.A.20D.html ※ 編輯: JackChung (108.226.172.119 美國), 10/16/2020 08:53:20
pmd: 推您的分享,能發現問題並改正它才是最重要的 10/16 09:26
summerleaves: 我有朋友Fail 2次 第3次才過的 你壓力不要太大 10/16 10:48
summerleaves: 看起來你的CFII給的支持跟準備還不夠就讓你去考了 10/16 10:50
summerleaves: 你還沒拿到 Rating前 都只是 Student 專注學習就好 10/16 10:53
考試前我已經操作模擬機+找safety pilot飛+找教練飛達75小時儀器飛行時數了。我自己 以為已經準備地很充份了: 高度隨時保持+-50', 航向隨時保持+-3, hold可以畫出漂亮的 racetrack, arc也是很有信心, 只給我空速計, 高度計, turn coordinator, tachometer, COM1, 和 localizer reverse sensing 的VOR gauge, 我也可以飛 ILS 到DA正對跑道, glideslope線壓在甜甜圈上, 落地都盡量是無感著陸。前兩周也預演了三種可能的考試路 線。一切都表現ok, 教練才放心簽名讓我上場。 結果被沒預料到,時好時壞的PTT按鈕造成不必要的心理壓力,導致後面接連作了不好的決 定...
Danjor: I Pad crashed..... 10/16 11:16
德州午後的天氣很容易造成ipad熱當,所以正常都會準備紙本備份,偏偏那天跟口試的其 他文件一起收回車上沒帶上機...
bzez: checkride 標準不會因為天氣而放寬,所以還是等到好天氣再 10/16 13:57
bzez: 考。 10/16 13:57
考試失敗那天其實是超級大晴天, 所以大家都跑出來飛, NORDO traffic 太多導致 ATC把 我擺比較高, 也沒時間先給我modified missed approach procedure。 重考那天MVFR, 幾乎一路 actual IMC, 反而根本沒有 traffic...
summerleaves: 練75小時 得到 we might have been killed 的結尾 10/16 14:38
summerleaves: 這之間的認知落差 你想一想吧 10/16 14:39
那天的表現真的是所有飛行中表現最差的一次,自己也被深深地震撼到。既有的經驗與訓 練還並不夠充份讓我在壓力中作好ADM, CRM。
Danjor: 很好的經驗,不是所有事都能按計畫來 10/16 17:27
Single pilot IFR真的夠嗆, 雖然重考後已經拿到IR,我還是得非常謹慎規劃飛IFR任務。 solo飛IFR目前personal minimum是定在MVFR(1000'/3sm)。 一定會找其他熟練的IR飛行員一起進IFR/low IFR condition。 ※ 編輯: JackChung (108.226.172.119 美國), 10/16/2020 21:23:12
yafayu: T74 VOR 17 and ESDEF 有圖再加上你的故事比較好想像 10/17 05:09
yafayu: https://i.imgur.com/PzO0qB1.jpg 10/17 05:09
yafayu: 不用氣餒 我覺得是很好的經驗,single ifr 又手飛本來就很 10/17 05:11
yafayu: 辛苦,下次進步就好! 10/17 05:11
yafayu: 紙本plate...永遠都要帶著考試....我有遇過考官更狠 直接 10/17 05:19
yafayu: 把iPad沒收說壞了你怎麼辦? 其他我覺得考試有時候有突發 10/17 05:19
yafayu: 或是緊張都是正常的,加油 10/17 05:19
bzez: 樓上的考官我遇過,問IPAD壞了,我回答用手機,如果手機也壞 10/17 06:54
bzez: 掉沒電,我大概也不會飛了,後來DPE也同意。 10/17 06:54
UmeiU: 飛出來後,這些經歷會讓你更強大,加油 10/18 11:53
crackecstasy: 熱當和冷當都要小心、還是有紙本預備比較好 10/19 23:31
PhySeraph: 拍拍 我也飛兩次過的 有進步有推 11/08 22:32