看板 Eng-Class 關於我們 聯絡資訊
各位好,請教一下 在英語論壇提問,現在式和過去式該如何選擇,並以例子說明 Case 1 Tom: Hey, you! Bob: I'm sorry. Do/Did you mean me? 網友jutfrank: Both are possible. I'll explain why below. Related side point: The sense of 'mean' here is similar to 'refer to'. Bob could say Are/Were you referring to me? Case 2 Tom: Perhaps we should try another approach. Bob: What do/did you mean? 網友jutfrank: Only 'do' is appropriate here. Both Tom and Bob are presently engaged in the conversation. Compare this to Case 1, where the two speakers are not presently engaged in a conversation until Bob responds. I do think though that the present tense 'Do' is more likely in Case 1 because, from the moment of Bob's response, they begin to be presently engaged. Related side point: Can you see how the sense of 'mean' is different from in Case 1? It does not mean 'refer to'. (Well, what Bob means is not obvious from this. In fact, he could mean What are you referring to? but I imagine a paraphrase of Bob's response as: Please expand on what you just said.) https://tinyurl.com/y3hujh3c ---------- 想請教,不太理解jutfrank在最一段講的內容: 他先說 Can you see how the sense of 'mean' is different from in Case 1? It does not mean 'refer to'. 又說 In fact, he could mean What are you referring to? 我的問題是,他既然說It does not mean 'refer to'. 怎麼又會說he could mean What are you referring to? 這兩個不都是refer to嗎?在我理解,他是說「這個mean不意味著'refer to',但Bob 可能是指'What are you referring to?'」 請問這兩句話沒有前後矛盾嗎? 'refer to'的現在進行式不就是'What are you referring to?'嗎? 為何jutfrank似乎是表示,這兩個是不一樣的東西?但明明就是同一片語(refer to), 不是嗎? 請教一下,謝謝! (有在該討論串提問,不過那個討論串拉得很長,或許得到回覆的機會不大。) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 1.169.76.223 (臺灣) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Eng-Class/M.1571124516.A.0DF.html ※ 編輯: scju (1.169.76.223 臺灣), 10/15/2019 15:28:54
kaifrankwind: 他不是用in fact來轉折了嗎,就是說明更多修正/補充 10/15 17:11
kaifrankwind: 原本的說法 10/15 17:11
kaifrankwind: 「事實上…」這邊是他最完整公允的想法:他覺得Bob 10/15 17:15
kaifrankwind: 很高機率如何如何,但他也想表示他不能保證Bob一定 10/15 17:15
kaifrankwind: 是如何如何 10/15 17:15
感謝K大! ※ 編輯: scju (1.169.76.223 臺灣), 10/15/2019 20:44:01